+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M4 Relief Road in Newport....

M4 Relief Road in Newport....

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...ected-16368941

Looks like its going to be rejected.

Infrastructure in South Wales is mental. Daily commute for most is now becoming horrendous and almost gridlock.

What are the solutions when the buses and trains are so unreliable and overcrowded?

Re: M4 Relief Road in Newport....

Need to invest in rail sharpish. Time and time again, history shows that if you build more roads you just get more cars and even worse gridlock. Just look at LA. This is the best decision, but that money must be spent on improving public transport instead.

Not a surprise. Drakeford was always going to reject.

The payback on the investment seems really really poor. If I was spending £1bn on something I would want a lot more than £2bn back over the 60 years that the study seems to be run over.
    Chances are that the project cost would rise to £2bn then that is all of Wales' borrowing capacity used up for 60 years.

Tories hate us as we don't vote for them, so lets prey we get a JC government , and hope he likes us ??.

Tell you who did like us , and funded us, it was Europe , they provided so many worthwhile rejuvenating projects over the years , sadly we don't like them ,well we did like the money , just not them .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Tories hate us as we don't vote for them, so lets prey we get a JC government , and hope he likes us ??.

Tell you who did like us , and funded us, it was Europe , they provided so many worthwhile rejuvenating projects over the years , sadly we don't like them ,well we did like the money , just not them .
    I would love to see a map showing UK Vs eu INFRASTRUCTURE spending in the UK per capita.

The only data like this I've seen , just represents total government spending which is Often dominated by day to day things like benefits, nothing that will actually develop the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would love to see a map showing UK Vs eu INFRASTRUCTURE spending in the UK per capita.

The only data like this I've seen , just represents total government spending which is Often dominated by day to day things like benefits, nothing that will actually develop the economy.
    I'm sure you will find Wales was a net receiver and maybe NI followed by North East England ,Cornwall and Scotland ??

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-how-does-thi/

er, and where did they get 'the money' from ? You weren't serious - were you ??

I was in Edinburgh and one of the signs at the castle made the point that during the Georgian times clever development of the city has had a lasting positive effect and has left modern day Scots with a rich (architecturally) capital. As much as I love Cardiff I have to question whether this period, the last 2 years or so, will be remembered in the same vein. It seems that all we get is ugly "student" accommodation and new office blocks right in the centre where it's very difficult to get to when instead, yes, we should be investing in public transport and spreading out the things people need to travel to. We seem to slowly be getting better trains but I'd argue we need a larger central train station, although difficult, more than we need a new road, especially if it's not the right road.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I was in Edinburgh and one of the signs at the castle made the point that during the Georgian times clever development of the city has had a lasting positive effect and has left modern day Scots with a rich (architecturally) capital. As much as I love Cardiff I have to question whether this period, the last 2 years or so, will be remembered in the same vein. It seems that all we get is ugly "student" accommodation and new office blocks right in the centre where it's very difficult to get to when instead, yes, we should be investing in public transport and spreading out the things people need to travel to. We seem to slowly be getting better trains but I'd argue we need a larger central train station, although difficult, more than we need a new road, especially if it's not the right road.

[QUOTE=Monster munch;4977664]https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...ected-16368941

Looks like its going to be rejected.

Infrastructure in South Wales is mental. Daily commute for most is now becoming horrendous and almost gridlock.
    //

The traffic delays between the Coldra and Tredegar Park are a problem re personal and business journeys.
    A solution has to be found as the problem will not go away.
    £2b is nothing compared with the £60+b on HS2. Spending money on Public transport is unlikely imo to have a big impact on the problem

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    From all of the UK , we were a net receiver of funds.

They should just build a bridge or barrage over the Severn connecting Cardiff and Bristol. Power for all, no more traffic. 20 mins from one centre to other. Happy days

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They should just build a bridge or barrage over the Severn connecting Cardiff and Bristol. Power for all, no more traffic. 20 mins from one centre to other. Happy days
    That would be brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Great for online dating too.

Not really relevant to this thread, but I'm having an eligibility survey done under this scheme

http://arbedambyth.wales/

this morning, guess who is responsible for most of its funding?

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    Need to invest in rail sharpish. Time and time again, history shows that if you build more roads you just get more cars and even worse gridlock. Just look at LA. This is the best decision, but that money must be spent on improving public transport instead.
    Rail infrastructure isn't devolved is it? Isn't that why the electrification has been cancelled, because it's a Westminster decision?

And they are going to spend just under a £1b on the heads of the valley, sooner the better we get rid of the useless wag!

According to my tax notice I paid £79 in European funding last year. That's just over 21p a day. Starngely enough, the EU's investment in Wales last year was - £79 per person. So I paid 21p a day to be invested in Wales. Well worth it. Compare that with the investment in Wales from Westminster last year - Rail Electrification (Canceled), Swansea Barage (Refused) . But Welsh taxes spent on Cross Rai and HS2 which will bring huge economic benefits to Wales (not).

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    And they are going to spend just under a £1b on the heads of the valley, sooner the better we get rid of the useless wag!
    Match funded by the EU. Nothing from Westminster. You want to get rid of WAG and leave all investment to Westminster? We're already fcuked by Westminster, it's the WAG that ensures some of our taxes are re-invested in Wales. It's Westminster we need to get rid of.

From all of the UK , we were a net receiver of funds.
    On Mars maybe, but there isn't a political party or organization that doesn't accept the complete opposite :

The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth about £5.6 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18.6 billion in contributions

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not really relevant to this thread, but I'm having an eligibility survey done under this scheme

http://arbedambyth.wales/

this morning, guess who is responsible for most of its funding?
    British taxpayers. I don't know anyone thinks the 'EU' funds projects. The EU doesn't have any money, it all comes from contributions from National governments...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Rail infrastructure isn't devolved is it? Isn't that why the electrification has been cancelled, because it's a Westminster decision?
    Yep. That's a major problem. Wales will never be able to sort its problems under current arrangements.

British taxpayers. I don't know anyone thinks the 'EU' funds projects. The EU doesn't have any money, it all comes from contributions from National governments...
    That should mean that I would be getting this done by the UK Government if/when we leave the EU then, that's the Government which has been banging on about the need for austerity for the best part of the last decade.

I was well up for this bypass until I looked into the details

No government is going to approve a scheme that costs £1bn and would take 30+ years to break even.

So many better ways of investing that kind of money that will pay back many times more than that.