Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
The ‘66 World Cup did grip the UK, not just England, well it did in my little world. I was rooting for them as were all my mates, 11 years old and football mad, games live on telly and played at ‘our’ grounds, what wasn’t to like. Saying that though about rooting for them, looking back I do remember having a vague memory of me wanting Portugal to beat them in the semi final and in the myriad of posters and wall charts that were about I’d filled in one in advance of the semis having Portugal to beat West Germany in the final. May have been a Eusebio thing, he’d had a great World Cup and certainly left an impression on the young me. I’ve spent the majority of the years since wishing my Portugal prediction had come true
I was 9 years old in 1966, and I have just one memory of that tournament: My dad, falling to his knees with his head in his hands when Germany equalized in the dying moments. I think I was more into Crackerjack at that stage of life, laughing at Peter Glaze's inability to get out of the way of a squirty flower.