+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Her Majesty the Queen's Christmas Message

Re: Her Majesty the Queen's Christmas Message

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I struggle to see how you think we’ll come out better off in the end? What makes you believe this?
    I’m not keen and never have been, on organisations that get too big and get too much power. The EU is becoming just that.
    Here we get the chance to vote out the government every 4 yrs if the people want to. Not so with the EU.
    We are quite capable as an independent country to stand on our own 2 feet, make our own laws and rules, and trade with every other country in the world that we want to trade with.
    We will still be able to travel anywhere in the world that we want to.
    There are parts of the UK that are in dire straits right now, whilst we are in the EU.
    I see al lot of panic and scaremongering, just as there was when Scotland had their independence vote. The fear of the unknown can hold people back. I am confident the UK can both survive and prosper with out being tied to the EU. You may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I would have prefered it to have been for voters between the ages of 16 and 59.
    ..and just those in London for good measure..

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Here we get the chance to vote out the government every 4 yrs if the people want to. Not so with the EU.
    In the last 40 years, the Tories have won every general election, apart from the few won by Labour under one man who was doing an impression of a Tory. This is the worst government I've ever known and I'm sure they'd still squeak a win at GE tomorrow, such is the political landscape set up for them.

We are quite capable as an independent country to stand on our own 2 feet, make our own laws and rules, and trade with every other country in the world that we want to trade with.
    Which countries are we trying to trade with now that we aren't able to? The difference is that as part of the EU, we'd get a much better deal with other countries than on our own. That stands to reason as being part of a big group. That's why countries form big groups to begin with.

Which EU laws don't you like? We've been one of the biggest forces in forming those laws and we have a veto. In future, if we want to continue dealing with the EU (and we should) we'll be going along with those rules anyway but we won't have had a say in them.

But it's suddenly got a lot more difficult to live in a certain part of the world or have a spouse or family from there.

There are parts of the UK that are in dire straits right now, whilst we are in the EU.
    And those parts get more funding from the EU than Westminster, as we in Wales should know all too well.

I am confident the UK can both survive and prosper with out being tied to the EU. You may disagree.
    I agree the UK can prosper out of the EU. I have zero confidence that our current parliament will achieve it.

The EU is corrupt.
    The EU is corrupt. Every institution is. The question is how much. Unfortunately our Parliament has had expenses scandals, cash for questions, big business lobbying and I don't see what has been done to sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Who knows, but the EU need the UK more than the other way round. I think the trade 'deficit' is something like £50 billion a year, so the queues of lorries will be longer in France and Belgium. Plus you can add the £40 billion we won't pay the EU. The UK economy is stronger than all EU countries bar Germany - they'll be sh*tting themselves with a 'no deal' brexit, which, I guess is May's strategy to get some last minute concessions..
    It's a very sad state of affairs that some people still believe this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's a very sad state of affairs that some people still believe this is true.
    Oh dear, !!

I’m not keen and never have been, on organisations that get too big and get too much power. The EU is becoming just that.
    I see al lot of panic and scaremongering, just as there was when Scotland had their independence vote. The fear of the unknown can hold people back. I am confident the UK can both survive and prosper with out being tied to the EU. You may disagree.
    Out of interest which EU laws and rules would you like changed?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It doesnt represent all working class folk , and although there are thousands who may think along the narrow views contained in this post ,theirs many who enjoy the existence of the Royals ,many a Welsh home or working class club /pub would adorn a picture of the queen ,this post smacks of totalitarianism.

You will have the chance to vote for a republic very soon ,good luck .

