+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have Cardiff City fans forgiven Vincent Tan without realising it?

Re: Have Cardiff City fans forgiven Vincent Tan without realising it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Except he's made a large amount of it up.

And, he's essentially telling anyone who still finds Tan's actions reprehensible to just get over it. It still amazes me that there is more ire directed towards fellow fans for still demanding answers to Tan's years of folly, than there is to Tan for creating an almighty mess in a short amount of time. I guess many live in hope that he'll do it all again and plow millions on expensive players with the promise of the club being debt free in another 5 years.
    Get over it

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Get over it
    That doesn't invalidate my argument at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    I would hope he see's the club as his...I think you have a serious issue understanding the difference between supporting/following something and actually owning it. I can't imagine what you must be like on Instagram!
    I'm not dense enough to be on Instagram.

Id say that's a wise decision for you :)

Are you sure?

Blimey, I'd wager that the fun never stops at Chez Kris.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    Id say that's a wise decision for you :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Are you sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Blimey, I'd wager that the fun never stops at Chez Kris.
    The stupidity never ends with you three.

That is completely not what you said a few posts back. You stated, almost factually, that someone told Tan that it wouldn't be a problem. I agree, no-one stood up to his ideas on the board, but for you to state that people on the board encouraged him is without any basis at all. Similarly, Borley offered no resistance to Hammam when he floated similar ideas that were greeted less than favourably with a fans get together in the board room of Ninian Park.

I appreciate Borley was funding the club from his kids' inheritance etc etc, and I appreciate he needed his money back. What I could not appreciate was his bare faced lies that if the club didn't get the "investment" (plus 7% interest, must be paid back) they would hit the wall. Some people still swallow that as a fact, but the club had steered clear of the HMRC waters under TG's stewardship and the club were building for a promising future built on solid foundations and with the club living within its means.

Tan goes on about how he has to put in millions every year to keep the club alive. What he doesn't point out is that the club are losing that money because of decisions he made a few years ago (and I'm not talking merely the rebrand here).

People here quite rightly say that Tan should be judged on actions, in which case the often postponed debt to equity exercise. How is that progressing?
    I said he was ill advised. I agree that phrase is open to interpretation, but he was ill-advised to do it.

Did someone actually say "it won't be a problem?" Obviously I don't know, I wasn't there. But I think it's fair to say that either someone DID say that or at least didn't tell him it would be.

I think you, and the gunman, are taking my original post literally, picking up on one small extract out of context to discredit my opinion and glossing over the meaning behind it.

The stupidity never ends with you three.
    The sense never even begins with you Mr Moans.

That is completely not what you said a few posts back. You stated, almost factually, that someone told Tan that it wouldn't be a problem. I agree, no-one stood up to his ideas on the board, but for you to state that people on the board encouraged him is without any basis at all. Similarly, Borley offered no resistance to Hammam when he floated similar ideas that were greeted less than favourably with a fans get together in the board room of Ninian Park.

I appreciate Borley was funding the club from his kids' inheritance etc etc, and I appreciate he needed his money back. What I could not appreciate was his bare faced lies that if the club didn't get the "investment" (plus 7% interest, must be paid back) they would hit the wall. Some people still swallow that as a fact, but the club had steered clear of the HMRC waters under TG's stewardship and the club were building for a promising future built on solid foundations and with the club living within its means.

Tan goes on about how he has to put in millions every year to keep the club alive. What he doesn't point out is that the club are losing that money because of decisions he made a few years ago (and I'm not talking merely the rebrand here).

People here quite rightly say that Tan should be judged on actions, in which case the often postponed debt to equity exercise. How is that progressing?
    I said he was ill advised. I agree that phrase is open to interpretation, but he was ill-advised to do it.

Did someone actually say "it won't be a problem?" Obviously I don't know, I wasn't there. But I think it's fair to say that either someone DID say that or at least didn't tell him it would be.

I think you, and the gunman, are taking my original post literally, picking up on one small extract out of context to discredit my opinion and glossing over the meaning behind it.

Quite how you claim my "didn't it go along the lines of...?" is "stated almost factually" is clutching at straws a bit surely?

Finally, at no point have I told you to "get over it" I thought I was very clear that I understood why people can't, I really do but speaking as someone who is the wrong side of 50, trust me, life is far too precious to be lived in the past.
    You can choose to dwell on the past, think of city with anger, sadness or ambivalence if you wish, that is absolutely your choice how you live your life. I just think it's a little sad, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

Apologies if I have, you've now corrected it and I agree that no-one told Tan it would be a problem. Of course, Tan DID know there was a problem because he reversed his decision, with a letter that painted a grim future for the club (one without Nicky Maynard and Kim Bo Kyung) and as soon as that letter was published a number of fans immediately spoke for all of us by apologising profusely to Tan. So, going back to the OP and the inflammatory Echo article that portrays more ignorance than actual newsworthiness, the fans effectively forgave Tan when he initially reversed his decision and threatened to take his ball home.

Tan has his apologists, he always will while there's a fat wallet in his pocket that may hold the key to Premier League football.

Finally you did say

"but you must surely get to the point of forgetting about it and going back to enjoying your football or you REALLY forget about it and go and do something that does make you happy. If posting the same old arguments about Tan is what makes people happy then surely they need to reevaluate their life choices."

That is an elaborate way of saying "get over it".

Likewise, I think it's sad that someone who stuck two fingers up to the club's fine history and tradition still gets allowances from people purely because he could decide to fund a promotion push at some case. Each to their own and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    The sense never even begins with you Mr Moans.
    You are adding nothing to the thread other than playground insults, so I'm using the ignore user button. Tara love.

