+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City a big club?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff City a big club?

I think it has been done to death over time but our potential is huge.

Can you imagine the crowds and interest if we could match the performance of a top 6 side for a sustained period?

I reckon we could achieve 40k plus on a regular basis which in effect would put us up there with the biggest if taking the size of the club at that time into account (The ground would get an expansion too I would guess). History obviously plays a big factor and ours from mid 80's until maybe the late 90's/2000s doesn't make for pretty reading.

The thirst for sports in our city is fairly obvious, hordes turn out for every sort of sports event that comes to town. If we could cement our place in the top flight, and get some young exciting players in, with a goalscorer (not asking for much!) then we could easily hit 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I think it has been done to death over time but our potential is huge.

Can you imagine the crowds and interest if we could match the performance of a top 6 side for a sustained period?

I reckon we could achieve 40k plus on a regular basis which in effect would put us up there with the biggest if taking the size of the club at that time into account (The ground would get an expansion too I would guess). History obviously plays a big factor and ours from mid 80's until maybe the late 90's/2000s doesn't make for pretty reading.
    But this is very unlikely to happen to any team already outside the "big 6". Since the Premier League started, there have only been 6 winners. Two of those teams have only won it once, they are not "big 6" and have failed to maintain any likelihood of doing it again. One of those teams has even played 3rd tier football since winning the Prem.

So, of the "big 6" only 4 of them have won the Prem. Of those, one of them has won it 13 times - 50%. with the next nearest winning it 5 times.

The best we can hope for is mid table mediocrity, if we can get back up.