I may vote with my apathetic approach to politicians lies and a disregard for those who have a hand in wallet by staying where I am. The weather here is lovely and the beer cheap and cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Of course it does, when so many of the people who will be around to experience the true consequences of the decision taken were not given a vote and so many who voted will be dead and gone when the true cost/value of the decision and others who did have a say will be long gone.
    TOBW, when the UK joined the EEC in 1973, what vote were the youngsters of the time given to voice their opinion of membership, were the youngsters of yesteryear not so important as the youngsters of today ? a positive was given in 1975 to continue to stay in the EEC by 67%, again we are still talking about the EEC, an economic community who enticed the UK by distributing adverts of the milk and butter mountains, still no talk of trade deals, EU armies, political union, when did the UK ever vote to go into something that the UK voted to leave ?, the voting system may not be fair but I'm not old enough to know it to be any different to what it is today and since my eligibility to vote, has always been tied to this system subsequently, I have never voted Tory but have had to accept the governments of Margaret Thatcher, as a youngster I stood outside greenway junior school for a day canvassing voters for Jim Callaghan during this Particular Election, the 79 election was the 1st i was old enough to vote in, discounting Heath as i was only 9 when he came to power, I then had to stomach John Major, David Cameron and now Theresa May and at no time was i able to say I want a revote because i didn't like the winner using the implemented system, during these times how many voters went armed to the polls in 100% full knowledge of what they were voting for?, if we were lucky, you might have been able to get a glance of a 5 page manifesto. I can run with the hare or hunt with the hounds on this issue, I didn't vote but would have voted leave if a vote was mandatory , this should have been the easiest of win for the remain side of the argument but instead of getting the positive message out they reverted to type and just attacked the leave side of the argument forgetting the positives in their deck of cards. The remain side (self-acclaimed leaders of the movement) have no one to blame other than themselves, they let the 40 odd % down with their ineffective campaign, Wales was in the top 3 regions of the amount of investment from the EU but voted to leave, reverting to type the boyos have been branded racist, thick etc. etc. I tend to think that Wales just said after generations of Welsh have known nothing but poverty despite EU investment and seeing prosperity in other parts of the UK, that's it, we have had enough of this, we don't know what life will be outside the EU, but we are willing to give it a try having been left behind whilst in the EU. If we have another vote, I'll note vote again either, I do agree it is a youngster’s issue, but it isn't now or ever was the system. Whatever happens, and i don't believe despite the rhetoric that the UK will get a divorce. the fallout will last for generations, this won’t go away in a few months, with the internet, world events can no longer be hidden and its plain to see, the world is going into some sort of reset, like the majority I would guess on this MB, I have children and grandchildren and worry intensely for their futures but will not get into, it’s their fault mentality, if it’s IMO a good or bad policy I don’t care which side it comes from, the days of blinded loyalty for me are gone, just like the football, I don’t want the city to lose, if they lose then it’s no big deal and onto the next day. Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn, it isn’t going to get any better in the short to medium term!!!!!. You have a few years on me and would probably recall the events of joining the EEC better than me, but I don’t think the youngsters were given a vote which excluded the grippers of the time so I’m not sure any different rules should be in play now, although if it was changed would just go along with the flow as I generally have throughout the years.

In the last 40 years, the Tories have won every general election, apart from the few won by Labour under one man who was doing an impression of a Tory. This is the worst government I've ever known and I'm sure they'd still squeak a win at GE tomorrow, such is the political landscape set up for them.

Which countries are we trying to trade with now that we aren't able to? The difference is that as part of the EU, we'd get a much better deal with other countries than on our own. That stands to reason as being part of a big group. That's why countries form big groups to begin with.

Which EU laws don't you like? We've been one of the biggest forces in forming those laws and we have a veto. In future, if we want to continue dealing with the EU (and we should) we'll be going along with those rules anyway but we won't have had a say in them.

But it's suddenly got a lot more difficult to live in a certain part of the world or have a spouse or family from there.

And those parts get more funding from the EU than Westminster, as we in Wales should know all too well.

I agree the UK can prosper out of the EU. I have zero confidence that our current parliament will achieve it.

