+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Caroline Flack

Re: Caroline Flack

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    For the guys on anti depressants have you considered CBD?
    or this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What you on about? ‘Taking pride’. If it was a similar scenario today and me and my lot were talking about Harry Gregg dying I would imagine my missus would react the same way as I did about Caroline Flack.
    He was being a snob, basically saying "my mates have heard of Anthony Worrel Thompson what a bunch of thickos".

It's the same any time a reality tv star gets brought up, not having heard of them doesn't make you more intelligent. It mostly means you're just not the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    He was being a snob, basically saying "my mates have heard of Anthony Worrel Thompson what a bunch of thickos".

It's the same any time a reality tv star gets brought up, not having heard of them doesn't make you more intelligent. It mostly means you're just not the target audience.
    What a strange interpretation/accusation you have/make. There are more lenses than myopathic ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Take not having heard of the deceased as not being daft but as an unintended compliment.

'Bout five years ago I was roped into a pub quiz team with three others. One question was to identify as many of the 20 TV chefs whose faces appeared on a sheet of paper. I recognised two amongst them, Fanny Craddock and some limp-wristed herbert whose moniker escaped me. The others wrote in the names of 19 of them within a few minutes and were genuinely frustrated by their inability to recall the other's. I suspect they thought I was out of touch, or a bit dim, while I was thinking only those welded to their settees to view miles of useless crap would be so knowledgeable.
    TV chefs 🙈🙈🙈

Only more laughable when referred to as ‘celebrity chefs’. 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I guess the question is, would your missus be on the internet telling everyone that she hasn't heard of Harry Gregg?
    If ‘KnittingCircle.com’ had a thread titled ‘Harry Gregg’, I’m sure she would

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If ‘KnittingCircle.com’ had a thread titled ‘Harry Gregg’, I’m sure she would
    Is Harry Gregg a posher version of a Gregg's outlet for those with more disposal income like Prince Andrew who likes to down size now and then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    I use CBD for pain but there are lots of people who have reduced their meds or off them altogether since using CBD. There's no side effects either. I've seen enough people change their life through CBD to make me think there must be something in it. Worth looking into if you're looking to reduce use of anti depressants. You never know. It may change your lives too.
    I used to smoke weed for pain and it definitely helped

The modern cbd oils have the thc element taken out so it might be worth a go

You will be surprised how much research there is going on in psychiatry into its use alongside therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think people are trying to look for a black and white thing to blame in a situation that is lots of shades of grey.

She obviously had massive mental health issues; you don't kill yourself if you don't and you don't assault someone if you don't. That's not to say her assault shold be excused at all.

She was also a pretty famous person and was the sort of person tabloid newspapers always covered. Should they have not covered her assault charge? It definitely classes as news and they have every right to print it. Should they have hounded someone who was clearly mentally unstable as much as they did and then delete the stories after she killed herself?

It's a tragic situation where a young person has lost their life and who's family have now had their lives more or less ruined because of it.
    They definitely were within their rights to cover the “news” but some of it crossed a line, especially when it become clear she was suffering mental health problems.

As for the Father 4 Justice tweet. Disgraceful.

Not sure anyone will argue against anyone who mentions the domestic abuse. Disgusting if you're male/female/celeb/non celeb.

Also agree anyone in the spotlight should accept they will get a lot of press.

In some cases though they should just shut the ****ing **** up. Honestly. Just adding fuel to the fire, she doesn't deserve to be dead because she commited a crime and she's a celeb.

Idiots like Piers Morgan should also just say **** all as well, hideous specimen.

The World has changed so much over the last 50 years, there didn't seem nearly as many mental health issues when I was younger, or maybe there was and I wasn't aware?

Could it be that people are less mentally strong than they were many years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    The World has changed so much over the last 50 years, there didn't seem nearly as many mental health issues when I was younger, or maybe there was and I wasn't aware?

I'd say it's a couple of things. People are more likely to be open about it now (a good thing), and 50 years ago you were probably a kid or a teenager. So as an adult you'll be more likely to be informed.

I hadn't read the thread, no offence meant to anyone, some really good and honest posts, the point I was trying to make is what seems to have changed, as there seems a big increase even over the last twenty years?

On the one hand, people using the internet perhaps feel a greater pressure to look good and to appear if their lives are interesting to others (and the peer pressure that many younger people must surely be acknowledged) but on the other hand we do not know how many people suffered in isolation in years gone by.

Similarly, there must have been a lot of people out there who had pretty ugly and bitter personalities but whose opinions were confined to those around them, the people they worked with and fellow-pun-goers.

I hadn't read the thread, no offence meant to anyone, some really good and honest posts, the point I was trying to make is what seems to have changed, as there seems a big increase even over the last twenty years?
    No offence taken here.

