+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The triple lock.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The triple lock.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My question for those over 66 like myself is do you think there should be a scheme whereby you can voluntarily forego the pension rises, or a proportion of them, announced in yesterday's pre election "giveaway" if you are so minded? For myself, I'm hardly wealthy, so need some sort of annual rise, but, if I could, I would reduce it to something like four or five per cent - although every penny of the eight per cent plus will be needed in many cases I'm sure, it seems excessive in mine.
    The UK state pension is a 3rd of Spain, Belgium, France, and smaller than most western countries. I'll gladly take the 8%.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The UK state pension is a 3rd of Spain, Belgium, France, and smaller than most western countries. I'll gladly take the 8%.
    Yes, me too. I do think some of the benefits around heating allowances etc should be means tested though.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    They either contribute far more (Spain) or things are way more nuanced than that (Belgium). These headline stats around the state pension annoy me, how do people actually think these countries are affording to pay 3x more in pension without bigger contributions?!?

Our system is designed to be a pretty shit flat rate for everyone, that is why NI drops off a cliff for high earners and you barely have to contribute to earn your stamp. Comparing it to systems where higher earners are paying in thousands per month is just bad analysis.