Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
But we are not talking about poor attendance though are we. We are still talking about children that attend over 90% of the school year.

I would prefer a system with dialogue between parents and teachers, over the lines of. I would like to take a week off because its best for me, the teacher then says a) this is an important time so i wouldn't think its for the best (ie exams, or important work), or b) yes that's fine his/her attendance is good. here is some school work to take.

Im fully behind fines for families who has attended dropping towards the 80% mark. Im fully behind helping teachers and schools. Children should be at school.

However fining children who have attendance over the 90% mark is simply raising cash.
The problem is. as soon as schools give in to such demands, the floodgates are well and truly opened. How much effort is required for a teacher to bring a kid up to speed with other kids, having missed two weeks because his parents felt a sense of entitlement to a holiday?

Maybe kids with a 98% or above attendance could be rewarded with some extra days off for a holiday. If my attendance at work was 92%, I'd get a disciplinary. In fact, I had a disciplinary for having 2 periods of 3 days off in an 18 month period.