+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FT: ARMENIA 1 - 1 WALES. Match thread

Re: FT: ARMENIA 1 - 1 WALES. Match thread

Changing the management won't make much difference we simply don't have the player base

We have done well since 2016 , punching above our weight

Two or three real quality players in that side and we would be very useful

But when you are bringing on Dan James hoping he may change the game or relying on an ageing keiffer moore up front , who clearly isn't playing enough football , then it's the last chance saloon really

Really poor today.Losing pssession so often.Passing really poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    In fairness to Page he can't do much about the passing which was dreadful time and time again.
    It really was dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Changing the management won't make much difference we simply don't have the player base

We have done well since 2016 , punching above our weight

Two or three real quality players in that side and we would be very useful

But when you are bringing on Dan James hoping he may change the game or relying on an ageing keiffer moore up front , who clearly isn't playing enough football , then it's the last chance saloon really
    Can't argue with much of that Sludge. Two quality central midfielders and a major upgrade on Conor Roberts and we would indeed be a useful side. But with a relatively small pool of players to choose from any success we have will be cyclical and it could be a while before our time comes around again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Here's a thought.

Croatia win tonight, Wales lose to Turkey and Armenia beat Croatia, no play offs, I think?

Happily be wrong.
    Wales are in a playoff regardless, which will be at home unless the following happens.

Wales �������������� path to a home playoff semifinal (should they not overtake Croatia) needs these teams to qualify:

���� Netherlands
    ���� Italy
    ���� Switzerland
    ���� Czech Republic

The host of the finals are drawn at random.

The best case scenario is Iceland at home in the semi & Poland home in the final

If any of those teams fail, Wales will be away to that team. If they all qualify, Wales will be at home to one of Finland, Ukraine or Iceland

Page has no idea how to change a game that isn't going our way, it's like he's shocked that the opposition might try and nullify us

Here's a thought.

Croatia win tonight, Wales lose to Turkey and Armenia beat Croatia, no play offs, I think?

Happily be wrong.
    Based off the Nations League isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Taking off Wilson rather than switching to 4 at the back at that point was a truly bizarre decision, showed absolutely no understanding of the tactical situation. We ended up with speed up front and nobody to link between the back and the front who could actually get them the ball.

2-0 Croatia, time to get ready for a tough playoff.
    And he ended up going to a back 4 afterwards anyway, he has no clue what he's doing. It's all like for like changes then a panic when that doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Wales are in a playoff regardless, which will be at home unless the following happens.

Wales �������������� path to a home playoff semifinal (should they not overtake Croatia) needs these teams to qualify:

���� Netherlands
    ���� Italy
    ���� Switzerland
    ���� Czech Republic

The host of the finals are drawn at random.

The best case scenario is Iceland at home in the semi & Poland home in the final

If any of those teams fail, Wales will be away to that team. If they all qualify, Wales will be at home to one of Finland, Ukraine or Iceland
    Even if they finish 4th in the group? What a pile of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Based off the Nations League isn't it?
    I didn't know that, finish 4th and being awarded a play off place feels very wrong if right.

I didn't know that, finish 4th and being awarded a play off place feels very wrong if right.
    We'd be getting the playoff spot based on finishing bottom of our Nations League group as well!

By my reckoning only 3 of our starting 11 are starting regularly for their teams, All those 3 are in the championship. A number of that 11 are not getting a look in at club level, including the keeper and striker. I think we’ve done very well based on the above and it was always going to catch up with us at some point.

Page has no idea how to change a game that isn't going our way, it's like he's shocked that the opposition might try and nullify us
    This, bring on James & Johnson but continue to play in front of Armenia instead of turning them

Page has to be the most basic manager I’ve come across. He’s basically making it up as he goes along and hopes it works, tactically I’ve not seen many worse.

Our team isn’t that bad.
    He could have made effective changes tonight but he didn’t.

He ballsed it right up and panicked at the end playing with four forwards and nobody to feed them.

Imbecilic.

He certainly doesn't know how to use Brennan Johnson. Christ knows what he's trying to achieve there

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    He certainly doesn't know how to use Brennan Johnson. Christ knows what he's trying to achieve there
    You can’t just blame the manager because a player as talented as Johnson produces his club form so rarely in international football. Who played well for Wales yesterday? I suppose Danny Ward did, but I’m struggling to think of anyone else. The team passed the ball really poorly and for all of those criticising Kieffer Moore (who I admit looked like someone who barely plays these days), he had virtually nothing to work off because our crossing was mostly useless - instead, we fed him as if he had the speed of a Johnson or James as he was given long balls into the channels and asked to outpace his marker - that’s not Moore’s game and never will be.

Even someone as reliable as Ben Davies was a long way short of his best yesterday - a team has little chance when so many of their squad are below their best, so, for me, just blaming the manager is too easy. I’m not a huge Page fan, but yesterday was a collective failure whereby too many players failed to show up when it really mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    By my reckoning only 3 of our starting 11 are starting regularly for their teams, All those 3 are in the championship. A number of that 11 are not getting a look in at club level, including the keeper and striker. I think we’ve done very well based on the above and it was always going to catch up with us at some point.
    Rob Phillips also commented at some point that 'just' 3 of the Armenian team play in the Armenian league.
    Think he forgot for a minute that about which league most our players play in 😄

We'd be getting the playoff spot based on finishing bottom of our Nations League group as well!
    Wales got 1 point out of a possible 18 in the Nations League.

For that they've been offered a play off spot.

It's laughable really.

The playoffs aren't until next March. After Turkey could be a good time to change manager, although the playoff semi final would be the new manager's first game in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    The playoffs aren't until next March. After Turkey could be a good time to change manager, although the playoff semi final would be the new manager's first game in charge.
    Would be harsh on the new manager but something needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    for all of those criticising Kieffer Moore (who I admit looked like someone who barely plays these days), he had virtually nothing to work off because our crossing was mostly useless - instead, we fed him as if he had the speed of a Johnson or James as he was given long balls into the channels and asked to outpace his marker - that’s not Moore’s game and never will be.
    r.
    So if we can’t blame the manager for these tactics who can we blame?

Page is out of his depth. He’s got to go.

We don’t deserve to be going to a major finals.
    Let’s be honest. The home game against Croatia aside we’ve been absolute dog shit this campaign.

It looks like the Croatia home performance was a one off then as we’ve been poor in every other game. Having a fit Ramsey would be a big boost for a play off match and being at home will help too. However there seemed to be none of the fight from the players to keep Page in a job yesterday that was evident in that Croatia match so maybe after the Turkey game is the time to change the manager, might be a gamble but doing nothing is just as much of a gamble!

£9.25m for qualifying
    £1m for each group game won
    £500k for each group game drawn
    £1.5m for getting out of the group.
    They'd have to pay off 3 years of Page's contract (why the hell did they give him a 4 year contract???), but that's a lot of money to miss out on/potentially miss out on if we don't qualify.