+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are fans losing faith in Neil Warnock?

Are fans losing faith in Neil Warnock?

Stole this from the other board but couldn't agree more with every word said.....

Long time poster, who views rather than posts these days. But this topic is something I had to contribute to.

I like Neil, he's not everyones cup of tea, he is clearly a very good motivator, a good manager in a scrappy game, fantastic with the press and the fans, geeing us up with his fist pumps etc. But it ends there for me.

Theres much more qualities than that needed in the modern game to be a success on the pitch and off it. Promotion came in a strange year for the championship, a lot of the fancied sides struggled and were clearly embarking on new projects and were in transition. It was a scrappy league hence why Neil did so well. However the entertainment value and quality of football was not great and never has been for me. Slow defence, long balls going over the top of the midfield, who regularly get out bossed in the stats. Never got in a regularly consistent striker. You fly or fall based on your signings. I could go on, weird substitutions, negative team selection and tactics.

I shout to the rooftops for my team no matter whose in charge, but I haven't lost faith in Neil, I never had it to begin with.

Keeping us up until the end of his first season should have been the agreement and thats it. Then a change, I have not enjoyed or been excited by my football down the City since Dave Jones worked with Bellamy, Ramsey, Koumas, Bothroyd, Chopra, Burke, McCormack etc etc. Neil wouldn't have signed those players.

I hoped last season would have been his last, and a fresh start was upon us, with a set philosophy for fluid attacking football, with good passing and pace. Easier said than done maybe, but Thats what makes modern football so great and addictive.

Neils footballing philosophy is a million miles away from that, and I believe a change last Christmas could well have seen a new man take us in a new direction tactically and have kept us up.

I like Neil, I cheer him and the boys on every week. But his football has never been for me. I see nothing different this season unless we get an amazing last two days of the window which is unlikely, as the window to date has been uninspiring filler signings. I fear for the season ahead, but always hope, always keep the faith :bluebird

Re: Are fans losing faith in Neil Warnock?

I disagree that changing last Christmas could well have kept us up. Anyone coming in would have to work with the type of player we had and they were Warnock type players. If we were going to change the time to do it was as soon as the season was over.

We did really well, kicked on in our second year and got promoted. Everyone is now saying the year we got promoted wasn't good but at the time, everyone was saying how good Wolves and Fulham were.

I'll have lost a lot of faith if we continue with the numbers we have in centre mid (3), and sell Cunningham without a replacement whilst having enough strikers to sink a ship. It's a very strange situation and I'm trying not to judge until Thursday but it seems the club doesn't really know what it's doing, which has been a bit of a theme. Our first summer window under Warnock has to be a massive success and that was the platform to promotion. Since then, I don't think we've really improved the side!

I also agree with rs3100, nobody would have kept us up last Christmas. Our players are his players, and by definition too many of them can only play his way. We'd have also stayed up if we had a better striker than Niasse. He was our best and only hope. Can you imagine a "footballing" manager coming in and seeing our players, he'd have a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Stole this from the other board but couldn't agree more with every word said.....

Long time poster, who views rather than posts these days. But this topic is something I had to contribute to.

I like Neil, he's not everyones cup of tea, he is clearly a very good motivator, a good manager in a scrappy game, fantastic with the press and the fans, geeing us up with his fist pumps etc. But it ends there for me.

Theres much more qualities than that needed in the modern game to be a success on the pitch and off it. Promotion came in a strange year for the championship, a lot of the fancied sides struggled and were clearly embarking on new projects and were in transition. It was a scrappy league hence why Neil did so well. However the entertainment value and quality of football was not great and never has been for me. Slow defence, long balls going over the top of the midfield, who regularly get out bossed in the stats. Never got in a regularly consistent striker. You fly or fall based on your signings. I could go on, weird substitutions, negative team selection and tactics.

I shout to the rooftops for my team no matter whose in charge, but I haven't lost faith in Neil, I never had it to begin with.

