+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RESULT Shamima Begum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: RESULT Shamima Begum

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Ok, I'm going to persevere. I don't know why you think I was talking about the meaning of your username, absolutely no idea why you responded with that, but there we go. Let's forget that.

The link you gave before was actually pretty informative, so let's say she ticks all the boxes and would be granted citizenship there. She still needs to provide them with information. She still needs to fill in a form with her parents' details to show why she is eligible. The authorities don't just 'know' this. She was born in Britain so Bangladesh may not have any record of her existence whatsoever. She also then needs to get some kind of documentation in return to say "yes, you are a Bangladeshi citizen", be it a card or whatever.

This is what I mean by applying. We can see that it doesn't drop out of the skies automatically because she's NOT A BANGLADESHI CITIZEN NOW even if she is 100% legally entitled to be called one.

If she doesn't pick up a pen and fill in the form, it won't happen.
    Quite agree, about form filling but as you see in the link as her mother and father are Bangladesh she is according to their laws a Bangladesh citizen by descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Quite agree, about form filling but as you see in the link as her mother and father are Bangladesh she is according to their laws a Bangladesh citizen by descent.
    But what Lardy is saying that until she fills in, signs, sends off the form and gets her approval back she is not officially a Bangladeshi citizen, even if she is entitled to it, and therefore by revoking her British citizenship with out her having her Bangladeshi membership card the UK are making her stateless.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    But what Lardy is saying that until she fills in, signs, sends off the form and gets her approval back she is not officially a Bangladeshi citizen, even if she is entitled to it, and therefore by revoking her British citizenship with out her having her Bangladeshi membership card the UK are making her stateless.
    Ummm did I not just agree to his post about filling in forms, you should read my reply to him
    Quote "Quite agree, about form filling" un-quote

Ummm did I not just agree to his post about filling in forms, you should read my reply to him
    Quote "Quite agree, about form filling" un-quote
    Yes. I read it, but you were still banging on about her already being a Bangladeshi citizen.

Yes. I read it, but you were still banging on about her already being a Bangladeshi citizen.
    According to the Bangladesh government she already is, stop splitting hairs, here is the link again for you to properly read it!

http://bdlaws.minlaw.gov.bd/sections...ctions_id=7472

According to the Bangladesh government she already is, stop splitting hairs, here is the link again for you to properly read it!

http://bdlaws.minlaw.gov.bd/sections...2§ions_id=7472
    No, according to the government someone in her position is. She simply needs to prove it.

http://bdlaws.minlaw.gov.bd/sections...2§ions_id=7472
    The wording from that site is:

"5. Subject to the provisions of section 3 a person born after the commencement of this Act, shall be a citizen of Bangladesh by descent if his 1[ father or mother] is a citizen of Bangladesh at the time of his birth:

Provided that if the 2[ father or mother] of such person is a citizen of Bangladesh by descent only, that person shall not be a citizen of Bangladesh by virtue of this section unless-

(a) that person's birth having occurred in a country outside Bangladesh the birth is registered at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country, or where there is no Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country at the prescribed Consulate or Mission or at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in the country nearest to that country; or

(b) that person's 3[ father or mother] is, at the time of the birth, in the service of any Government in Bangladesh.
    "

This is the important part. Has she been registered? her solicitor states that she is not a dual national, so it would appear she has not been.

"5. Subject to the provisions of section 3 a person born after the commencement of this Act, shall be a citizen of Bangladesh by descent if his 1[ father or mother] is a citizen of Bangladesh at the time of his birth:

Provided that if the 2[ father or mother] of such person is a citizen of Bangladesh by descent only, that person shall not be a citizen of Bangladesh by virtue of this section unless-

(a) that person's birth having occurred in a country outside Bangladesh the birth is registered at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country, or where there is no Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in that country at the prescribed Consulate or Mission or at a Bangladesh Consulate or Mission in the country nearest to that country; or

(b) that person's 3[ father or mother] is, at the time of the birth, in the service of any Government in Bangladesh.
    "

This is the important part. Has she been registered? her solicitor states that she is not a dual national, so it would appear she has not been.
    I interpreted that to mean that the bold part only applies if the parents weren't born in Bangladesh and only got their citizenship from the grandparents birthplace. Which may or may not be her situation, I've no idea.

"

The way I read it was that if the mother or father were born outside of Bangladesh then they cannot provide citizenship by descent unless one of the rules apply.

the sentence "that person shall not be a citizen of Bangladesh by virtue of this section unless"

And she would need to give evidence of this. They won't just approve it because it says in the papers that her parents are Bangladeshi.