+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has the city centre lost its charm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Has the city centre lost its charm?

And the pubs have reasonable prices, you can still get a pint for £2 in town, that’s very rare in many other UK cities.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And the pubs have reasonable prices, you can still get a pint for £2 in town, that’s very rare in many other UK cities.
    How charming.

Can't get a pint for £2 in Porthcawl.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No charm? It's always had the arcades, loads of pubs, a huge rugby stadium, a compact shopping area, the museum and gardens and a giant ****ing castle. All within one square mile. What more do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Sydney opera house....herds of wildebeest etc
    I need to shop around. Whenever I seem to go into town these days I'm paying 4 quid + for watered down lager.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I need to shop around. Whenever I seem to go into town these days I'm paying 4 quid + for watered down lager.
    Rummer, Borough, Live Lounge + most of the gay bars, are as cheap as chips (not used the gay bars myself as yet, but others swear by them)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Rummer, Borough, Live Lounge + most of the gay bars, are as cheap as chips (not used the gay bars myself as yet, but others swear by them)
    I'm sure that when I visited the Queen's Vaults, one afternoon in March of this year, I paid just under 2 quid for a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm sure that when I visited the Queen's Vaults, one afternoon in March of this year, I paid just under 2 quid for a pint.
    Haven’t been in there for about 18 months, unfortunately had 2 terrible meals in there and they didn’t give a toss

Mrs won’t go there again

Avoid BALES BAR, dear shit in there

Argh , you were the chap the barmaid was screaming after ,scared me too death .

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    How exactly would you water down lager? It comes in a sealed aluminium barrel, and is served through a CO2 pressurized tap. You'd have to pour a couple of inches of water into every pint you served. Unless someone knows better.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How exactly would you water down lager? It comes in a sealed aluminium barrel, and is served through a CO2 pressurized tap. You'd have to pour a couple of inches of water into every pint you served. Unless someone knows better.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone does.
    Put about an inch of water in a glass, place glass under the counter till a mug comes in

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Put about an inch of water in a glass, place glass under the counter till a mug comes in
    Cheating pint swiggers, other than cider wallahs, has become ubiquitous for yonks because it's ultra rare these days to happen upon a grog shop which has oversize lined glasses and a typical pint is 95%-97% liquid and 3%-5% froth. Most punters are too docile or shy to say "fill it up" and the real cull dunts are sometimes heard to remark "good head on that" when the bigger it is means the more they've been conned.

International

You can get a tool that fits in the top of the barrel just like the line coupler. It has a lever on it that when pressed depressurises the barrel as quickly or slowly as you press. You can then unscrew the valve add 8 pints of water and a few it back up again. Reconnect the gas line and it depressurises the barrel. The pub landlords and WMC stewards in the N East do it all the time.
    This is fact. The straightest landlord in Washington T&Wear showed me how to do it and offered to get me one of the things when I took over a pub for a short while . The landlord of my local sold about 80 barrels of beer later and cider a week. Imagine the income form 80 gallons of "beer" that didn't exist going into his sky every week? It was about 98 pence a pint for exhibition then. More like 3 50 now.
    The reason it was only 8 pints per barrel was because it didn't water the product down enough to be discernable by brewery checks if they spot checked your cellar.