+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Worst midfield in the Euros

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Worst midfield in the Euros

Wales are probably as strong as they ever have been in the last five years. What has helped matters,as it did with Ireland for a long while,is the availability of Welshmen who weren't born in Wales have two usually English parents but suddenly find a Welsh grandad or grandma hiding away in the attic. Thus finding a big group of Welshmen who don't actually know they are Welsh till they are pulling the shirt on.

No complaints about it just pointing out it is very handy.

Re: Worst midfield in the Euros

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Wales are probably as strong as they ever have been in the last five years. What has helped matters,as it did with Ireland for a long while,is the availability of Welshmen who weren't born in Wales have two usually English parents but suddenly find a Welsh grandad or grandma hiding away in the attic. Thus finding a big group of Welshmen who don't actually know they are Welsh till they are pulling the shirt on.

No complaints about it just pointing out it is very handy.
    That's the way top sport is now and it is not only limited to small nations. The big countries are doing it too if it means they get the best players. Looking at that Swiss side last night, they have quite a few players of Albanian or ex Yugoslavian heritage who's parents/grandparents maybe fled there during the Balkan war.

Laporte has just switched allegiance from France to Spain, Jorginho of Italy....

Got to get an edge where you can. Plus gone are the days of identity being linked to your place of birth. With people moving around for work or better living standards, you may have stronger feeling for the place of your parent's/grandparent's birth rather than the country you happen to live in. With the amount of Welsh people who end up living and working over the border, it makes sense to have an eye on the players born to them and widen the pool.

In relation to Joe Morrell, I must have watched different games to most people as I thought he was great for us in the group stages. Yes he may not be the best midfielder in Europe but he put an absolute shift in and for me, did not look out of place. There were quite a few players who had tough games against Denmark, especially our back four.

I remember the days of Carl Fletcher in our midfield...this crop are next level compared to then!