+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 99%of Man City play is totally pointless.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 99%of Man City play is totally pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    In this instance money has definitely helped. It's allowed Pep to cherry pick a squad by is pretty clearly far and above the rest of the Prem league. Of course Pep is having a hand; if you gave Trollope the same money Man City wuld probably be relegated.

For me, it's the case that Pep needed to spend big to get the squad to play the way he wanted to. It's not money or Pep, it's the fact both were needed.

You put Pep as manager of say Crystal Palace and tried to play the same way without spending big,it would be pear shaped fairly quicky.

Pep clearly has a particular style of play he wants to use, it's not changed much in any of his management roles. To be effective as it has been, it needs the best players they can get in and that means a large amount of money has been spent.
    Not so sure they would be.

He would need "budget" players but I honestly believe if he got players in to match the work rates and style of play the balance of the team could be the same, minus the ridiculous talent. You don't find a budget KDB for example.. but you can replicate the style. They probably wouldn't be knocking on Europe's door but I don't think they would go down.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

He would need "budget" players but I honestly believe if he got players in to match the work rates and style of play the balance of the team could be the same, minus the ridiculous talent. You don't find a budget KDB for example.. but you can replicate the style. They probably wouldn't be knocking on Europe's door but I don't think they would go down.
    The point being where do you find players close to the work rate or style of play on the cheap? That would rely upon pure man management skills. If you can save anyone £50m on a Kyle Walker when you can raise up existing squad players, any chairman regardless of wealth would love you.

I don't see any Man City youth academy players making the grade there for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

The point being where do you find players close to the work rate or style of play on the cheap? That would rely upon pure man management skills. If you can save anyone £50m on a Kyle Walker when you can raise up existing squad players, any chairman regardless of wealth would love you.

I don't see any Man City youth academy players making the grade there for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

I see the same seventeen year old Pep gives some game time to most weeks played for another five minutes or so today - I'm sure he'll start a few games for them once the title is won.