+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What do you do for a living?

Graduated in Business And HR three years ago, travelled for 2 years and worked abroad which I loved!
    Been home for nearly a year now and couldn’t find a graduate job, just working in a warehouse in Bridgend, hate my job and can’t see any way of getting out of it, thought I would have my shit sorted by 25, Waiting and looking for a break now.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Graduated in Business And HR three years ago, travelled for 2 years and worked abroad which I loved!
    Been home for nearly a year now and couldn’t find a graduate job, just working in a warehouse in Bridgend, hate my job and can’t see any way of getting out of it, thought I would have my shit sorted by 25, Waiting and looking for a break now.
    Sorry to hear mate, nothing worse then being stuck in a job you hate when you know you’ve got the ability to do better. I’m in a similar position.

Sell software to travel companies.

Can’t you shoot off again? Maybe you’re break will come abroad rather than at home, you never know eh?
    I mainly do painting and decorating these days but have acquired a few properties in the last 20 years I’ve renovated and rented out.

I manage a sales team for a national manufacturer of landscaping products.

You may not like what I'm about to say but if I were you I'd go back to uni and get a meaningful degree.Probably the most common degree and theres loads working in McDonalds.I remember my daughters english teacher's advice to her when she was 18."go to a proper uni and study a proper subject".So she went to Aberystwith Uni and studied english.If your still with me and not too pissed off with my cheek the irony is she now heads her own department as a busuness anylist at a commercial bank which on the face of it is strange when guys like you appear to have a qualification more suited to the role she's doing.

Soz

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You may not like what I'm about to say but if I were you I'd go back to uni and get a meaningful degree.Probably the most common degree and theres loads working in McDonalds.I remember my daughters english teacher's advice to her when she was 18."go to a proper uni and study a proper subject".So she went to Aberystwith Uni and studied english.If your still with me and not too pissed off with my cheek the irony is she now heads her own department as a busuness anylist at a commercial bank which on the face of it is strange when guys like you appear to have a qualification more suited to the role she's doing.

Soz
    Alternatively, I have a Business Management degree, and I've just fallen into IT project management & it's clicked. Sometimes you just find yourself in the right place at the right time. I wouldn't have even considered that this was an option 12 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post

Soz
    No need to be sorry, I agree with a lot of what you said, I chose Business as I was 18 straight out of school and no idea what I wanted to do.
    Wanted to go to uni for the social aspect. I had a good time and don’t regret any of that, but the flip side was I never worked towards a particular career. Most people on my course ended up getting graduate roles at admiral and places like that, but I think my issue is I am not an office type person and not committed to finding these graduate roles. My previous jobs have been golf instructor in Boston (USA) and snowboard instructor in Italy.

Therefore I believe I am suffering from lack of consistency in what I studied and what I enjoy doing.

I have recently applied to be an Officer in the RAF as it seems a great bridge to match my love of travel and sport with a (half tidy) academic background.

No need to be sorry, I agree with a lot of what you said, I chose Business as I was 18 straight out of school and no idea what I wanted to do.
    Wanted to go to uni for the social aspect. I had a good time and don’t regret any of that, but the flip side was I never worked towards a particular career. Most people on my course ended up getting graduate roles at admiral and places like that, but I think my issue is I am not an office type person and not committed to finding these graduate roles. My previous jobs have been golf instructor in Boston (USA) and snowboard instructor in Italy.

Therefore I believe I am suffering from lack of consistency in what I studied and what I enjoy doing.

I have recently applied to be an Officer in the RAF as it seems a great bridge to match my love of travel and sport with a (half tidy) academic background.
    I'm not quite sure why, but I think you will end up doing well in life . You come across as being honest and pragmatic. Don't be overly concerned by expectations - I didn't pass my driving test until I was 34 and I got married for the first time at 46. Live the life YOU want.

Good luck, that sounds like it could be the perfect job for you.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Have you considered doing a TESOL (Trinity College London Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or a CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults). Both are widely recognised by employers and by official bodies. And working overseas not travelling but living in the country

I used to employ a lot of Aussies Americans Brits in a large English language school in Ho Chi Minh City and every single one of them thrived on the opportunity often going on to develop careers based around their experience rather than an academic qualification