+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What a test series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What a test series

You've seen Croft an off spinner (a bowler who makes the ball spin in to a right hander), bowl a ball to a right handed batsman which turns a yard and more towards his off stump? I see.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You've seen Croft an off spinner (a bowler who makes the ball spin in to a right hander), bowl a ball to a right handed batsman which turns a yard and more towards his off stump? I see.

Well I am aware that they are different bowlers , off spin and leg spin, but I thought he was assisted considerably by the pitch. If he becomes more consistent and gains in confidence then he may well have a role to play over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Well I am aware that they are different bowlers , off spin and leg spin, but I thought he was assisted considerably by the pitch. If he becomes more consistent and gains in confidence then he may well have a role to play over the next few years.
    Are we sure that Warnies was not helped by the pitch,as I thought that's why pitches are roughed up others for the spinners , to make use of those naughty divets

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Are we sure that Warnies was not helped by the pitch,as I thought that's why pitches are roughed up others for the spinners , to make use of those naughty divets
    I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm 99 per cent sure that Warne's "ball of the century" happened on a Saturday, in which case it was likely to have been on the third day, because test matches always started on a Thursday back then, so the pitch probably was not as worn as much as it was for Rashid's. I just watched Rashid's ball again on the BBC website and I think it's significant that Geoff Boycott, who must have seen hundreds of thousands of balls bowled in his life, immediately compares it to Warne's - for me, that says a lot about how good Rashid's ball was.
    Fantastic ball, I agree.

Warne's was on the Friday apparently, his first ball in an Ashes test. I'm not sure how many deliveries have their own Wiki page but that one has.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_of_the_Century