+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main positive from today

Main positive from today

Whatever our front three ends up being, it has enough pace that can worry teams. That will be our asset for the season. We might not have the ball for long periods in games, but when we have it, we can be as destructive as many teams outside the top 6. Murphy is a definite improvement on Mendez-Laing. We have definite options up top. As long as we can get enough results against the other strugglers we'll be more than fine. I think our pace will win us points, when I look at other sides around there that play tidy football but have no pace.

We'll scare a few teams.

Re: Main positive from today

Manga had a decent game. WARNOCK was banging on last season about him being better in the Prem.
    Wonder where this leaves Bamba who had a good second half in midfield. Can't really see him there for more than the odd game though.

As much as I love Sol, I really think his mediocrity on the ball will cost him a starting position this season, or cost us a serious amount of points. Too often he gets the ball and tries to do something, only to panic and give it away, it's all well and good doing that in the championship, but counter attacks are going to be a premium this season, he's going to cost us a lot of chances going forward, and most likely goals against better teams. I cringe at the thought of Sol in midfield this season. I personally see Bruno having a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    As much as I love Sol, I really think his mediocrity on the ball will cost him a starting position this season, or cost us a serious amount of points. Too often he gets the ball and tries to do something, only to panic and give it away, it's all well and good doing that in the championship, but counter attacks are going to be a premium this season, he's going to cost us a lot of chances going forward, and most likely goals against better teams. I cringe at the thought of Sol in midfield this season. I personally see Bruno having a great season.
    Wouldn’t Bruno be a better option than Bamba if we’re forced to play either of them in midfield. He’s better on the ball and quicker on the turn than Sol.

Rather play neither of them there having said that!

I agree about the movement of the front 3 being very good. Murphy had a very good game and I thought Joe Bennett played well too - I've no doubt Cunningham is also a very good player ( based on Preston fans opinions) but seems strange we now have 2 very good left backs ( and Jazz Richards who can play there) and still concerns over right back.

We really lacked someone alongside Ralls and Gunnarsson now seems to be a regular injury concern

The Main positive from yesterday is we weren't playing Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City for 270+ consecutive minutes without any midfielders.

I agree, our centre two yesterday were Bamba and Paterson, neither of who can pass. They constantly give the ball away. There should be two 'proper' midfield players in there. I hope Warnock finds them, otherwise we have Gunarrsson and possibly Tomlin as the only other two who can play there. I don't think Damour will be much good either.,

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We'll scare a few teams.
    Do you seriously believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    We'll be the envy of the Premier League when they see our boys up front ripping opposition teams to shreds

We'll seriously trouble some defences, at least in periods - that's all you need to win a game, but I doubt many will come into game with us thinking that they'll lose.

That's probably what the vast majority of promoted teams have faced though. They'll be some like Wolves and Fulham who have set up to challenge for top ten places immediately but there will be many like Bournemouth, Burnley and Swansea who are basically still championship (or league one) squads who need to work out how to play at a higher level.

Yes. I have no doubts that much of our gameplan depends on drawing the opposition out and hitting them on the break, but teams will have to take notice of the pace we have up front. Murphy and Hoilett have an eye for the spectacular. Zohore will be a handful.

I'm not suggesting that all the top flight will be fearing us, far from it. Teams thinking they can have it easy against us are likely to get a ride awakening. I reckon we'll score 10 or more goals than Swansea and West Brom managed last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I agree about the movement of the front 3 being very good. Murphy had a very good game and I thought Joe Bennett played well too - I've no doubt Cunningham is also a very good player ( based on Preston fans opinions) but seems strange we now have 2 very good left backs ( and Jazz Richards who can play there) and still concerns over right back.

We really lacked someone alongside Ralls and Gunnarsson now seems to be a regular injury concern
    Jazz is far better on the right than on the left. He can't use his left foot at all and I'd be far more comfortable seeing him play right back.

Its the pre-season optimism of a supporter - what else are we supposed to do

I remember thinking that we'll stay up in days gone by because we've got Gordon Owen or Cohen Griffith whilst ignoring the fact that the likes of Karl Elsey or Mark Kelly alongside them. Now we're hoping Ralls and Murphy fall into the miracle role

No doubt there's going to be a few dickings this season - I hope that you can rise above the click bait nonsense that no doubt will be plastered all over here by the attention seekers.

I'm going to enjoy the season sitting with my mates having a beer (same as every season) and looking forward to watching Peltier trying to catch Hazard et al just like you used to enjoy.

For me Warnock deserves a hell of a lot of respect from all of us supporters for his achievements at the club. I think most of us appreciate that we are well short in quite a few areas but we still have our optimism - after all thats what we as supporters will always have

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Its the pre-season optimism of a supporter - what else are we supposed to do

I remember thinking that we'll stay up in days gone by because we've got Gordon Owen or Cohen Griffith whilst ignoring the fact that the likes of Karl Elsey or Mark Kelly alongside them. Now we're hoping Ralls and Murphy fall into the miracle role

No doubt there's going to be a few dickings this season - I hope that you can rise above the click bait nonsense that no doubt will be plastered all over here by the attention seekers.

I'm going to enjoy the season sitting with my mates having a beer (same as every season) and looking forward to watching Peltier trying to catch Hazard et al just like you used to enjoy.

