+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: More people being offended.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: More people being offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Have they though?

Maybe they've made that assumption on what they've seen or heard of him? Or maybe because he looks like enforcer type? (Apologies if I've made a racist assumption there)

If what you're saying is true then all new black players will be labelled in this way won't they?

I haven't heard the assumption made about Mohammed Salah, Lacazette, Rudiger, Bernardo Silva, Mendy, Tammy Abraham etc.

Getting back to the original point, some fans have made a song about their new hero. It's a bit cheeky, they're trying to be funny but once again, people are expected to refrain because somebody somewhere has deemed it offensive - not Lukaku mind you, just someone being offended on his behalf.
    And you've deemed it unoffensive on his behalf.

To me it does seem pretty harmless but surely you can see their point that it's another song about a black player based on a black stereotype which doesn't happen to white players. Kick it out are trying to make it an even environment for all players and must think this undermines that point.

Just because it isn't offensive or you don't find it offensive doesn't mean they don't have a point, the guy in charge of the Man United supporters club even backed Kick it out up on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    And you've deemed it unoffensive on his behalf.

To me it does seem pretty harmless but surely you can see their point that it's another song about a black player based on a black stereotype which doesn't happen to white players. Kick it out are trying to make it an even environment for all players and must think this undermines that point.

Just because it isn't offensive or you don't find it offensive doesn't mean they don't have a point, the guy in charge of the Man United supporters club even backed Kick it out up on the issue.
    I'm not deeming it unoffensive on his behalf though am I?

I'm simply stating my personal opinion. I'm not stating is as fact, whereas the people gettting offended on Lukak's behalf are assuming he's offended by it. As far as I know, Lukaku hasn't complained or even commented on it (which he could easily do, as Morata did last week) so perhaps we should take into account the feelings of the only person that matters here (i.e. lukaku).

Just because somebody gets offended by something doesn't mean that their viewpoint is the only one.

I'm not deeming it unoffensive on his behalf though am I?

I'm simply stating my personal opinion. I'm not stating is as fact, whereas the people gettting offended on Lukak's behalf are assuming he's offended by it. As far as I know, Lukaku hasn't complained or even commented on it (which he could easily do, as Morata did last week) so perhaps we should take into account the feelings of the only person that matters here (i.e. lukaku).

Just because somebody gets offended by something doesn't mean that their viewpoint is the only one.
    Is it just Lukaku's opinion that matters though? Surely this sort of thing is bigger than that?

Again how many songs are their about white stereotypes in football? Even if it isn't offensive as such surely you can see the point of Kick it out that they believe that songs that are based on someones race are holding back the progression of equality in sport?

Is it just Lukaku's opinion that matters though? Surely this sort of thing is bigger than that?

Again how many songs are their about white stereotypes in football? Even if it isn't offensive as such surely you can see the point of Kick it out that they believe that songs that are based on someones race are holding back the progression of equality in sport?
    Absolutely.

Which is why making an issue of this makes a mockery of dealing with the real racism that still exists.

Do you think the Man U fans who sing this are being racist, offensive or insulting to Lukaku?

Deal with the real issues and see this for what it is.

Just out of interest, how many songs are there about black stereotypes in football being sung today?

Just out of interest, how many songs are there about black stereotypes in football being sung today?
    Adebeyor
    Sol Campbell
    Lukaku
    Ian Wright
    Evra

Are all still sung today, I can't say I know the exhaustive list like. Football fans are generally good these terms in terms of racism and homophobia but it doesn't mean it's ok though.

Adebeyor
    Sol Campbell
    Lukaku
    Ian Wright
    Evra

Are all still sung today, I can't say I know the exhaustive list like. Football fans are generally good these terms in terms of racism and homophobia but it doesn't mean it's ok though.
    I thought the sol Campbell and Ian wright chants were related to homosexuality, rather than the colour of their skin?

The Lukaku one isn't racist (in my opinion)

The evra one was only sung by scousers who accused him of lying re: the Suarez incident.

So that just leaves Adebayor?

Hardly an epidemic is it?