Keeping us up until the end of his first season should have been the agreement and thats it. Then a change, I have not enjoyed or been excited by my football down the City since Dave Jones worked with Bellamy, Ramsey, Koumas, Bothroyd, Chopra, Burke, McCormack etc etc. Neil wouldn't have signed those players.

I hoped last season would have been his last, and a fresh start was upon us, with a set philosophy for fluid attacking football, with good passing and pace. Easier said than done maybe, but Thats what makes modern football so great and addictive.

Neils footballing philosophy is a million miles away from that, and I believe a change last Christmas could well have seen a new man take us in a new direction tactically and have kept us up.

I like Neil, I cheer him and the boys on every week. But his football has never been for me. I see nothing different this season unless we get an amazing last two days of the window which is unlikely, as the window to date has been uninspiring filler signings. I fear for the season ahead, but always hope, always keep the faith :bluebird
    Reads like it’s written by someone “blown out” by the club and not getting any “ice cream” any more

Warnock's time was up before last season had even finished.

I think Warnock did a marvellous job in many ways and was the perfect antidote to the rebrand toxicity. However, I do think we need to kick on with a more modern manager who plays a type of football that could survive longer term than one season in the top flight should we reach those heights again.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Reads like it’s written by someone “blown out” by the club and not getting any “ice cream” any more
    It reads too well for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We did really well, kicked on in our second year and got promoted. Everyone is now saying the year we got promoted wasn't good but at the time, everyone was saying how good Wolves and Fulham were.

I'll have lost a lot of faith if we continue with the numbers we have in centre mid (3), and sell Cunningham without a replacement whilst having enough strikers to sink a ship. It's a very strange situation and I'm trying not to judge until Thursday but it seems the club doesn't really know what it's doing, which has been a bit of a theme. Our first summer window under Warnock has to be a massive success and that was the platform to promotion. Since then, I don't think we've really improved the side!

I also agree with rs3100, nobody would have kept us up last Christmas. Our players are his players, and by definition too many of them can only play his way. We'd have also stayed up if we had a better striker than Niasse. He was our best and only hope. Can you imagine a "footballing" manager coming in and seeing our players, he'd have a heart attack.
    I remember the days when City strikers scored goals frequently. Showing my age, I know............

We are equally cursed and blessed with NW.

If you were to make a hybrid franken-manager of all the managers in the division, then there would be a lot that you would take from NW, he's one of the best around at motivating, organising and man management, and everyone on his team's knows exactly what they are there to do.

The style of football we play though is becoming less and less successful in this division. Look at the teams who go up or make the playoffs year on year, this style is becoming increasingly rare at the top end of the table, and still fairly common at the bottom.

NW due to his strengths, has a huge impact on a club when he first takes over. He rescued Rotherham from almost certain relegation, and turned us around hugely.
    However given a longer period it doesn't seem to have a generally positive trend. The style, player recruitment etc areas he might not be as strong have more of an influence over the longer term.

I think we will be ok this time round, and I'm happy to cheer NW on and back his methods to have another crack at it. But I also think we should be seriously planning for life after NW. He's a one off, and without the guy I think we need a serious change of direction or we will really struggle.
    All the most successful teams are now using a director of football and we should be looking to bring someone in asap to start to plan on the direction we take the club at the end of NWs contract.

This is so unfair too the man :

beyond everyone's wildest dream he got us up
    he then defied all the experts up to the last few games and had us in contention.
    back end of the season we bloody injury ravaged with Bamba. Patterson, limping Cammasara ,Gunner and so many others crocked or limping on .
    buy a striker and we know what happened then.
    robbed against Chelsea.
    bloody Leicester home game , could have been a better environment for us ( that was 6 points gone )
    he got us up last with a nuts and bolts side
    he's got no real financial backing once there
    poor scouting team for years ,still the case ( club issue for me not him )
    if we change now, its a brand new man , new squad ,bags of money needed FFS then hits us
    transfers are always in the pools below a lot of other big midland /London established type clubs ( always has been )
    were in Wales ( not every footballers dream destination especially those with roots and family in England )
    needs a better development squad and investment ( club issue ).
    no rich via of talent to tap into , as the bigger clubs are attracting those welsh youngsters .

