+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Trump on the Middle East

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Trump on the Middle East

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not saying Trump is another Hitler or anything, but I've been watching "The Nazis, A Warning From History" in the last couple of weeks and, although I knew that he was thought to be lazy, I didn't realise quite how lazy he was until I saw last week's episode. Hitler was seen to be hardly a details man as well as the programme claimed that some of the Nazi's worst pre war excesses were more down to underlings doing what they thought the Fuhrer (who it seems was willing to rubber stamp an awful lot , rather than go deep into what was proposed) wanted, than at the insistence of the man himself.

I repeat, I'm not accusing Donald Trump of being Hitler Mark Two, but I think there appear to be some parallels in the way the two men operate(d).
    I've seen many people who are convinced he is just like him, I have no idea what to say to these people anymore, they are comparing Trump who has never killed anyone as far as I'm aware to Hitler who killed millions, how do go about having a sensible logical conversation with someone who thinks like that? He's offensive yes, but he is not a murderer.

'The definition of indoctrination is the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically'

People are calling Trump and his supporters Nazis to dehumanise them, it gives them a easy moral justification to inflict online abuse and violence towards them, it's a very dangerous path imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I've seen many people who are convinced he is just like him, I have no idea what to say to these people anymore, they are comparing Trump who has never killed anyone as far as I'm aware to Hitler who killed millions, how do go about having a sensible logical conversation with someone who thinks like that? He's offensive yes, but he is not a murderer.

'The definition of indoctrination is the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically'

People are calling Trump and his supporters Nazis to dehumanise them, it gives them a easy moral justification to inflict online abuse and violence towards them, it's a very dangerous path imo.
    I agree it's a dangerous comparison, i tend to avoid making it because it tends to be counter productive.

I dont think most people making the comparison are saying that trump is going to kill 20 million people, but in the same breath i dont think Hitler in the 30s would have realised what would pan out over the coming decade.

TOBWs comparison was an interesting one and doesn't imply that trump will murder anyone. Perhaps there is a better charismatic leader who makes bold statements and leaves things for others to sort out the details who would be a better example.
    Vincent Tan? Hogo Chávez? Castro?

I think Trump is someone who has and will attract Nazi supporters, but I agree that, based on what he's done up to now anyway, there is little, if anything, to justify any claims that he is another Hitler.

I'm talking only in terms of the way Hitler and Trump approach(ed) the task of running their country and it would appear that there are what I'd say were dangerous parallels between them - nothing to do with their politics, more the type of men they are/were and whether that would be a problem in a job like that - obviously, it was for one of them.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 16-02-17 at 16:04.

If anything Trump is more interesting that Hitler as Trump could be fact-checked in almost real time and yet still people voted for him. Where Trump does compare obviously being in the early days of Hitler's leadership rather than where Nazism was leading to.

Jonathan Pie makes the point that shutting opposing views down is exactly what the left should be fighting against rather than copying, and Bernie Sanders has a video where he talks to (I think it's people in his own state) Trump voters and tries to engage in debate with the audience being pretty receptive to his views by the end. Dehumanising ordinary Trump supporters seems to be far more the former than the latter.

Have you asked them to substantiate their opinion?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I agree it's a dangerous comparison, i tend to avoid making it because it tends to be counter productive.

I dont think most people making the comparison are saying that trump is going to kill 20 million people, but in the same breath i dont think Hitler in the 30s would have realised what would pan out over the coming decade.

TOBWs comparison was an interesting one and doesn't imply that trump will murder anyone. Perhaps there is a better charismatic leader who makes bold statements and leaves things for others to sort out the details who would be a better example.
    Vincent Tan? Hogo Chávez? Castro?
    Do we have to compare him with anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think Trump is someone who has and will attract Nazi supporters, but I agree that, based on what he's done up to now anyway, there is little, if anything, to justify any claims that he is another Hitler.

I'm talking only in terms of the way Hitler and Trump approach(ed) the task of running their country and it would appear that there are what I'd say were dangerous parallels between them - nothing to do with their politics, more the type of men they are/were and whether that would be a problem in a job like that - obviously, it was for one of them.
    I wasn't saying that you are the same as the people I'm talking about but people are losing their minds over Trump, logic has gone out of the window for some, it's all getting a bit too crazy (even for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Have you asked them to substantiate their opinion?
    I haven't got the energy tbh, if you question anything it's just assumed that you must be a Trump supporter not because you are using common sense.

I haven't got the energy tbh, if you question anything it's just assumed that you must be a Trump supporter not because you are using common sense.
    You're not making any assumptions though, so that's ok.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    You're not making any assumptions though, so that's ok.
    I'm not making assumptions, I've watched the same arguments over and over again, I'm not a Trump supporter so why should I waste my time arguing with people about it? it's depressing, I'd rather be on here arguing with you about not arguing with them.