The EU is corrupt. Every institution is. The question is how much. Unfortunately our Parliament has had expenses scandals, cash for questions, big business lobbying and I don't see what has been done to sort it.
    https://www.capitalandconflict.com/b...s-to-leave-eu/

If the queen stood for parliament in 2017 with her viewing figures , she'd be the 3rd biggest party in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If the queen stood for parliament in 2017 with her viewing figures , she'd be the 3rd biggest party in the UK.
    Using that logic, the cast of 'I'm a Celebrity' (with greater viewing figures recorded this year) should have even more political clout than her....

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Out of interest which EU laws and rules would you like changed?
    Aw c’mon they’ve only ensured holiday pay, paternity leave, tighter health & safety at work, strengthened workers rights etc. Oh hang on, no wonder a lot of ardent right wingers want out, a return to British law & Victorian values, can’t f*cking wait !!! Get back up that chimney you ungrateful child!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Aw c’mon they’ve only ensured holiday pay, paternity leave, tighter health & safety at work, strengthened workers rights etc. Oh hang on, no wonder a lot of ardent right wingers want out, a return to British law & Victorian values, can’t f*cking wait !!! Get back up that chimney you ungrateful child!!!!
    Although your post is quite funny. You couldn’t get further than the truth if you tried, if you think I’m a right winger. The old MB pidgeon hole routine 😁

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Loads of them say stuff like "stand on our own two feet" "take back control" but those are just words, they're just repeating slogans. Take back control of what? We're in Europe but still have our own currency, what does that tell you about how much control they have over us

Although your post is quite funny. You couldn’t get further than the truth if you tried, if you think I’m a right winger. The old MB pidgeon hole routine ��
    So which specific EU laws and rules are you looking forward to us changing then? Must be an absolute ton of them if you're happy to go out with the insecurity of no deal

International

[QUOTE=lardy;4936004]In the last 40 years, the Tories have won every general election, apart from the few won by Labour under one man who was doing an impression of a Tory. This is the worst government I've ever known and I'm sure they'd still squeak a win at GE tomorrow, such is the political landscape set up for them"

I try not to enter political arguments but this statement is really so lacking in basic understanding of the way things work as to demand an answer.

Parliamentary constituencies are determined in order to ensure that each has roughly the same number of voters as the others. Because of the movement of people this means that every 5 years or so the Boundaries commissions report to the secretary of state on numbers and make recommendations to alter the boundaries to correct any large discrepancies in numbers of voters. The Sec of state then puts a bill before parliament to alter the boundaries.

In reality although there has been reports regularly the boundaries have not changed for about 20 years. The Labour party under Blair/Brown wouldn't change them because the movement of population and the differences in certain constituencies greatly favoured the Labour vote. I'm not sure of the exact figuers but it meant that the Labour Party needed a far smaller percentage of the vote to reach the balance line in constituencies than the conservatives did.

When the Torys went into coalition with the Lib Dems part of the agreement was that the Lib Dems would be given a free vote on proportional representation and in return they would support the bill to redraw the parliamentary boundaries.

The Lib Dems got their vote but because the didn't like the outcome they reneged on their promise and refused to support the bill so it was deferred yet again.
    If the parliamentary boundaries were redrawn to reflect the location of the present day population it is calculated that it would give the Conservative party an instant additional 40 plus seats, so you can see why the Labour party doesn't want it to happen.

But, it should happen every 5 years or so whoever benefits and the current estimate of those seats is only because the Labour government and then the colaition didn't act.

So to say that the Conservative Party is benefitting from "A political landscape set up for them" is not only ridiculous but also shows a total non-understanding of the facts.

Whether you are red or blue the adjustments should be made regularly just as they always were in the past, and the failure to do it for short term political ends has caused the large potential discrepancy now. Maybe it's one of the reasons Jeremy is not trying to bring down the government, because he knows that if the conservatives should win an overall majority the boundaries bill will probably be one of the first things they bring to the house and then he'll never be Prime minister.
    Like it or not, that's how it is!

