+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Giggs on the brink of Wales appointment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Giggs on the brink of Wales appointment

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't understand how you can dismiss Craig Bellamy's winning mentality. Sure he hasn't been at the best club in the country for 2 decades. Was that down to a lack of winning mentality or not having the same talent as a youngster? Bellamy worked up through the ranks during his career and was arguably at the peak of his powers during the second half of his career. He's not had the fortune to have had Giggs' talent, where he was always going to be a regular at Old Trafford.

I would suggest that Giggs' success came down to him being an unbelievably gifted footballer. He was doing things on the pitch as a teenager that Bellamy wasn't capable of, that's a certainty. I disagreed with the comfort zone comment and agree with you that Giggs still needed to work hard at Old Trafford to keep his place. However, I reckon to suggest Giggs has more of a winning mentality than a guy who probably had to work harder in his career to climb the ladder (then got close to the top in the latter stages of his career) is nonsense.

Give me someone who strives to make themselves better and will push themselves any day of the week. Given a darting analogy, take Peter Wright. Someone who, until he made his only world final, you'd never have considered for a major tournament. He hasn't the natural talent of someone like MVG or Taylor but has been absolutely focused on what he wants from the sport and how much work he needs to put into it to get where he wants to be. He still won't make world number 1 or world champion (in my view), but it won't be for his will to win.
    Another one mistaking effort and drive for a winning mentality.

Ive stated my opinion, im not repeating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Another one mistaking effort and drive for a winning mentality.

Ive stated my opinion, im not repeating myself.
    In which case, how do you assume Giggs has a winning mentality? Couldn't he equally just have been a part of an excellent team that won a staggering amount. If this creates a winning mentality, then how can that be replicated? It can't, unless Wales keep winning. If your argument is that Giggs has a winning mentality from winning, then the only way Wales can have a winning mentality is from winning, not from Giggs. Did Sir Alex Ferguson have that winning mentality as a footballer? Do top footballers who have a winning mentality usually go on to make excellent managers?

I'm not suggesting whether I think you are right or wrong, I don't understand where you are coming from.

In which case, how do you assume Giggs has a winning mentality? Couldn't he equally just have been a part of an excellent team that won a staggering amount. If this creates a winning mentality, then how can that be replicated? It can't, unless Wales keep winning. If your argument is that Giggs has a winning mentality from winning, then the only way Wales can have a winning mentality is from winning, not from Giggs. Did Sir Alex Ferguson have that winning mentality as a footballer? Do top footballers who have a winning mentality usually go on to make excellent managers?

I'm not suggesting whether I think you are right or wrong, I don't understand where you are coming from.
    Phil Neville, Paul Ince and Roy Keane also have that Man Yoo winning mentality.

Shit at football management mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

I've just looked down the current list of Premier league and football league managers. The number of managers who have had playing experience of the Premier League is unbelievably low - the list of very top Premier League footballers who are now managers is shorter than the list of things I enjoy about going shopping with the missus.

There are certainly more ex Premier league footballers who are now pundits. There are probably lots of others with different roles at different clubs. But as managers, I can see Harry Kewell at Crawley, Steve Bruce at Villa, Nigel Clough at Burton and I think that's it.

Arguably, the Premier League's most prized English managers at present are Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe. Neither have graced a Premier League game as a footballer.

Who has Phil Neville managed?

Who has Phil Neville managed?
    Salford City.

Salford City.
    Caretaker charge for 1 game, which they won, makes him a shit manager?

Caretaker charge for 1 game, which they won, makes him a shit manager?
    You asked who he managed. Don't get arsey because you didn't know the answer.

Just read an interesting Gary Neville quote tbh.

Along the lines of his international career was a waste of time, Man Yew was always more important. I'd suspect that was something Ferguson drummed into the young players, couldn't try that crap with Keane. if that was the case, how can Giggs thus tell anyone anything different?

"Oh Ben, I know Klopp doesn't want you playing in these friendlies but it would really be good for you. Yes, Utd was more important for me but wales should be more important for you".

On that score, he's got little credibility if he asks players to do something he was unwilling to do himself.

I didnt say it can be replicated, nor did I say top footballers go on to make excellent managers? Please point me to where I said that?

Wales do not have the quality for it to be replicated for starters, however I think being the most decorated player in British football, and one of the best players this country has ever prodcued, will do no harm in getting the players on his side. I also think it will help with the progression of the Ampadus and Woodburn as Giggs has first hand experience of being the "next big thing".

I was merely responding to the ridiculous suggestion Bellamy has more of a winning mentality than Giggs. I have given my reasons for thinking this is nonsense. Of course winning gives you a winning mentality. Wanting to win things and actually winning them are completely different. You used Peter Wright as an analogy earlier, he hasnt got the winning mentality, hes bottled several majors. I dont like Phil Taylor but hes got a winning mentality, and absolutely hates losing. However according to your logic because Wrights not as naturally talented as Phil but has done well with what talent he does posess he has more of a winning mentality?!?! Whatever next, Eddie the Eagle has more of a winning mentality than Daley Thompson!!?!?

This playing for a top side argument you are using doesnt really wash with me, not when Giggs played for 3 or 4 succesful United teams that had to be rebuilt. Might apply to someone with a bit part in a championship win but a guy who at one stage won 9 out of 11 championships?

When was the last time someone won back to back Premier Leagues? Giggs has played for teams that won 3 leagues on the trot, twice, and back to back to titles 5 times and you dont think he has a winning mentality? Just fortunate to play for a succesfull team for 20 years yeah?. Nothing to do with his ability and mental strength?

We obviously have a different interpretation of a winning mentality.