Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
Read this earlier.
Enjoyed it , but this attitude about modern football way and only good football being tippy tappy does my head in.

Warnocks team has pace and in Hoillet and Bennett 2 of the best natural footballers you'll see at this level.

I always go back to 'tempo' and that is what we more often than not show in abundance. We play at a fast pace and break quickly.

It's not kick and rush.

Yesterday we committed 4 players forward when Brentford's keeper or back 4 had the ball.

It was high risk as it left Bryson and Ralls exposed and they regularly walked through us.

However many many times we forced them into errors and created chances from that.

Brentford DID play some lovely stuff, but it was at the expense of their defending and they were hopeless at set pieces.

It was a thoroughly entertaining game.

Far far better than when we last had a manager who tried tippy tappy and hardly managed a shot on goal per game.

If we are going to change style to be like Brentford or Fulham we might have to accept a relegation and a few seasons in league 1 unless we've got another £100m to blow by replacing virtually all of our squad.

In the meantime I'm loving a hard working exciting side with some real pace and talent for the first time in years- and that includes Malkys time.
I don't think anyone is advocating a 'tippy tappy' style, just making observations about the kind of football Warnock likes to play, and it is direct. His main focus is the get the ball forward as quickly as possible, turn defenders and pressurise them high up the pitch, nothing wrong with that, it's worked for him for years, and it's working now, and it's entertaining, especially when the creative aspect, like working a goal, comes to fruition. Like you, i'm thoroughly enjoying it, it's crude, but very entertaining.

Where it does fall down, is at a higher level, where defenders are better, or teams can retain possession for longer periods. Teams that play this style may prosper in the short term, but will not in the long term, or as the opposition get better in quality. that's why Warnock is a championship manager, you'd have thought that with his track record, bigger clubs or clubs with more aspiration than ours, would've come knocking, to my knowledge, they haven't, maybe that's because if a club has serious ambitions of progressing, then Warnock's style will not serve a club too well at a higher level.

For the record, I like him, and i'm loving the style of play, the excitement and willingness to win games, I love the rawness of Mendez-Laing, the unpredictability of Sol Bamba, the reinvention of Zohore, the appreciation Morrison is now getting, and the willingness of Hoilett under Warnock-i'm having a ball, and not in any way being critical of Warnock, just a shame that there aren't more people at the ground to witness it.