+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Corbyn the Cold War spy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Corbyn the Cold War spy

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Give it a few years and he'll be out of the way, and this experimental period of immaturity and silliness in British politics will be over. Given time, he will be reviled and laughed at even more than Michael Foot or the hapless Gordon Brown.

It's just a phase that's all. Just a phase. Just a like a fancy new crepe shop that pops up. People think "Oooh that's new let's give it a try." Responses range from "ooh lovely" to "uuurgh that's odd". And eventually the fad or phase goes away. Years later people wonder what the fuss was all about. The only people that don't need to experiment are the ones who know it isn't new and was done all before, decades ago, and resulted in disaster. To them, it is money for old rope. To those who don't remember it they think it's new or novelty. But it's just a phase. Give it time and one way or another, most will come to their senses and he'll barely figure in the annals of history.
    Patronising or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Those of us of a certain age have definitely seen it all before, tax and spend, boom and bust, inflation, recession. The problems are always there - they are the issues you have to face when trying to run a country and economy arent they ?.

Anyone else remember the 70's, semi permanent strikes, 3 day weeks, massive wage increases for public sector workers, not being very productive "sick man of Europe" etc triggers inflation etc etc rinse and repeat. That situation had to be fixed, you cant fix that though without some tough choices.

I remember the 80's,90's and then we reset when Blair came back in - spent too much again - same story.

The miners strike was a mistake, but seeing as Scargill would never have a vote on it!! he was not without blame.

Corbyn and Co - at that time - were very much in mould of Che Guevara uber protesting, secondary picketing on behalf of Polish apple pickers etc. So it's without much surprise to hear that a former Czech spy - paid them 10k to speak to them in the hope of gaining information or getting them to adopt a certain policy etc.

Whether Corbyn knew he was a spy etc - will never be established, the problem was that he (Corbyn) was getting paid by them - so potentially he was theirs. The same problem applies somewhat to a lesser extent to Livingstone - who yesterday admitted meeting a KGB spy, who was an under cover reporter.

Case to answer - yes, were they duped into it - probably, are they spies - no I dont think so, maybe a little susceptible to influence perhaps. The real issue being - were they really paid 10k ? - I would thought this was against Parliamentary rules - and what were they paid for ? - I dont think has been addressed.
    I think that's a particularly one eyed interpretation of British politics over the past forty years, but you're entitled to your opinion and that's fine - you said what you did in a way that didn't come across like a world weary teacher talking down to their pupils.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Patronising or what?
    I thought he was being hopeful. Corbyn is the next PM, not even Murdoch can save May now. Before the last election, the thought of Corbyn being PM didn't fill me with much hope. Now, I am as desperate to see him as PM as I have been for anyone in my lifetime.