+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signings from non-league football

Re: Signings from non-league football

I think the problem now is that people want an off the shelf top rate player. the idea of actually coaching and improving players is completely foreign to most fans, and managers. Its for this reason that so many players go on to better things after leaving us. We sign a player and he's instantly labelled as rubbish or not up to it, booted out to the reserves and left to rot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We're far better at turning good footballers into non-league players.
    Solomon taiwo

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I think the problem now is that people want an off the shelf top rate player. the idea of actually coaching and improving players is completely foreign to most fans, and managers. Its for this reason that so many players go on to better things after leaving us. We sign a player and he's instantly labelled as rubbish or not up to it, booted out to the reserves and left to rot.
    I don't disagree with your general point but am struggling to think of too many players in recent years who have gone to better things other than those for which we got a good fee or wouldn't sign a new contract. Gestede is definitely one, possibly Velikonja, but I can't think of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I don't disagree with your general point but am struggling to think of too many players in recent years who have gone to better things other than those for which we got a good fee or wouldn't sign a new contract. Gestede is definitely one, possibly Velikonja, but I can't think of others.
    yeah maybe "go on to better things" was the wrong phrase to use. We just seem to sign players and scrap them after they played a few games as they have not scored a hatrick on their debut. always liked the look of Tom Adeyemi, Le fondre, all played regular championship football for their previous clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    yeah maybe "go on to better things" was the wrong phrase to use. We just seem to sign players and scrap them after they played a few games as they have not scored a hatrick on their debut. always liked the look of Tom Adeyemi, Le fondre, all played regular championship football for their previous clubs.
    Agree entirely with that.We have spent millions and have very little to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Showers
    Yep ,take that all you legends old "Nookie Bear" was way ahead of all of you.

As youth player was a prolific goal scorer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Agree entirely with that.We have spent millions and have very little to show for it.

been looking through this... make painful reading .http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team...Tabs=transfers

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Doesn't involve City, but this is a nice story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38519179

Charlie Oatway wasn't a bad signing from non league.
    As long as you keep him away from Chip Shops.