Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
Eoin Doyle springs to mind - similar age to Mendez-Laing and had been tearing up League 1 before he joined us.

If memory serves there was a mixed reaction of hope and disappointment when Doyle signed. Hope that he could make the step up, but disappointment there wasn't a bigger name signing, given our position and appetite following relegation.

As it was, Doyle might well have been a decent striker, but at the time, we were about as creative as concrete and we went through many strikers, all who failed for us because our midfield was never sorted out, neither did we have any pace or width.

Warnock saw this as a priority and it would be interesting to see how a confident Doyle of the time would have done for the current, more creative Cardiff City.

There's also the aspect of us having lowered our expectations. We know we're not going to be spending big money.
I thought Doyle did pretty well at the back end of 2014/15 for us and was surprised when Slade allowed him to go out on loan a few months later, but, given how he fared at Preston and where he is now, our former manager was right to do what he did - his decision to sign Doyle in the first place doesn't look a great one though.

I'm happy with the signing of Etheridge and Mendez-Laing, but I can't help thinking I would not be as willing to say that if Slade had signed them given the way I felt about him by the time he was relieved of managerial duties.