Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I'm not so sure about that - it's pretty obvious that not all of the article was pasted into the OP.

Also, although I accept that the following will probably lead to me being accused of being an IRA apologist, there are two sides to the argument, as applied to Ireland, outlined in the article. Of course, the Brighton bombing was one of a series of outrages perpetrated by the IRA which cannot, and should never be, condoned, but the inference of the article appears to be that the murder of politicians and/or their family members is somehow worse than all of the other killings carried out, by both sides, in that period lasting from the sixties through to the nineties. I lived through that time and can remember, for example, Bloody Sunday which would, surely, have made a huge impression on many young Catholics in Northern Ireland at that time.

Thirteen years after the Brighton bombing came the Good Friday Agreement which was supported on all sides of the political spectrum - should those who enabled the likes of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness to play a part in the governing of Northern Ireland by voting for the agreement also be condemned? Jeremy Corbyn voted in favour of the Good Friday Agreement and I believe that articles like this one

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...rthern-ireland

offer a more genuine analysis of his attitude towards that country than the one portrayed in the article.

In my opinion, Jeremy Corbyn's weakness when it comes to antisemitism and Brexit raise legitimate questions about his worthiness to become Prime Minister, but I don't think what he said and did about Northern Ireland thirty years and more ago (a time when the political landscape in that area was completely different to what it is now) should preclude him from getting the job.
Sorry cant agree with you on this one ,and he won't have changed his view either ,this is about suitability and security and the fact folk died .

""" [I]Jeremy Corbyn was arrested in 1986 taking part in a protest by IRA sympathisers to “show solidarity” with accused terrorists including the Brighton bomber, a Sunday Times investigation reveals.

Corbyn joined a picket outside the Old Bailey to oppose the “show trial” of a group including Patrick Magee, who was subsequently convicted of murdering five people at the 1984 Tory party conference.

Magee was also convicted with the other defendants of planning a massive bombing campaign in London and seaside resorts.

Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, defended her leader this morning for speaking out openly at the time, adding that Mr Corbyn’s position was “not having open support for the IRA”.""

And has he not since attended some strange events, and remembrances ?