+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lack of Composure in Possession

Lack of Composure in Possession

Why do our players look so terrified when in possession?

Huddersfield in comparison (and virtually every team that we've played this season) look more composed and comfortable on the ball. We made them look like Barcelona Saturday.

I know our lack of winning any possession stat is not a new thing but when we get the ball it's like a ****ing hot potato. We can't wait to get rid of it.

Not only does this frustrate home support but putting our laces through it every time we get it away from home makes our park the bus strategy 10 times harder to pull off to any degree of success.

Re: Lack of Composure in Possession

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Because they're not very good at football? This isn't exactly new, we shit ourselves with the ball last year.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

Huddersfield in comparison (and virtually every team that we've played this season) look more composed and comfortable on the ball. We made them look like Barcelona Saturday.

I know our lack of winning any possession stat is not a new thing but when we get the ball it's like a ****ing hot potato. We can't wait to get rid of it.

Not only does this frustrate home support but putting our laces through it every time we get it away from home makes our park the bus strategy 10 times harder to pull off to any degree of success.
    And there was me moaning that Hoilett keeps the ball too long, running into defenders and losing the ball when a pass would be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Because they're not very good at football? This isn't exactly new, we shit ourselves with the ball last year.
    I think making a mistake terrifies them to a point that they’re making more mistakes, it’s not difficult to pass the ball 10 yards

Our players just don't have the quickness of thought or anticipation that 99% of other premier league players do. When Warnock says we're limited, he's not wrong.

Playing a passing game to cut through teams requires intelligence and movement, which most of our squad don't have.

We need new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Our players just don't have the quickness of thought or anticipation that 99% of other premier league players do. When Warnock says we're limited, he's not wrong.

Playing a passing game to cut through teams requires intelligence and movement, which most of our squad don't have.

We need new players.
    Some of them do. But you are right, and its difficult When you won’t get much time before pressed.
    Even at 10 yards. But it also comes down to how the team is set up, doesn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Some of them do. But you are right, and its difficult When you won’t get much time before pressed.
    Even at 10 yards. But it also comes down to how the team is set up, doesn’t it?
    Even if we set up to play a passing game, our current crop wouldn't be able to execute it properly.

I'd say the players that have the ability to play that kind of game would be Bennett, Camarasa, Arter (at a push), Junior, Reid. Everyone else just seems like a one trick pony. All good at one thing, just not passing.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I think making a mistake terrifies them to a point that they’re making more mistakes, it’s not difficult to pass the ball 10 yards
    They're just panicking, constantly. The pace of the game is that much higher, Ralls etc simply can't do it. It's mental. Morrison would have had about 5 goals in the Championship now. He gobbled up free headers in the Champ, now he's maybe trying too hard.

Most of our players are just not that skilful. The basics such as ball control and passing is sadly lacking. Hence our inability to play out from the back and why we give up possession to every team we come across.

We need new players.
    I think it is a matter of coaching and a deliberate choice of tactics rather than player ability. People don't get to be professionals at Championship/Premier League level without the basic ability to pass reasonably accurately. We simply don't attempt to do so. Our guys are obviously told to get it forward as quickly as possible without any real regard for accuracy. Arter is an example. When he first arrived he would win the ball, calmly bring under control, and look for someone to play a pass too. He moved the ball forward but usually.accurately. He has now joined the headless chicken bunch and was as bad as anybody on Saturday. The sad thing is that we can pass as shown by our 17 pass goal against, I think, Brighton. Two years of coaching by Warnock and his assistants have produced the rubbish we saw at the weekend. I don't expect us to be like Manchester City but I don't expect us to be like a bad Legue 2 side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I think it is a matter of coaching and a deliberate choice of tactics rather than player ability. People don't get to be professionals at Championship/Premier League level without the basic ability to pass reasonably accurately. We simply don't attempt to do so. Our guys are obviously told to get it forward as quickly as possible without any real regard for accuracy. Arter is an example. When he first arrived he would win the ball, calmly bring under control, and look for someone to play a pass too. He moved the ball forward but usually.accurately. He has now joined the headless chicken bunch and was as bad as anybody on Saturday. The sad thing is that we can pass as shown by our 17 pass goal against, I think, Brighton. Two years of coaching by Warnock and his assistants have produced the rubbish we saw at the weekend. I don't expect us to be like Manchester City but I don't expect us to be like a bad Legue 2 side.
    It's player ability in my opinion. Most of the squad is the same as what OGS/Slade had.

Warnock simply identified what we COULD do, and built his tactics around it.

Now, we need better, more intelligent players.

It's player ability in my opinion. Most of the squad is the same as what OGS/Slade had.

Warnock simply identified what we COULD do, and built his tactics around it.

Now, we need better, more intelligent players.
    I agree that with the squad we have we can't expect them to play a wholly passing based game. Given that, I don't disagree with Warnock's basic approach.He did wonders to get us promoted that way although it was horrible to watch at times. But the low level of accuracy with the passes we do play is shockingly bad. It is possible to get the ball forward quickly and accurately. A few passes to our strikers feet rather than 7 feet in the air hoping he might flick on to teammates who are usually nowhere near him would be a start.

I agree that with the squad we have we can't expect them to play a wholly passing based game. Given that, I don't disagree with Warnock's basic approach.He did wonders to get us promoted that way although it was horrible to watch at times. But the low level of accuracy with the passes we do play is shockingly bad. It is possible to get the ball forward quickly and accurately. A few passes to our strikers feet rather than 7 feet in the air hoping he might flick on to teammates who are usually nowhere near him would be a start.
    Yeah agree with your last point. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

I honestly think we don't have many players who have a footballing brain. Look at the pained expressions on the faces of Gunnarsson, Ralls, Morrison and Manga as examples. When they're about to attempt a forward pass beyond 5 metres it becomes a lottery, hit & miss! They have no self-confidence when it comes to passing the ball, just hoof it in the air with some hang-time and "hope" a teammate can somehow get on the end of it.

Good post (well, I agree with you anyway!). Our players have proved plenty of times in the past two years that they are better than they looked on Saturday, but the way we play means that we look appalling when we have a bad day or someone gets the measure of us.

Essentially, we play the way Warnock sides have played throughout his thirty seven or thirty eight years in management and, at 70, I don't see him changing his approach any time soon.

On reading the above the general consensus is they lack skill and intelligence, I have to say if that's the fact then its remarkable how we got promoted over much better teams and still sit above the bottom three.

We seem to struggle in my view against teams that press us quickly .

I think we play with a fear factor which contributes to mistakes.

When on the front foot we dont seem to find a striker in a channel or in space as we lack a natural movement in those positions.

We sometimes fail to set up effective long range shot opportunities .

We have an over reliance on Patterson as our outlet, and teams have worked him out.

We have no plan b ,we need to be able to change shape more often.

Our bench lacks an alternative option or threat.

I dont think Warnock is a bad tactician , in fact he's tried to move us on from last years bluntness approach to games ,he's just not been given the right tools to play with.

I think we need 5 players in , 2 strikers,2 front foot midfielders , and a right back

IF we stay up, I'd like to slowly faze in more technical players whilst keeping the mean streak/team spirit we have.

(Camarasa + Arter)

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    IF we stay up, I'd like to slowly faze in more technical players whilst keeping the mean streak/team spirit we have.

(Camarasa + Arter)
    That's the perfect balance, its a physical sport , these days you need to be physical , delivered in a clever and technical .