+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lest we forget

Re: Lest we forget

Who watched the Remembrance Day Parade with the 99 year marine ?
    Bring a tear to a glass eye his speech.
    He soake about not wanting too see fighting on the streets or racial injustice.
    Moving stuff 👏👏

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Another hero , my uncle is buried in Shrewsbury and my grandfather's military medal is at the town's museum

The d day landings must have been so traumatic

Just think , if Hitler hadn't been such a lunatic and left Russia alone , he might have conquered Europe

As it was he took on Stalin , another psychopath , on the eastern front and gradually he was penned in from both sides
    My mums great grandfather died at the battle of loos with Lord Ninian Edward Crichton-Stuart, my father's grandfather died at sea sunk by 'U' boat.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Attachment 1932
    Map of Grangetown every red poppy denotes a household that lost a life in WW1.
    Unbelievable.

I have to agree with some other posters though, it's so sad that the poppy seems to have been hijacked by right wing xenephobes in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Unbelievable.

I have to agree with some other posters though, it's so sad that the poppy seems to have been hijacked by right wing xenephobes in recent years.
    Agreed, and also hijacked by the BBC as a fashion accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Who watched the Remembrance Day Parade with the 99 year marine ?
    Bring a tear to a glass eye his speech.
    He soake about not wanting too see fighting on the streets or racial injustice.
    Moving stuff 👏👏
    Yep , very moving

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    My mums great grandfather died at the battle of loos with Lord Ninian Edward Crichton-Stuart, my father's grandfather died at sea sunk by 'U' boat.
    Heroes mate

An image such as that illustrates the loss and the reasons we shouldn't forget. Not the modern day images of some publicity seeking, politically motivated waanker waving a Union Jack.

Re: Grangetown map by Insider.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Attachment 1932
    Map of Grangetown every red poppy denotes a household that lost a life in WW1.
    A double tragedy being that a lot of that map also lost family members during WW2. Stockland Street corner took a direct hit.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There are a few youngsters who'd do well to read articles such as this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

Reading some other light hearted threads recently about history ignorance on game shows of people, you have to question whether we are doing enough to educate people not just in schools but in the media.

Lest we forget.
    My 7 year old son is learning about WW2 in school. He is fascinated by it and it really is something that we should never forget. When I was in an old school, there were names above each classroom of pupils who died in action in WW1.

We missed the two minutes silence because of a family loss, and he was the one who reminded me about it. So, we had two minutes of silence later in the day.

I think we are doing enough to educate kids about this - the problem being that, whilst I had four grandparents who were kids during the War, and who could tell me stories, many kids have no such links now. Therefore, it becomes more of an abstract notion I guess.

Five brothers who died in action in World War One

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41920834

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post

Phew that's moving

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    My 7 year old son is learning about WW2 in school. He is fascinated by it and it really is something that we should never forget. When I was in an old school, there were names above each classroom of pupils who died in action in WW1.

We missed the two minutes silence because of a family loss, and he was the one who reminded me about it. So, we had two minutes of silence later in the day.

I think we are doing enough to educate kids about this - the problem being that, whilst I had four grandparents who were kids during the War, and who could tell me stories, many kids have no such links now. Therefore, it becomes more of an abstract notion I guess.
    Day trip to the London War Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post

Wow. Unimaginable heartache for the lady.

I'm unsure why World War 1 is still remembered as everyone who fought in the confilct is dead. Otherwise let's pretend we give a flying feck about those who died in the Boer War, Napoleonic Wars and every other war that preceded it. Public displays of remembrance always reek of insincerity, whether it be at the Cenotaph in London, football grounds or anywhere else. It's more of a keeping up appearences exercise.

I have more time for those who were brave enough to refuse to kill on someone else's command and suffered as a consequence of sticking to their principles.