+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ronnie Bird

Ronnie Bird

Sometimes I read a thread that mentions a player and I think ' hey...what ever happened to him...' such is the case with Ronnie Bird...whom I remember flying through puddles at Ninian Park. Well, sadly this is what happened....
    After retiring from football he took over as manager at Ebbw Vale and Bridgend Town before later returning to work with Jimmy Scoular as his assistant manager at Newport County. He left his post at the club during the 1978–79 season and later took over as landlord of the Golden Cross and Romilly Arms pubs in Cardiff.[3][6] His experience in the trade prompted Cardiff City to hire him to take charge of the several bars in the club's ground and he later took up a number of positions at the club including match day hospitality manager, manager of the players' restaurant and a commentator for the club's website. He was taken ill in 2003, originally thinking he was suffering from flu,[6] and was diagnosed with leukaemia.[8] He subsequently stepped down from his various roles at the club, although after recovering somewhat he later returned to commentate on matches again before he died in the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, in 2005.[3]

I remember you with affection Ronnie...and I am sure many others do also...

Re: Ronnie Bird

A Character in every sense.

I’m sure he had a share in a Hairdressing Salon, in Churchill Way as well .

Great fella

Perhaps the most exciting Cardiff City player ever on those occasions when he pulled it off.
    He often didn't to be fair, but that was worth it for the net bulgers !

His last season with us was disappointing, he only played 3 times I think. He was released and went to Crewe for a year, was released from there and went to Gloucester City for a while> I think he finished with a year at Merthyr? I also thought he had a barber's shop before going in to the licensed trade. Like a lot of players who signed for us back then he stayed in the area. Gary Bell, Don Murray, Brian Harris, Brian Clark, Ronnie Bird, Bobby Woodruff.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    His last season with us was disappointing, he only played 3 times I think. He was released and went to Crewe for a year, was released from there and went to Gloucester City for a while> I think he finished with a year at Merthyr? I also thought he had a barber's shop before going in to the licensed trade. Like a lot of players who signed for us back then he stayed in the area. Gary Bell, Don Murray, Brian Harris, Brian Clark, Ronnie Bird, Bobby Woodruff.
    He did have a hairdressing business on Churchill Way, he cut my hair once. I got to know him fairly well when he was the landlord of the two pubs mentioned above, he'd talk about his football career if asked, but most of the time my conversations with him were about the sort of daft things you talk to landlords about - he was good company.

Nice bloke, he used to live in Llandaff North.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I met Brian Clark at Wembley on a cup final day. He was in company with Lou Maccari and about four or five super names , ( maybe Kevin Keegan, not sure now but that kind of level ). Big Ron was certainly there. In any case, I was able to do him a small thing by pretending to be unclear about who the others were and entirely unimpressed , but make a beeline for him and make a massive fuss of asking whether he was Brian Clark as if he was royalty.
    He went from being a supporting actor to the star of the show and he obviously loved it. I had a big chat with him and I'm pleased to tell you that he was a genuinely lovely man. Unfortunately I think he's passed on now , but his goal against Real Madrid will live on forever .
    ( imagine how star struck I'd have been if it'd have been Ronnie Bird). I also went into a pub in Chepstow or somewhere once and Brian Harris was the landlord.

This is turning into the four Yorkshiremen.

Ronnie was a bit special in the day. Ran straight and quick and had a hell of a shot.
    Brian Harris was a tremendous wing back. One of the best I have ever seen for City. Wonder if he's in the football team in the sky now?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Ronnie was a bit special in the day. Ran straight and quick and had a hell of a shot.
    Brian Harris was a tremendous wing back. One of the best I have ever seen for City. Wonder if he's in the football team in the sky now?
    Brian Harris sadly died in 2008.

According to Wiki the funeral service was held in the small church in the corner at Goodison

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Nice bloke, he used to live in Llandaff North.
    Yup, The Fram! I lived in nearby Cornelly Street and went around with a group of my mates (aged about 8-10) and got his autograph. His house at that time was modern but quite small, I think they were 2 bedroom semi and terraced houses.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yup, The Fram! I lived in nearby Cornelly Street and went around with a group of my mates (aged about 8-10) and got his autograph. His house at that time was modern but quite small, I think they were 2 bedroom semi and terraced houses.
    I remember the Fram. A pre-cast concrete producer. I used to go there to get sawdust for my rabbit cage (My father wouldn't let me in the house!! )
    I moved miles from Colwinstone Street to the top end of Aberporth Road (About 600 yds) when I was 10 but having crossed College road I was no longer considered a Landaff northian!! I can't remember when they got rid of the fram but it is now Colwinstone close.

The pair of semis next to the field gate above that close were built in the mid fifties when the Fram was still operating.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I remember the Fram. A pre-cast concrete producer. I used to go there to get sawdust for my rabbit cage (My father wouldn't let me in the house!! )
    I moved miles from Colwinstone Street to the top end of Aberporth Road (About 600 yds) when I was 10 but having crossed College road I was no longer considered a Landaff northian!! I can't remember when they got rid of the fram but it is now Colwinstone close.

The pair of semis next to the field gate above that close were built in the mid fifties when the Fram was still operating.
    We moved into Cornelly Street in about 1967 I think it was. I can recall playing in the dug out foundations that they had made for the new housing over the Fram.
    Colwinstone Street and Aberporth Road in particular were such long stretches; I used to hate to have to walk up them, seemed to take an eternity when you were a kid.
    I always used to try and give Caldy Road a wide berth too - some right nutcases living in those prefab houses!

As I lad I thought he was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Whilst I echo all the sentiments regarding the contribution of Brian Harris on the pitch does anyone else recall the fact that his personal reputation was somewhat sullied by a conviction for indecent exposure after he left Newport ?

According to this Ronnie Birds still going strong? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Bird