+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smithies save from Ken Zero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Smithies save from Ken Zero

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Smithies > Etheridge all day for me
    Totally agree. I've been perplexed as to why Etheridge was first choice for so long, he's a liability. Smithies is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Totally agree. I've been perplexed as to why Etheridge was first choice for so long, he's a liability. Smithies is solid.
    I agree Smithies deserves the shirt but in what way was Etheridge a liability? Distribution not the best maybe but he was hardly error prone and has made some amazing saves during his time here. Harsh to turn on him now

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I agree Smithies deserves the shirt but in what way was Etheridge a liability? Distribution not the best maybe but he was hardly error prone and has made some amazing saves during his time here. Harsh to turn on him now
    My thoughts too, I've been impressed with Smithies but Etheridge has done a great job the last 2 seasons.

Etheridge has been an outstanding keeper for the most part. There's an awful lot of revisionism around him. Smithies has done well though and deserves to keep the shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Etheridge has been an outstanding keeper for the most part. There's an awful lot of revisionism around him. Smithies has done well though and deserves to keep the shirt
    Etheridge was outstanding in his first couple of years here, but he hasn't quite been at his best in terms of shot stopping this season and his kicking has become a glaring issue that seems to have affected his confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Etheridge was outstanding in his first couple of years here, but he hasn't quite been at his best in terms of shot stopping this season and his kicking has become a glaring issue that seems to have affected his confidence.
    Agreed. He'll be back though. A lot of "I told you so" etc though, from many posters who may want to revisit their posts after Smithies' performance vs Gillingham last season

Calling Etheridge a liability has got to be the most stupidly ludicrous pile of shite I have ever heard spouted on this forum and by God that is saying something.

Etheridge is too good to be a number two at a Championship club I suppose but Smithies certainly is as well. We’re fortunate to have both of them, Smithies does give me a lot more confidence though, seems a better all round goalie. His distribution is certainly an upgrade on Etheridge and his shot stopping, now he’s having a run in the team, is on par with Etheridge. It’s Smithies for me but without the worry of, say, Joe Day (after his Wigan performance) coming in in his absence. Bit of a surprise that we’re still hanging on to both of them so late in the window but with Day gone it looks as though both are staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Calling Etheridge a liability has got to be the most stupidly ludicrous pile of shite I have ever heard spouted on this forum and by God that is saying something.
    This. He could pretty much walk into most teams in the championship and some in the premiership.

His negatives are just highlighted in our team more as we require the keeper to kick a lot.