+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City v Jacks ... did you know

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: City v Jacks ... did you know

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We did the double/or even more during the last war albeit only ‘war time’ fixtures. A lot of our fans still think it’s war against them, not me, they are insignificant due to our lack of playing time against them. Realistically geographically Newport County should be our local derby rivals but that never materialised due to never playing each other on a regular basis. It’s Bristol City for me but that’s obviously an age thing, truth is we haven’t got a natural derby rival, the Swansea thing is a phoney trumped up derby really.
    Agree with this.

Its only really been a rivalry since about 1980 which puts it on a par with Brighton/Palace in terms of distance and history. Whilst the hatred is high nowadays between the 2 teams, its not really on a par with the big UK derbys in terms of history and tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Agree with this.

Its only really been a rivalry since about 1980 which puts it on a par with Brighton/Palace in terms of distance and history. Whilst the hatred is high nowadays between the 2 teams, its not really on a par with the big UK derbys in terms of history and tradition.
    I don't think that's quite true. My first real encounter with football hooliganism came at the end of 69/70 season when we beat the jacks 2-0 in Welsh Cup Semi Final Replay at the Vetch. I was fourteen at the time and went to the game with a gang of schoolmates. As soon as we got off the bus and walked into the town centre, there were a gang of Swansea fans waiting for any City fans who had just arrived and all hell broke loose. Our gang scattered to the four winds and I ended watching the game with two others out of the original ten or so who traveled. We only met up again at the bus station after the game and although none of us were involved in the fighting, it turned out that we had all seen a lot of it as it went on for a long time before the match.

I remember that all of us were taken aback by the fighting because none of us had been expecting it, so we were not aware of any ill feeling beforehand, but it was definitely there and the way the jacks were waiting for us must have been pre planned.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't think that's quite true. My first real encounter with football hooliganism came at the end of 69/70 season when we beat the jacks 2-0 in Welsh Cup Semi Final Replay at the Vetch. I was fourteen at the time and went to the game with a gang of schoolmates. As soon as we got off the bus and walked into the town centre, there were a gang of Swansea fans waiting for any City fans who had just arrived and all hell broke loose. Our gang scattered to the four winds and I ended watching the game with two others out of the original ten or so who traveled. We only met up again at the bus station after the game and although none of us were involved in the fighting, it turned out that we had all seen a lot of it as it went on for a long time before the match.

I remember that all of us were taken aback by the fighting because none of us had been expecting it, so we were not aware of any ill feeling beforehand, but it was definitely there and the way the jacks were waiting for us must have been pre planned.
    In those days I think the rivalry was a bit one-sided. My 1st ever match was Swansea v Sunderland, end of season 61/62. 26,000 in the Vetch. They needed a draw to stay up, Sunderland a win to go up, ended 1-1. Biggest cheer of the day was when they announced 'Cardiff City are relegated' [we were being thumped 8-3 at Everton].

Despite this, still don't hate the Swans, but loathe Bristol City. Worked and travelled to and in both cities for years. Always made welcome and had a laugh in Swansea, but in Bristol they hate us, and are, quite franky, a really odd crowd..