+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If they say this it is almost certainly true. I never disputed it, I only said that the article you posted a link to didn't say it. I hadn't read anything else nor, until 20 minutes ago, had I accessed any news feeds.
    You seemed almost eager to put a different, more sympathetic to Cummings' iinterpretation on things to what was being widely accepted. I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Now we have had a briefing in which a Government Minister did nothing whatsoever to suggest that Cummings' wife and child had not travelled with him to Durham - you were wrong, how about admitting it?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You seemed almost eager to put a different, more sympathetic to Cummings' iinterpretation on things to what was being widely accepted. I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Now we have had a briefing in which a Government Minister did nothing whatsoever to suggest that Cummings' wife and child had not travelled with him to Durham - you were wrong, how about admitting it?
    In fairness to xsnaggle, it seems Cummings can't even manage to agree on a version of the events with his own wife, so how is anyone else supposed to know the real story?

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You seemed almost eager to put a different, more sympathetic, interpretation on things to what was being widely accepted. I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Now we have had a briefing in which a Government Minister did nothing whatsoever to suggest that Cummings' wife and child had not travelled with him to Durham - you were wrong, how about admitting it?
    I never said I was right, I only ever said in that article there was no mention of where she was or that they had both traveled.
    I also said that whatever the truth it was not the best thing he could have done. It wasn't.
    At no time have I said he didn't travel or that she didn't but people misread what I wrote and assumed that was what I was saying. Personally I don't give a toss one way or the other, the biggest problem was today that this completely dominated questions on the government briefing to the detrement of other things more relevant to you and I that may have been asked.
    As someone who likes to write for the public domain I would think that you could be able to read what is actually written without building in a meaning that isn't there. Perhaps it's you that is biased, in the reading, rather than me in writing?

I never said I was right, I only ever said in that article there was no mention of where she was or that they had both traveled.
    I also said that whatever the truth it was not the best thing he could have done. It wasn't.
    At no time have I said he didn't travel or that she didn't but people misread what I wrote and assumed that was what I was saying. Personally I don't give a toss one way or the other, the biggest problem was today that this completely dominated questions on the government briefing to the detrement of other things more relevant to you and I that may have been asked.
    As someone who likes to write for the public domain I would think that you could be able to read what is actually written without building in a meaning that isn't there. Perhaps it's you that is biased, in the reading, rather than me in writing?
    You wrote this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the article read to me as that Mrs Cummings and son were already in Durham and he drove there to be with them. She says, 'would have to come home' like my Mrs used to say 'when are you coming home' when I worked away.
    He drove to Durham to care for her I understood, which most men would tend to do for their wife. Whether that was right or wrong is another matter.

Who wouldn't drive 264 miles to Durham to be with his wife looks remarkably like a different, more sympathetic, interpretation on things to what was being widely accepted to me. Still we all live and learn.

I have to say though that your argument that this distracted from the core of today's government briefing did make me chuckle. Which bit of the Daily Coronavirus briefing that Grant Schapps took up prime time television by talking about the government's transport policy, a new station in Fleetwood or the widening of the A66 did you think got most overlooked?

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You wrote this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the article read to me as that Mrs Cummings and son were already in Durham and he drove there to be with them. She says, 'would have to come home' like my Mrs used to say 'when are you coming home' when I worked away.
    He drove to Durham to care for her I understood, which most men would tend to do for their wife. Whether that was right or wrong is another matter.

Who wouldn't drive 264 miles to Durham to be with his wife looks remarkably like a different, more sympathetic, interpretation on things to what was being widely accepted to me. Still we all live and learn.

I have to say though that your argument that this distracted from the core of today's government briefing did make me chuckle. Which bit of the Daily Coronavirus briefing that Grant Schapps took up prime time television by talking about the government's transport policy, a new station in Fleetwood or the widening of the A66 did you think got most overlooked?
    What I said may have been sympathetic, but again, I was only reacting to that article, without any knowledge of any other reports on the subject. Why does no one actually grasp that? Becuuas it doesn't suit their argument???

As for the briefing, each minister that gets stood up there talks about his own brief, and its often a deflection, but the information from the clinicians is normally insightful and the questions can probe the numbers and the information that drives decisions. From your comment I get the impression you are implying that it isn't relevant to Wales. In which case should we only listen to the Wales briefing If the people on here did do that we wouldn't be having this conversation because its not relevant to Wales. You can't have it both ways can you?

Banned

What I said may have been sympathetic, but again, I was only reacting to that article, without any knowledge of any other reports on the subject. Why does no one actually grasp that? Becuuas it doesn't suit their argument???

As for the briefing, each minister that gets stood up there talks about his own brief, and its often a deflection, but the information from the clinicians is normally insightful and the questions can probe the numbers and the information that drives decisions. From your comment I get the impression you are implying that it isn't relevant to Wales. In which case should we only listen to the Wales briefing If the people on here did do that we wouldn't be having this conversation because its not relevant to Wales. You can't have it both ways can you?
    I had sympathy with you, but others then pointed you in other directions and, rather than admitting you were wrong, you doubled down and insisted you were right based on the one, solitary, article you read.

You are now attempting to move the argument to a Wales v England thing. Again, your premise for this is a hatred of the Welsh assembly rather than stock proof that England's handling of the situation is significantly (if any) better.

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I had sympathy with you, but others then pointed you in other directions and, rather than admitting you were wrong, you doubled down and insisted you were right based on the one, solitary, article you read.
    I never insisted I was right about anything. I never made any statement of rightness in my original post. in fact I inferred the opposite. People who had read more on the subject just assumed I had and that I was deliberately ignoring it. But I hadn't.
    All my subsequent posts have not been about being right or wrong, they are about posters answering something they are assuming instead of actually reading what has been written. It happens all the time on here.

No my point has nothing to do with Wales. You bemoaned that the Cummings issue deflected from the purpose of the Coronavirus daily briefing though obviously the actions of one individual were pertinent to how others managed and are managing social mobility restrictions.

My point was that the Transport Secretary racked up to give some spiel from the Conservative Manifesto that had very little to do with people managing their lives around the virus. It seemed targeted towards the North of England where obviously there was a surge of new Tory seats. If you have prime time tv then get your message out about protecting the public not your wider political agenda!

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    No my point has nothing to do with Wales. You bemoaned that the Cummings issue deflected from the purpose of the Coronavirus daily briefing though obviously the actions of one individual were pertinent to how others managed and are managing social mobility restrictions.

My point was that the Transport Secretary racked up to give some spiel from the Conservative Manifesto that had very little to do with people managing their lives around the virus. It seemed targeted towards the North of England where obviously there was a surge of new Tory seats. If you have prime time tv then get your message out about protecting the public not your wider political agenda!
    Fair comment lol

Maybe his journey was simply to help honour the Govts post election commitment to levelling up. Compared to London the virus had had relatively little impact in the North East until his trip north. He was no doubt instrumental in this key post-election policy commitment and just look at what's happened with the virus in the North East since!