It doesn’t really matter who you vote for these days as they’re all the same it also doesn’t help that people predominantly vote for the same party as their parents or grandparents instead of voting for the party that is offering the answer to their questions, unfortunately imo the lot of them aren’t fit for purpose

So which specific EU laws and rules are you looking forward to us changing then? Must be an absolute ton of them if you're happy to go out with the insecurity of no deal
    You are missing the point. I want the UK to be in a position where we are are solely accountable for all our choices, laws and rules. The very fact that you are bandying about terms like “insecurity of a no deal” just shows how much of a strangle hold the EU have on us and others in a short space of time.
    The guy at the end of my street is a nice guy, and I get on with him, but I wouldn’t want him having the power to tell me what to do in my own house.
    You seem too ready to take the piss out of “ terms like “standing on our own 2 feet” or “ take back control”, but that’s what the majority voted for.
    As I said earlier in the thread, we entered the common market in the 70’s ( without a vote) to form a trading partnership with other European countries. All of a sudden the EU has got a choke hold on us, and it will Only get tighter.
    It’s fast becoming a power state, with shady characters gaining top positions randomly, along with massive wages and pensions.
    As you’ve already said, this present government stinks, and I agree. But it’s a lot easier for us (the people) to change things at home , than it is to change things in the EU.

You are missing the point. I want the UK to be in a position where we are are solely accountable for all our choices, laws and rules. The very fact that you are bandying about terms like “insecurity of a no deal” just shows how much of a strangle hold the EU have on us and others in a short space of time.
    The guy at the end of my street is a nice guy, and I get on with him, but I wouldn’t want him having the power to tell me what to do in my own house.
    You seem too ready to take the piss out of “ terms like “standing on our own 2 feet” or “ take back control”, but that’s what the majority voted for.
    As I said earlier in the thread, we entered the common market in the 70’s ( without a vote) to form a trading partnership with other European countries. All of a sudden the EU has got a choke hold on us, and it will Only get tighter.
    It’s fast becoming a power state, with shady characters gaining top positions randomly, along with massive wages and pensions.
    As you’ve already said, this present government stinks, and I agree. But it’s a lot easier for us (the people) to change things at home , than it is to change things in the EU.
    Who’s going to want to trade with us? What have we to offer? The days where Britain was one of the leading powerhouses have gone imo

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Who’s going to want to trade with us? What have we to offer? The days where Britain was one of the leading powerhouses have gone imo
    Exactly, we're going to have to negotiate all these new trade deals from a position of weakness

Exactly, we're going to have to negotiate all these new trade deals from a position of weakness
    What a load of rubbish. The UK is the 5th richest country in the world. We lead the field in many hi-tech industries. What on earth have we got to fear in going it alone.

The EU is a very protectionist Club. It will do us no favours when we leave, or worse in the transition period, when it will do its best to make it difficult for us to trade with the world under their rules.

Many countries envy our talents, democracy, and sovereignty.

For those who feel the referendum vote was not convincing enough, may I remind them that the 4% majority to leave was much greater than the 0.6% majority that went for the Wales Government, and everyone accepted that as a democratic result.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    What a load of rubbish. The UK is the 5th richest country in the world. We lead the field in many hi-tech industries. What on earth have we got to fear in going it alone.

The EU is a very protectionist Club. It will do us no favours when we leave, or worse in the transition period, when it will do its best to make it difficult for us to trade with the world under their rules.

For those who feel the referendum vote was not convincing enough, may I remind them that the 4% majority to leave was much greater than the 0.6% majority that went for the Wales Government, and everyone accepted that as a democratic result.
    The key question to answer is whether the UK has the 5th strongest economy in the world because of or despite being a member of the world's largest trading bloc for over 40 years. I guess we will find out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

And even better 2nd in debt

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Using that logic, the cast of 'I'm a Celebrity' (with greater viewing figures recorded this year) should have even more political clout than her....
    And Gareth Southgate's England team would be in power , with their 23 million v Croatia.

I think footballer wages are all above board. They are salaried and pay NI and income tax. The loopholes come with their other incomes.
    What f"kin planet are you on ?