Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
You're right, but in the sense that through no fault of their own - this is what they have been born into and growing up with. I suspect if this technology had been around when I was a teenager in the sixties I would have been in the same position. I grew up using mental arithmetic wherever possible (which I still do) and log tables and a slide rule where not!

I probably won't be around much longer but I do worry for the future for my grandchildren in our "Brave New World".
Using mental arithmetic was the norm for all walks of life until the tap, beep, beep revolution. The old barmaids were a prime example, Christ, they’d be able to serve about four punters at once, with the four pints in different stages of ‘fullness’, whilst taking the money and working out four different amounts of change, remarkable skill really. Also, off point, they knew who was next to be served, solving the argument their side of the bar. It’s shite knowing your turn and some ignorant bugger muscles in before you and the bar person serves them through not having a clue how to ‘work the bar.