+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The fake epidemic of fake news

Re: The fake epidemic of fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

Have you got the John Pilger war on China thing on itv? shocking.
    Has Gluey "triangulated" this to confirm it's veracity?

Have you got the John Pilger war on China thing on itv? shocking.
    I'm taking full credit for this one, Rjk and lardy have accused me of making up stories about China-US relations, so I'm claiming this one as my own

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    No need mate, I read a report from the president of the CFR three years ago, and when he became a national security adviser to Trump earlier this year, it was obvious where they would be heading if Trump won the presidential election.

Blog Entries

What?

This has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen, the BBC advising people on how to avoid 'fake news'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/38053324

Some of the biggest peddlers of ‘fake news’ and ‘post-truth politics’ out there are saying the same things, here are just a few..

CNN recommended a "triple check before you share" rule, maybe they should take their own advice?
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/30/medi...inkId=30509412

How To Recognize A Fake News Story
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b058ce7aaba169

Angela Merkel warns against internet trolls and 'fake news' that threaten democracy
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/angela-merk...ocracy-1593148

Fake News May Not Be Protected Speech
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...otected-speech

Don't be fooled by this sudden concern for truth, this is a fake epidemic of fake news, this is an attack on alternative media, google and facebook are already banning 'fake news' web sites from their advertising networks and there are calls for more to be done, you don't have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to work out where this is going..
    It isn't an attack on "alternative" media. It's basic education. Before quoting a source and a story, read it first, and get a few other sources. Simple.

How often do people post links to stories that haven't been read first?

I picked those randomly out of the 'fake news' search results, my point is they are all saying the same things, I just selected a few that's all, I've never heard of Al Monitor and I don't use foreignpolicy either.

You must have seen some of my previous posts about the bbc?
    What do you use then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It isn't an attack on "alternative" media. It's basic education. Before quoting a source and a story, read it first, and get a few other sources. Simple.

How often do people post links to stories that haven't been read first?
    I know all that but that's not really what I'm talking about here.

I use all sorts.

I've noticed a pattern regarding these reports about fake news. There is a disproportionate overuse of the words fake, conspiracy and theory, and many of these articles do not even disclose who the writers are. Also they never attribute quotes to an identifiable person. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I'm guessing it is something to do with legal ramifications? Does anybody have any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've noticed a pattern regarding these reports about fake news. There is a disproportionate overuse of the words fake, conspiracy and theory, and many of these articles do not even disclose who the writers are. Also they never attribute quotes to an identifiable person. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I'm guessing it is something to do with legal ramifications? Does anybody have any other ideas?
    I think the word "fake" is a fairly decent word to describe something fake. Just a hunch though.

Blog Entries

I think the word "fake" is a fairly decent word to describe something fake. Just a hunch though.
    Fabricated is a good word, the beeb should know that one.

I'm a fence-sitter like you, I'm just trying to see things objectively from both sides, but my mind did seem like it was under subliminal attack reading some of that stuff

Blog Entries

I'm a fence-sitter like you, I'm just trying to see things objectively from both sides, but my mind did seem like it was under subliminal attack reading some of that stuff
    You are kidding right?

You are kidding right?
    No I always sit on the fence until the facts present themselves. So far nobody has made a watertight case one way or the other. So I will remain sitting on the fence

Blog Entries

No I always sit on the fence until the facts present themselves. So far nobody has made a watertight case one way or the other. So I will remain sitting on the fence
    We are going to need a bigger fence.

We are going to need a bigger fence.
    preferable barbed wire

Those damn Russians have been at it again spreading fake stories https://mobile.twitter.com/johnpodes...98457140609024
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 14-12-16 at 00:09.

The way the media have sold this aleppo liberation is pretty odd.

Armageddon type rhetoric.

And the UN "believe" people have died. "We hope it isn't true".

Then the main networks run with it as the syrian government have murdered loads.

Comes across as a concerted effort to write it into the history books as genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

Then the main networks run with it as the syrian government have murdered loads.

Comes across as a concerted effort to write it into the history books as genocide.
    Boris has already spilled the beans, it's a proxy war hence all the BS flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

The UK media seem reluctant to portray what is happening in Aleppo as a 'liberation'. They also keep on forgetting to mention that the anti-Assad forces in Aleppo are mostly al-Qaeda.

A decent piece by Peter Oborne in this week's Spectator (right of centre) on double standards in western reporting:http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/y...-about-aleppo/

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    The UK media seem reluctant to portray what is happening in Aleppo as a 'liberation'. They also keep on forgetting to mention that the anti-Assad forces in Aleppo are mostly al-Qaeda.

A decent piece by Peter Oborne in this week's Spectator (right of centre) on double standards in western reporting:http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/y...-about-aleppo/

That's an incredibly damning indictment of the west and the lying western media - the BBC and the Guardian called out, too.

Thanks Nelson for posting that video. Interesting that the Canadian journalist highlighted the duplicity of the Guardian. What an absolute disgrace that paper is - I stopped reading it in March 2003, having been a reader for 25 years. Truly evil rag, worse than the Sun - and I say that as a Hillsborough survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    That's an incredibly damning indictment of the west and the lying western media - the BBC and the Guardian called out, too.
    At least they got the story about Kayne West and Donald Trump right

Mark Thompson, the man who covered up the Jimmy Savile scandal at the BBC, and now in charge of the New York Times shares his views on fake news. Some interesting comments follow the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nalism-digital

As a balance to the above article, some views from the alternative media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25XFMRr74rA