Re: What was your first live game

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The Real Madrid game.
    What a boring start for you ,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Peaked a bit early...

To be fair, we’ve been really entertaining since the turn of the Century, but it’s a bit difficult to compete with the raw visceral power of being physically part of a crowded sea humanity winning one of the most important games the team had ever played.

As a first ‘high’ I struggle to see how it could be equalled today as the physical aspect will never be repeated.

31 October 1953 at Fratton Park - Pompey vs Middlesborough.

I was passed down over the heads of the crowd to the front from where I could just see over the concrete wall.

Used to be fascinated by the letters after players names in the programmes that showed they were internationals. My main memory is how old the players looked.

(PS Isn't it time to let bygones be bygones and let us have our clock back?)

Do people actually recall their first game and the opposition? I remember being taken down to Ninian Park in the late 60's by my Uncle but don't recall the opposition or the results, only the massive crowds and the atmosphere. I do recall there was a separate turnstile for youngsters so my Uncle gave me a coin to get in and I dropped it and couldn't find it and started crying as I thought I would be stuck outside and a policeman lifted me up over the turnstile to get me in. The first games I recall the actual football were in the early 70's

As youngsters being taken to a first game I think the football is incidental to the excitement of the crowd and the chanting etc. The first game I took my oldest son to was the away game at Oxford which we won 3-2 and Winston Faerber scored a screamer. I recall it was a very exciting game of football but when we got home all my son wanted to tell my wife about was the number of policemen there, police horses, police dogs and swear words he heard!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Swansea v Liverpool, 1983

First City game , Cardiff v Brighton 1984