+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

Banned

Re: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

10 x 8 berth second hand caravans on a bit of waste land. If it's good enough for the travelling community.
    Got to be better than Queen St.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    10 x 8 berth second hand caravans on a bit of waste land. If it's good enough for the travelling community.
    Interesting thought, although the travelling community are universally disliked, they seem to be self efficient with a desire to fix their housing plight

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    You'll have a bit of trouble fitting a few thousand in them.

....right sentiment though.

Churches, community centres etc the possibilities are there...but you'd need people there to man them too...

Proper homes. Lots of them. Previous government's have done it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    There are 10,000 people on the housing waiting list in Cardiff.
    Any ideas?

Where’s the money coming from for these new homes? Lots of them? Have you any idea how much a single new house costs even here in Wales?

Labour from 1997 to 2010 certainly didn't. Blair pledged 200,000 per year, Brown aimed for 240,000 a year (the number experts believed were necessary). Between them they averaged 185,000 in that 13-year span.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To just blame a single political party is very short sighted ,its too complex to badge this issue , a lot of funded councils are not all Tory , how many are homeless in
    London Boroughs run by Labour ?

Since 2010 , Tory government

Benefits reform leading to rent arrears and homelessness

Tory cuts to social services , drug and alcohol intervention tems

Selling even more fecking council houses and housing association properties and failing to replace those sold as they said they would

Too fecking right it's the Tory government who are responsible

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Where’s the money coming from for these new homes? Lots of them? Have you any idea how much a single new house costs even here in Wales?
    Well the Tories found money to bribe the DUP to get a government together

It's their watch now and they are overseeing a massive housing crisis

The problem is the Tory party never have and never will give a feck about the vulnerable in society as they don't vote for them

Shipping containers probably don't cost the world...if I had a choice between a shop doorway and a modified shopping container I know where I'd go...

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well the Tories found money to bribe the DUP to get a government together

It's their watch now and they are overseeing a massive housing crisis

The problem is the Tory party never have and never will give a feck about the vulnerable in society as they don't vote for them
    I’ll ask again - wheres the money coming from for all these new houses?

It’s a straightforward, direct question.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Labour from 1997 to 2010 certainly didn't. Blair pledged 200,000 per year, Brown aimed for 240,000 a year (the number experts believed were necessary). Between them they averaged 185,000 in that 13-year span.
    I am no fan of Blair , he was Thatcher in a suit

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I beg to differ a little, Sludge if I may, it is cheaper to use private Landlords (if you can find them) to house people rather than build the property yourself, and maintain it ie white goods, maintenance etc

Merthyr council I think were offering a deal to private landlords - if you had a 1 bed flat, they would pay the Landlord £500 a month, guarantee the rent full occupancy for 5 years and they would also do the maintenance themselves. I had a mate who had a 2 x 1 bed flats - he had murder with tennants not paying, smashing the place up etc. He bit their hand off when they offered it to him - guaranteed hassle free / maintenance free rent - it worked out cheaper for the council than having to buy land , build a houses / flats etc.

I would argue that this is the best of both worlds - private sector carries the cost build / purchase, public sector guarantees the rent and conditions of the property. It didnt extend to maintenance of roofs etc though or rewires - just general stuff
    But it is short-sighted in my view. £500 a month for a decade = £60,000. Surely the cost of building a single-bed flat in a block would be less than that. In the long term, paying private landlords instead of building has to work out more expensive. If you factor in the ability to be able to buy a property, using private landlords is even more expensive again. Even if you factor in the cost of land, a council-owned property will surely cost less after 20 years than paying a private landlord to provide the same.

I’ll ask again - wheres the money coming from for all these new houses?

It’s a straightforward, direct question.
    Sludge is right. Where did this government find £1bn to cling onto power? There might be the answer you're looking for. You could also ask where this government is finding the money to subsidise Brexit so the full effect isn't felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sludge is right. Where did this government find £1bn to cling onto power? There might be the answer you're looking for. You could also ask where this government is finding the money to subsidise Brexit so the full effect isn't felt.
    No, all I’m asking is where the money is coming from to build many, many new houses. Nothing else. Just that.

Must say it’s good to see that political debate is now accepted on the main message board.

No, all I’m asking is where the money is coming from to build many, many new houses. Nothing else. Just that.
    I'll answer that one. The money can be created from thin air. Just like that 800 billion quid was in 2008 to bail out those bastard bankers.

I'll answer that one. The money can be created from thin air. Just like that 800 billion quid was in 2008 to bail out those bastard bankers.
    Who created 800b from thin air?

Don't tell Sludge, it was the Labour government.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But it is short-sighted in my view. £500 a month for a decade = £60,000. Surely the cost of building a single-bed flat in a block would be less than that. In the long term, paying private landlords instead of building has to work out more expensive. If you factor in the ability to be able to buy a property, using private landlords is even more expensive again. Even if you factor in the cost of land, a council-owned property will surely cost less after 20 years than paying a private landlord to provide the same.
    I'm think Ninian Clark is describing a leasing scheme. These are used to place households in temporary accommodation. The local authority doesn't pay the rent though it comes from the leasing company who claw it back through Housing Benefit.

It's definitely not Merthyr council either.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To just blame a single political party is very short sighted ,its too complex to badge this issue , a lot of funded councils are not all Tory , how many are homeless in
    London Boroughs run by Labour ?
    Councils have no money and are still being told they need to make cuts. Whether the council is Labour or Tory is irrelevant, what is to blame is the continual forced moulding of a selfish society where things are more important than people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Councils have no money and are still being told they need to make cuts. Whether the council is Labour or Tory is irrelevant, what is to blame is the continual forced moulding of a selfish society where things are more important than people.
    That is certainly a big part of the problem.

It's coming from the same place as the £1bn for the DUP, Brexit subsidies etc. Maybe you'd like to question where the money is coming from for those.

Don't tell Sludge, it was the Labour government.
    Gideon would have done exactly the same. We should have said bollocks to the bankers.

33 million people in England and Wales self-identified as Christians according to the 2011 Census. There must be plenty of spare bedrooms that can be made available from that lot. Their churches are way underused too.