Who would you have in , how much would he need , how much compensation do we pay out , how many players contact would we run down or cancel and at what cost.

We have played one ducking game FFS

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    I disagree that changing last Christmas could well have kept us up. Anyone coming in would have to work with the type of player we had and they were Warnock type players. If we were going to change the time to do it was as soon as the season was over.
    Exactly. A new manager couldn't have significantly changed the way the team was playing without signing several new players and that was never going to happen in January.

Who would have come here anyway? I didn't want Fat Sam or one of the other charlatans.

In a word: "No".

He's not the Messiah.....etc etc

I'm not - I've really enjoyed it since he's been here and I'm sure everyone will look back on his time here as outstanding in the future.

One ruddy loss to away to Wigan and everyone is sh1tting their pants FFS

Lets give it a chance this season - Norwich were going to sack their manager after 5 games last season after fan protests - Neil deserves far far better than that - though please sign a decent midfielder

No, I doubt we would see such a mail if we’d beaten Wigan on Saturday. Yes, some of the transfers and players linked are baffling but we should be backing him this season. He’s already said he’ll walk if it isn’t going well

He did a fantastic job to get us promoted and almost kept us up ( the Fulham away game was terrible mind!). He deserves some patience from us. If Glatzel gets a winning goal on Saturday there will be a different outlook then

I can't see why so many people are losing their shit over a loss. I agree that it's not a great way to start a season but it was just one game.

Wigan are no pushovers and I fancy them to be in or around the play-offs this season.

I've really enjoyed being a Cardiff fan since 'our Neil took over and I'm sure that come Christmas time, we'll be in the top five and everyone will be tossing off at the thought of him bollock-naked on a John Deere tractor (with a Santa hat on).

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    I just don’t get this “Warnock player” line that gets thrown out there.

I don’t think Reid, Murphy, Camarasa to name 3 off the top of my head, are typical “Warnock players”

It’s just lazy to keep saying it.

Do people really think that if they weren’t TOLD to work play a certain way and do certain things that a few of our lot couldn’t play?

We don’t have a team full of Peltiers ffs

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What ever happened to gwyn?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I don’t think Reid, Murphy, Camarasa to name 3 off the top of my head, are typical “Warnock players”

Do people really think that if they weren’t TOLD to work play a certain way and do certain things that a few of our lot couldn’t play?

He has barely played Reid, Murphy it’s clear to see frustrates Warnock, in and out of the team and not shy in having a go at him in the press, and Camarasa fell into his lap because of the Betis friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I know, people make out that none of them can actually play football, they just hoof it...lol....strange that we are not all footballers as they is no skill involved? I can hoof it?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I know, people make out that none of them can actually play football, they just hoof it...lol....strange that we are not all footballers as they is no skill involved? I can hoof it?
    Hey do as they’re told, would have to be a real idiot to think we don’t have players that can play.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He has barely played Reid, Murphy it’s clear to see frustrates Warnock, in and out of the team and not shy in having a go at him in the press, and Camarasa fell into his lap because of the Betis friendly.
    But he signed them, that’s all I was really getting at.

This “neil Warnock player” line gets thrown around and it’s just lazy.

I've got every faith in Sir Neil. He's been our most successful manager and he knows what he's doing I expect.
    I must admit that I'm completely mystified by his incoming players this year because we seem to be trawling the lower leagues and ignoring the very obvious fact that they might not be able to make a step up.
    I don't know why we haven't attempted to get any proven higher quality players to match those we've already got.

He seems to be building a completely new team, and the question is whether he can do that in time to mount a challenge this year.
    Perhaps we'll see a couple of quality loans during the next 36 hours because we need them based on the cluster**** at Wigan.

Seems you can't say clusterfu.ck

Probably one of the worst things I've read on here. Disagree with most of it. All opinions though.

Dickle nature of football at its finest.