Apologies if I have, you've now corrected it and I agree that no-one told Tan it would be a problem. Of course, Tan DID know there was a problem because he reversed his decision, with a letter that painted a grim future for the club (one without Nicky Maynard and Kim Bo Kyung) and as soon as that letter was published a number of fans immediately spoke for all of us by apologising profusely to Tan. So, going back to the OP and the inflammatory Echo article that portrays more ignorance than actual newsworthiness, the fans effectively forgave Tan when he initially reversed his decision and threatened to take his ball home.

Tan has his apologists, he always will while there's a fat wallet in his pocket that may hold the key to Premier League football.
    SOME fans apologised I agree, but mostly due to the let's be honest here, borderline racist comments.

I also believe that those of us who kept going to games did more to change his mind than any boycott. Evidence? His attitude to the boycott era was pretty much "I'll find new fans" We all wore blue (after the people who just wanted to see us in the prem buggered off) Every week on 19.27 we chanted we'll always be blue until finally we/dalman/choo/ mrs tan convinced him to change.

We needed him then, to stave off HMRC and possibly the end of the football club, not for promotion.

When did I forgive him? The day I saw city run out back in their rightful colours.

SOME fans apologised I agree, but mostly due to the let's be honest here, borderline racist comments.

I also believe that those of us who kept going to games did more to change his mind than any boycott. Evidence? His attitude to the boycott era was pretty much "I'll find new fans" We all wore blue (after the people who just wanted to see us in the prem buggered off) Every week on 19.27 we chanted we'll always be blue until finally we/dalman/choo/ mrs tan convinced him to change.

We needed him then, to stave off HMRC and possibly the end of the football club, not for promotion.

When did I forgive him? The day I saw city run out back in their rightful colours.
    You don't find using his mum was pathetic or weird? Perhaps I have more respect for my mother than he does his, so maybe I struggle to understand his methodology.

He changed his mind after the crowds started plummeting and he needed to win them back. Wasn't there a cup game against Colchester that was attended by fewer than 5,000 (a good crowd in my day)? Didn't he change his mind shortly after this televised game?

A lot of fans panicked when the carrot of £100m investment (aka a loan) was removed. It was almost pitiful to watch.

Fans were standing at 19:27 in the Championship season - I was one, and was yanked down by a red scarf wearing bloke who told me "we play in fvcking red now". The protest grew when results got bad, just as Tan's standing has improved as the club win 5 from 5. Who'd a thunk it?

You are adding nothing to the thread other than playground insults, so I'm using the ignore user button. Tara love.
    :rolleyes:

I contributed - succinctly - much earlier in the thread.

if you want to stick your fingers in your ears and just keep shouting about how much you still hate Tan, that's up to you.

Do you honestly believe that? I think he knew very well that it would be unpopular, but felt his investment entitled him to do what he wanted with the club. There was even an acknowledgment in the club's rebrand statement, so it had clearly been considered.

"We are only too aware that the change of colour is a radical and some would say revolutionary move which will be met with unease and apprehension by a number of supporters, along with being seen as controversial by many."

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't move on now he has reversed it, but let's be real about what actually happened.

Groundhog Day zzzzz

Terence you're getting roped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Do you honestly believe that? I think he knew very well that it would be unpopular, but felt his investment entitled him to do what he wanted with the club. There was even an acknowledgment in the club's rebrand statement, so it had clearly been considered.

"We are only too aware that the change of colour is a radical and some would say revolutionary move which will be met with unease and apprehension by a number of supporters, along with being seen as controversial by many."

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't move on now he has reversed it, but let's be real about what actually happened.

Groundhog Day zzzzz

No he isn't. We're having a discussion that doesn't involve petty insults despite our obvious lack of agreement. There's not much more to say on the matter though, and the Echo have got their talking point from yet another click-bait story that has roped us all in.

No he isn't. We're having a discussion that doesn't involve petty insults despite our obvious lack of agreement. There's not much more to say on the matter though, and the Echo have got their talking point from yet another click-bait story that has roped us all in.
    You're just repeating things you have said hundreds, possibly thousands of times.

Utterly pointless

You don't find using his mum was pathetic or weird? Perhaps I have more respect for my mother than he does his, so maybe I struggle to understand his methodology.

He changed his mind after the crowds started plummeting and he needed to win them back. Wasn't there a cup game against Colchester that was attended by fewer than 5,000 (a good crowd in my day)? Didn't he change his mind shortly after this televised game?

A lot of fans panicked when the carrot of £100m investment (aka a loan) was removed. It was almost pitiful to watch.

Fans were standing at 19:27 in the Championship season - I was one, and was yanked down by a red scarf wearing bloke who told me "we play in fvcking red now". The protest grew when results got bad, just as Tan's standing has improved as the club win 5 from 5. Who'd a thunk it?
    Using his mum was weird but the alternative was "you were right I was wrong" and that just isn't in Tan's DNA.

Yes there was that cup game, but what was the attendance against Portsmouth in the cup this season?

Sure, some fans panicked a bit because they thought the withdrawal of his investment would effectively kill the club. Would it have done? Who knows, but who wanted to take that chance? And do you really think a couple of panicky letters in the Echo made any difference?

I had similar arguments with Reds in the ground. Their actions were shameful. Funny that since we got relegated I've not seen the protagonists since.

Groundhog Day zzzzz

WHO THE FVCK IS TERENCE?

And, just like you do, I'll post what I want, to who I want, when I want on whatever subject I want.

You're just repeating things you have said hundreds, possibly thousands of times.

Utterly pointless
    What is the point to anything we post?

WHO THE FVCK IS TERENCE?

And, just like you do, I'll post what I want, to who I want, when I want on whatever subject I want.
    Then don't moan about people wasting their lives on the rebrand subject you hypocrite

What is the point to anything we post?
    To give our opinions and learn new things about people.