For me Warnock deserves a hell of a lot of respect from all of us supporters for his achievements at the club. I think most of us appreciate that we are well short in quite a few areas but we still have our optimism - after all thats what we as supporters will always have
    Warnock is above criticism, which is why he is getting away with a shambolic recruitment plan this summer. He has time to put it right, I suppose, but the window closes in less than 100 hours and he was proclaiming that he would get his business done early.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Warnock is above criticism, which is why he is getting away with a shambolic recruitment plan this summer. He has time to put it right, I suppose, but the window closes in less than 100 hours and he was proclaiming that he would get his business done early.
    If you were going to grade the first half of the window we could be looking at a B or B+ grade but second half would be a D or D minus on evidence so far. Shambolic is a strong word.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If you were going to grade the first half of the window we could be looking at a B or B+ grade but second half would be a D or D minus on evidence so far. Shambolic is a strong word.
    I think it's an apt word because for all the "decent" work done in the first half of the window, it's all been undone as they've waited for the world-beater Grujic.

To be fair to Neil, he has eclipsed the Wolves front three with his very own Cardiff front three. They are going to be fuming on the Molineux message board forums.

Tan, Choo and Warnock had agreed a budget pretty early on and with the ridiculously over-inflated prices of mediocre players, e.g. Richarlison , it's no wonder the transfer activity has faltered.

Hopefully, there will be a contingency plan to bring in the 1 or 2 needed to bolster the squad at the 11th hour, however, it is 11 v 11 at the end of the day and even with our obvious gaps on the park, I still think we can be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    Wouldn’t Bruno be a better option than Bamba if we’re forced to play either of them in midfield. He’s better on the ball and quicker on the turn than Sol.

Rather play neither of them there having said that!

Agree about Manga and said the same to my son at the game yesterday.
    I love Bamba a a central defender but don't want to see him in midfield where he is a disaster waiting to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Tan, Choo and Warnock had agreed a budget pretty early on and with the ridiculously over-inflated prices of mediocre players, e.g. Richarlison , it's no wonder the transfer activity has faltered.

Hopefully, there will be a contingency plan to bring in the 1 or 2 needed to bolster the squad at the 11th hour, however, it is 11 v 11 at the end of the day and even with our obvious gaps on the park, I still think we can be competitive.
    Yes. The most important thing is being competitive against the other sides in the bottom half. We showed last season that we were a match for anything in the Championship. There's no reason why we can't pinch a few wins against the likes of Southampton, Huddersfield, Watford, West Ham, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Brighton and Palace

We'll seriously trouble some defences, at least in periods - that's all you need to win a game, but I doubt many will come into game with us thinking that they'll lose.

That's probably what the vast majority of promoted teams have faced though. They'll be some like Wolves and Fulham who have set up to challenge for top ten places immediately but there will be many like Bournemouth, Burnley and Swansea who are basically still championship (or league one) squads who need to work out how to play at a higher level.
    Swansea?

The Betis friendly and system makes you think we might go 5-2-3 vs Bournemouth, another team who will attack and keep the ball. Thats a dangerous way to play but you'd think it might work against lower quality opposition - we cant afford to play it vs lfc, man city tho imo.

I really think we can beat Bournemouth, but defensively obviously we must improve. In the first half it seems Sol was playing a role similar to Dier for Spurs and Medel for Chile, moving into midfield on the ball, but we really struggled to play that way as he was being pushed deeper due to our man marking. In the second half he seemed to stay deep.

We should start with a back five of peltier(not really fussed who starts there, expect him to trust Pelts though) Moz, Sol, Bruno, Bennett. Really excited to see Manga step up, looked brilliant yesterday, hasn't had the easiest of times in the Champ really.

Even if we do sign a midfielder, it seems that Pato n Ralls will start. Pato will do what he does, and he'll beef up the midfield. Desperate for a proper midfielder to play alongside Ralls, as Pato isn't as effective in a deeper role.

Will be interesting to see who starts up top. I'd really like to see Zohore start but if we play 5 at the back its quite difficult to see how he starts really. Think Ken could really bully Ake, but one things for sure, our front three looked brilliant yesterday, we'll hurt teams with that much pace up top.

Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes. I have no doubts that much of our gameplan depends on drawing the opposition out and hitting them on the break, but teams will have to take notice of the pace we have up front. Murphy and Hoilett have an eye for the spectacular. Zohore will be a handful.
    I have no doubt that most teams will be wary of City's attacking pace and will plan to contain it, but will any actually be scared of the likes of Murphy, Hoilett, Reid and Zohore? Can't see it myself.

Personally, I'll be surprised if Zohore proves to be a handful at this level. I reckon he'll need to improve significantly for that to happen and I don't think the systems Warnock generally employs will suit him either. You never know, but I don't believe Zohore has enough genuine quality to trouble most Premier League defences.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Fear not. That's not my style. Besides which, I'll be keeping a low profile anyway.

I have no doubt that most teams will be wary of City's attacking pace and will plan to contain it, but will any actually be scared of the likes of Murphy, Hoilett, Reid and Zohore? Can't see it myself.

Personally, I'll be surprised if Zohore proves to be a handful at this level. I reckon he'll need to improve significantly for that to happen and I don't think the systems Warnock generally employs will suit him either. You never know, but I don't believe Zohore has enough genuine quality to trouble most Premier League defences.
    The same was for Josh King. It I think he made his point. Don’t think he will be consistent, but Zahore is our wild card imo.