+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Arm our officers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Arm our officers

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I fully understand that training them all to carry arms would take time, but lets start, lets get more trained, the armed officers will be wearing body cams, so they will know they are being filmed and will not have free reign to " pop a cap "
    Out of interest, if every police officer carried a gun, do you think that would make criminals more or less likely to carry them too? If you think it's more likely, how do you suppose that improves public safety?

Originally Posted by blue matt
    "I fully understand that training them all to carry arms would take time, but lets start, lets get more trained, the armed officers will be wearing body cams, so they will know they are being filmed and will not have free reign to " pop a cap ""

What you mean like American law enforcement officers who have been regularly filmed shooting people even they though know they are being filmed ?
    Doesn"t seem to have stopped them now does it ?

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Originally Posted by blue matt
    "I fully understand that training them all to carry arms would take time, but lets start, lets get more trained, the armed officers will be wearing body cams, so they will know they are being filmed and will not have free reign to " pop a cap ""

What you mean like American law enforcement officers who have been regularly filmed shooting people even they though know they are being filmed ?
    Doesn"t seem to have stopped them now does it ?
    so we are bringing the US into the argument, i guess it was expected

so we are bringing the US into the argument, i guess it was expected
    The US will always be in the argument when it comes to arming the police as the rise of social media and camera phones have shown that a large number of US officers overstep the mark when using their weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The US will always be in the argument when it comes to arming the police as the rise of social media and camera phones have shown that a large number of US officers overstep the mark when using their weapons.
    of course, but maybe, just maybe, our police officers wouldnt ? ? ? ?

It must be a wonderful way to view life.

Bliss in fact

Certainly not to the same extent, but I'd really prefer not to be in the position to find out. Its a chance that doesn't need to be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Certainly not to the same extent, but I'd really prefer not to be in the position to find out. Its a chance that doesn't need to be taken.
    fair enough

we have a top notch police force, yes they make mistakes, but in general, they do a good job

maybe we will never know what would happen if we armed them, the thing we do need to look at it offering them more protection and the tools to go about the job they bravely do, if that it more tazers or guns ? ? ? then so be it

Almost impossibly naive of you. For a guy who has a buddy for every occasion I'd have thought you'd be a bit more worldly.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    There's so much wrong with that and you appear to me to be so clouded that I'm not going to respond to it except to say that I think you're being naive about the realities of giving guns to the police force and I think it's a terrible idea for so many reasons.
    oh and just as the discussion comes around to the US and more are joining in, you come back

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Almost impossibly naive of you. For a guy who has a buddy for every occasion I'd have thought you'd be a bit more worldly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Out of interest, if every police officer carried a gun, do you think that would make criminals more or less likely to carry them too? If you think it's more likely, how do you suppose that improves public safety?
    I couldnt answer that, as I am not a criminal

though having worked the doors in cardiff a little many years ago, i know ( at that time ) it was easy enough to get a gun, so i guess if a criminal really wanted a gun, they would be able to get one

I couldnt answer that, as I am not a criminal

though having worked the doors in cardiff a little many years ago, i know ( at that time ) it was easy enough to get a gun, so i guess if a criminal really wanted a gun, they would be able to get one
    That doesn't answer my question at all. Getting a gun wasn't my question, you admit that getting one is easy. My question is would criminals etc be more likely to carry them if they knew the police would be.

My feeling is that they would be more likely to carry guns. The possibility of being shot is not so much of a deterrent, more of a problem that needs to be overcome. More guns = less safety. America is proof of that.