+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were allowed to bring in only one player in January

If you were allowed to bring in only one player in January

which position would it be for?

For me we've been crying out for a creative midfielder for years.

Pack, Ralls, Vaukes, Lacuna we're bereft Of any creativeness

Re: If you were allowed to bring in only one player in January

A centre forward that can score goals a little more regularly than our present crop

I don’t understand why if we’re changing the way we are to play why we’re looking for new strikers.

Why look if we haven’t sorted out the team behind it?

Ward, Madine, Glatzel, Bogle, Reid all failed.

Niasse showed us what was wrong, the only joy was getting the ball to him and him alone running into the channels and hope the midfield came up and supported him.

If we are to stick with Warnockball I think the issue is out on the flanks. There’s not enough crosses coming in. Or we stick with a Kieffer Moore style striker and ditch the runners.

A striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    which position would it be for?

For me we've been crying out for a creative midfielder for years.

Pack, Ralls, Vaukes, Lacuna we're bereft Of any creativeness
    A midfield player with some intelligence would be good, Tomlin has intelligence but it's more about the moment with him, he probably doesn't know what he's going to do until the ball is coming towards him and he's not the best without the ball. The others lack quality. We really need a player with the ability to control the midfield. We don't have a player with that ability to be assertive enough to grab a game by the bollocks, the current crop seem to wait for things to happen before reacting.

A creative box to box midfielder who can score goals.
    Simples

a manager

Jed Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    a manager
    I'm having reservations. I haven't seen any real progress or improvement. We don't have the most creative of players, but they're not appalling. I'm sure that with some coaching on structure and individual responsibilities this squad of players could look better and become more productive. This notion that Harris is treading water due to Warnocks transfer dealings and tactics is a bit lazy in my opinion. We don't have to have a complete change, no revolution is being asked for, just some baby steps in the right direction, I've not seen that. He's been brought in to improve our play and improve some of the players he's inherited. If he doesn't have a chance to do that because of other factors then why is he here-what is his job?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm having reservations. I haven't seen any real progress or improvement. We don't have the most creative of players, but they're not appalling. I'm sure that with some coaching on structure and individual responsibilities this squad of players could look better and become more productive. This notion that Harris is treading water due to Warnocks transfer dealings and tactics is a bit lazy in my opinion. We don't have to have a complete change, no revolution is being asked for, just some baby steps in the right direction, I've not seen that. He's been brought in to improve our play and improve some of the players he's inherited. If he doesn't have a chance to do that because of other factors then why is he here-what is his job?
    Yes! i kind of agree but when you see players having difficulty trapping, passing and shooting then you have to wonder.
    And why do they always have to start a game in such a shambles? is it that the Harris plan isn't working so he reverts back to just go out there and do your best .

Josh Brownhill, think he’s going/gone to Burnley though.
    Would love him for us

A Barry Bannan type player to pick the ball up off our centre half’s and control the tempo of the game

He’s got the passing range to find Tomlin, to find our wingers. With Joe Ralls energy alongside that type of player and Tomlin in front that’s a massive improvement on Bacuna and Pack!!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    A Barry Bannan type player to pick the ball up off our centre half’s and control the tempo of the game

He’s got the passing range to find Tomlin, to find our wingers. With Joe Ralls energy alongside that type of player and Tomlin in front that’s a massive improvement on Bacuna and Pack!!
    Bacuna is poor, isn't he? I know that we've done it to death, but 4.5 year contract! That needs investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Agreed. CM, wide and up front are the most pressing concerns. It’s a shame we couldn’t move Etheridge on to fund a bit of a push.

Personally I quite like Moore but you need to surround him. If we play him like we do with Glatzel and Ward there’s no point. Although if you do play it up to Moore, he will come down with it or flick it on, so your runners will feel their runs will be worthwhile

A midfield player with some intelligence would be good, Tomlin has intelligence but it's more about the moment with him, he probably doesn't know what he's going to do until the ball is coming towards him and he's not the best without the ball. The others lack quality. We really need a player with the ability to control the midfield. We don't have a player with that ability to be assertive enough to grab a game by the bollocks, the current crop seem to wait for things to happen before reacting.
    Agreed.
    Then we can give 2-3 of our strikers a final opportunity to see if they can adapt to the style.
    I still think Glatzel is the pick of the bunch

Bacuna is poor, isn't he? I know that we've done it to death, but 4.5 year contract! That needs investigating.
    Who was his agent?

I think the first step in changing how we play is to have a fast centre half who can pick a pass

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I think the first step in changing how we play is to have a fast centre half who can pick a pass
    Would be nice, I agree but none of our midfielders can pass, so it seems like a bit of a waste at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Yes! i kind of agree but when you see players having difficulty trapping, passing and shooting then you have to wonder.
    And why do they always have to start a game in such a shambles? is it that the Harris plan isn't working so he reverts back to just go out there and do your best .

I cannot believe how technically inept our players are and for that Warnock must take most of the blame for signing them.

Very few players in the Championship have got all the attributes needed to be a high quality performer, else they would be plying their trade in the PL. However, providing they are technically proficient in the basics, good coaching can take them up to the next level.

Unfortunately, I don't think Harris has the raw material to work with, so in my opinion he needs to start from scratch. That being the case, to what degree will the board support him in the transfer market and is Harris the man to put your trust in ? I don't think the answer to either question is a positive one.

A Gunnar type player who can also pass the ball and has a bit of composure.

With that I think Tomlin and Glatzel will come on a bit..

The contract length is a but fishy but I actually think Bacuna's done alright for us. To answer the OP's original question, a CM that can create. If Tomlin doesn't play it's hard to see where our goals come from

One new player is only going to show the deficiencies elsewhere in the team.
    I find the lack of pace disturbing...

I only see games on the telly so do not see what goes on away from the cameras, but IMO the team requires a player in the centre of the park who can collect the ball from the back four with his back facing the opposition, quickly turn, keep his head up, and either run directly forward with the ball looking for the next forward option or quickly launch the defence splitting ball to a forward player who is actively moving into space and not stationary admiring his marker. Who this player is with a limited budget, I have no idea, I'm thinking back to a Gary O'Neil clone.

[QUOTE=Nelsonca61;5040061]I only see games on the telly so do not see what goes on away from the cameras, but IMO the team requires a player in the centre of the park who can collect the ball from the back four with his back facing the opposition, quickly turn, keep his head up, and either run directly forward with the ball looking for the next forward option or quickly launch the defence splitting ball to a forward player who is actively moving into space and not stationary admiring his marker. Who this player is with a limited budget, I have no idea, I'm thinking back to a Gary O'Neil clone.[/QUOTE

I have to say, Gary O'Neill was probably the best loanee we ever had at the club, even surpassing Koumas. His skill, speed of thought and positional sense was head and shoulders above what we had at the time. No wonder we had no chance of securing his services from Pompey on a permanent basis. Yes, one possibly two Gary O'Neill clones would do nicely thank you very much.

I agree with the Barry Bannan response. We've played a number of sides with players of his nature who drop deep, find time and can orchestrate from midfield. A Whittingham or McPhail character please. Gary O'Neill an ideal example.

Our currently midfield crop instil panic and lack of confidence,