You could even argue there is more to be stressed about nowadays? Was life a little slower then, out of a job in a Friday into a new one on a Monday, cheaper rent and bills, add in the pressures of the internet and the need to look and be your best at all times.

I don't think people are weaker, you could argue they are stronger in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    On the one hand, people using the internet perhaps feel a greater pressure to look good and to appear if their lives are interesting to others (and the peer pressure that many younger people must surely be acknowledged) but on the other hand we do not know how many people suffered in isolation in years gone by.

Similarly, there must have been a lot of people out there who had pretty ugly and bitter personalities but whose opinions were confined to those around them, the people they worked with and fellow-pun-goers.
    True I expect a lot of people had undiagnosed depression many years ago, and there was possibly even less help then?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    No offence taken here.

You could even argue there is more to be stressed about nowadays? Was life a little slower then, out of a job in a Friday into a new one on a Monday, cheaper rent and bills, add in the pressures of the internet and the need to look and be your best at all times.

I don't think people are weaker, you could argue they are stronger in some ways.
    Good points, I would say most people are doing at least double the amount of work they were doing 40 years ago, for the same job, the pressure has increased significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    No offence taken here.

I'm not sure if there is more to be stressed about these days and it wasn't always the case that a job could be left on a Friday and another one found on the Monday: people who have experiences a few recessions in the seventies and subsequently will confirm that, I'm sure. And although rents were possibly lower people didn't have luxury goods that are considered to be almost necessities these days, including cars.

Schlepping to work via a combination of Shanks's Pony and more than bus could be very time-consuming and many activities carried out by machinery and technology was more manual previously.

However, it's all relative and we have different expectations and pressures these days.

Heisenberg

True I expect a lot of people had undiagnosed depression many years ago, and there was possibly even less help then?
    Not just depression. Think of all of the other mental illnesses that would have gone undiagnosed.

People were just called 'nuts' or 'crazy' even 30/40 years ago and that was normality for that time. I remember growing up and knowing of certain people to avoid in my home town that, with hindsight, obviously had undiagnosed mental health issues but were seemingly treated as social pariahs instead of being supported to get help (that may have not even existed).

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Not just depression. Think of all of the other mental illnesses that would have gone undiagnosed.

People were just called 'nuts' or 'crazy' even 30/40 years ago and that was normality for that time. I remember growing up and knowing of certain people to avoid in my home town that, with hindsight, obviously had undiagnosed mental health issues but were seemingly treated as social pariahs instead of being supported to get help (that may have not even existed).
    True what you say, but i'd add that because of a lack of knowledge, people were more forgiving and accepting when i was growing up. I knew plenty of people who did some very odd stuff or who reacted badly in certain situations or who just couldn't cope at times, but because we didn't have the knowledge and exposure that exists today these people were just accepted for what they were and allowed for. Im not saying that was the case on every occasion, there was plenty of bullying going on, it was just more open as we didn't have the internet and because of that it could be regulated easier by people around them.

I do feel sorry for the younger generation, when i was growing up everyone was skint, parents out of work at times and really struggling to get by, people didn't have a pot to piss in where i grew up. It wasn't great at times, rent man banging the door while we hid upstairs, but i'd say that was half of my estate. I wasn't easy although it was a great leveller, nobody could pretend to be something that they weren't and if you acted like a **** you were sorted out. I'm thankful for my childhood.

50 years ago, there were huge mental health hospitals that took care (in most cases) of the mentally ill. There were some bad incidents with the types of treatment some patients were subjected to though, but in the main, mental health was a hidden subject.

For example, when I lived and worked in North London, there were 3 very large mental health hospitals within a 15 mile radius of where I was living, the biggest being Friern Barnet Hospital (Which boasted the longest single corridor in the World and is now a block of luxury flats). None of them exist anymore. When I was a teenager, in the Bridgend Borough, there were three mental health hospitals - Glanrhyd; Penyfai and Parc (The prison is built on the site of Parc Hospital). Now there is only one.

Fast forward to the late 1980's and Thatcher introduced "Care in the Community" which led to vulnerable and sometimes dangerous (to themselves and the general public) patients being placed into the community. One of the most famous incidents of this was a man called Christopher Clunis who murdered a complete stranger on the London underground in 1992.

Mental illness was hidden, people were ashamed if one of their relatives was in a mental health institute.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes, she was facing trial for it.
    The Police and CPS have a positive policy around domestic violence. DV is considered by police as an emergency response in all cases, and the CPS have a positive charge policy - in other words, even if the victim refuses to testify, they will charge. This is as a result of the number of DV cases where victims have withdrawn their willingness to assist, only to be seriously assaulted or murdered at a later date by the same perpetrator. DV is one of the biggest causes of murder in the UK.