+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Colwyn bay meet FAW in bid to join welsh pyramid system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Colwyn bay meet FAW in bid to join welsh pyramid system

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I hope they do too (in part) . But realistically speaking, is a town the size of Merthyr ever going to reach any higher than the Conference......League Two tops ? Probably not. At least they haven't at any point in their history. I don't even know if it'd be good for a club like Merthyr to overextend themselves in an attempt to reach any higher.

If that is the case, then maybe winning the Welsh Prem and getting games in Europe every other season, getting a regular income etc, would be the perfect outcome for that club at the present time. If there is a glass ceiling in the English pyramid, why not play at a similar standard, but actually have the chance of aspiring to some sort of glory/trophies.
    ..a bit of research before posting would help !!

A big step for them but hopefully a happy one; I've also read the stat about TNS making more from their Champions League run than County did this year in the FA Cup, and the local derbies on offer must be more appealing than trips to otherwise unheard of towns and villages in England.

The standards of the league is improving year on year and demands for improved facilities (and grants to help achieve that) means its become more appealing to visit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..a bit of research before posting would help !!
    When have they been above the Fourth Division ?

“Highest league position: 4th in Football Conference, 1991–92”

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    When have they been above the Fourth Division ?

“Highest league position: 4th in Football Conference, 1991–92”
    1920's 3rd South for about 7/8 seasons. Also Aberdare Athletic for about 5 seasons.. [though arguably I suppose the bottom half of 3rd south could be compared with the 4th division.] Both Merthyr and Aberdare achieved final league placings above half way..