+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leicester midfield

Leicester midfield

After having brought Youri Tielemans to the club, they now have a midfield three of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison, who are all either 21 or 22.

They all have massive potential, and in a few years could all be playing champions league football regularly.

The financial and reputational enhancement that they received from winning the league does seem to be being put to good use (also not being in immediate threat of relegation helps a lot when deciding to play youngsters).

They've just played really well against spurs, man u and liverpool, but only come away with 1 point from those 3 games. However, they have a run of games coming up that sees them playing pretty much all of our relegation rivals

I would love to see us assembling a squad of bright young talent at some point in the future - but I can appreciate that now is not the time for us

Re: Leicester midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    After having brought Youri Tielemans to the club, they now have a midfield three of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison, who are all either 21 or 22.

They all have massive potential, and in a few years could all be playing champions league football regularly.

The financial and reputational enhancement that they received from winning the league does seem to be being put to good use (also not being in immediate threat of relegation helps a lot when deciding to play youngsters).

They've just played really well against spurs, man u and liverpool, but only come away with 1 point from those 3 games. However, they have a run of games coming up that sees them playing pretty much all of our relegation rivals

I would love to see us assembling a squad of bright young talent at some point in the future - but I can appreciate that now is not the time for us
    Them playing our rivals is not good for us. They seem poorer v the worse sides. Another side who will probably change their manager soon.

But yes they have an excellent squad of potential.

Don't forget Choudary

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Don't forget Choudary
    And Harvey Barnes, Ben Chillwell, and Harry McGuire is still relatively young as well.
    Just a pity (for them) Kelechi Iheanacho doesn't look like living upto his early promise.

Leicester are a really weird side though, they're capable of being brilliant and awful at the same time. Something isn't right, and it isn't just the manager.

We're just about making strides to get younger, first of all I'd like to see us sign a few 23/24 year olds that have experience and get a younger squad, and then start bringing in players with potential to supplement these. If, and I hope we do stay up, I think they'll invest to kick on. If they were going to spend £20m on Wesley and £10m on Tameze then I can see us spending £50/60m on 3 or 4 players in the summer. Almamy Traore would have been a great signing and the type we should be targetting. Young, cheap and has potential. Ideal!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    And Harvey Barnes, Ben Chillwell, and Harry McGuire is still relatively young as well.
    Just a pity (for them) Kelechi Iheanacho doesn't look like living upto his early promise.
    I'd be weary of signing strikers from Man City. Obviously Aguero and Jesus are incredible players but they've got such good midfielders that I'd think I'd score one or two in their team! It's ridiculous how good Silva, B.Silva, KDB, Gundogan, Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, etc are. I watched Silva play for Spain against Croatia, and I was completely blown away by him and Iniesta. It was an absolute joke how good they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'd be weary of signing strikers from Man City. Obviously Aguero and Jesus are incredible players but they've got such good midfielders that I'd think I'd score one or two in their team! It's ridiculous how good Silva, B.Silva, KDB, Gundogan, Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, etc are. I watched Silva play for Spain against Croatia, and I was completely blown away by him and Iniesta. It was an absolute joke how good they were.
    I wouldn’t be tired of bringing in anyone of Man City’s squad.

Leicester are a really weird side though, they're capable of being brilliant and awful at the same time. Something isn't right, and it isn't just the manager.
    My gut feeling is that's fairly typical of teams with young, talented players. Some weeks it'll click, and others they'll come up against wily experienced pros who just out game them.

Puel out!

It really is great to see more youngsters being blooded in the top flight lately.

It's difficult in the top 4 or 5 but I think the way to go is for championship clubs in particular to invest in cat 1 academies.

I think it would cost about 3 million a year but if you've got a vision like Leicester have shown then the chances are that you'll reclaim the costs.

Swansea have brought through Fulton, Roberts, Harris, Rodon, James, Grimes, Mcburnie, Byers and I think Mulder this season.

I know they bought a couple of those to go into their academy team but they all cost less than 1 million and now they'd be worth at least 40 million between them which would enable their academy to fund itself for the next 15 years at cat 1 level, not to mention the savings made in not having to buy players.

You'd hope that our Premiership status would be attracting better under 23 development players to kick start next year .

Reid ,Murphy ,Harris ,Healey are young so may offer something next year ,but after that ?

It really is great to see more youngsters being blooded in the top flight lately.

It's difficult in the top 4 or 5 but I think the way to go is for championship clubs in particular to invest in cat 1 academies.

I think it would cost about 3 million a year but if you've got a vision like Leicester have shown then the chances are that you'll reclaim the costs.

Swansea have brought through Fulton, Roberts, Harris, Rodon, James, Grimes, Mcburnie, Byers and I think Mulder this season.

I know they bought a couple of those to go into their academy team but they all cost less than 1 million and now they'd be worth at least 40 million between them which would enable their academy to fund itself for the next 15 years at cat 1 level, not to mention the savings made in not having to buy players.
    I know our club were willing to do a Burnley this season but part of that must be improving the academy structure and pathway into our first team. Since Dyche has come in they've sold 7 players for greater than £3million which has been a massive boost to what they can do, but I really can't see us selling any more than perhaps one of our current crop for more than £3million.

They have obviously benefited from Pep's years coaching the kids. What years were those again? They really transformed him into the coach he is today, and are the benchmark for modern coaching development.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They have obviously benefited from Pep's years coaching the kids. What years were those again? They really transformed him into the coach he is today, and are the benchmark for modern coaching development.
    Come on WB you had a mare in that Fred, it’s ok to be wrong sometimes

Seriously, have a day off. You were wrong, you got called out, accept it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Come on WB you had a mare in that Fred, it’s ok to be wrong sometimes
    Sometimes!

Seriously, have a day off. You were wrong, you got called out, accept it and move on.
    I stand by my opinion that any footballer who has been around the professional game for 20 years should be sent off to do his Pro licence, and then fast-tracked into manament, i.e. given a role such as the one Bellamy has with the U18's, or work with the reserves. The idea that they should coach a bunch of kids, the vast majority of whom won't even be offered professional contracts, is not your best idea.

PS I'm still waiting for your info, so that I can update my Pep files!

Heisenberg

I stand by my opinion that any footballer who has been around the professional game for 20 years should be sent off to do his Pro licence, and then fast-tracked into manament, i.e. given a role such as the one Bellamy has with the U18's, or work with the reserves. The idea that they should coach a bunch of kids, the vast majority of whom won't even be offered professional contracts, is not your best idea.

Please keep digging

Bellamy IS working with the kids. That's what people mean, who do you still not get this? I have replied on another thread but Pep coached Barcelona's B team, which is a youth team for all intents and purposes. Also, some of the other managers I mentioned on that thread worked at lower age levels such as Hasenhuttl and Rodgers.

Bellamy IS working with the kids. That's what people mean, who do you still not get this? I have replied on another thread but Pep coached Barcelona's B team, which is a youth team for all intents and purposes. Also, some of the other managers I mentioned on that thread worked at lower age levels such as Hasenhuttl and Rodgers.
    How*

Bellamy IS working with the kids. That's what people mean, who do you still not get this?
    Using that definition Warnock is also working with kids, but that is not his primary role.

Sometimes!
    A bit harsh that

I have replied on another thread but Pep coached Barcelona's B team, which is a youth team for all intents and purposes.
    I see, so he was coaching a group of players who were all on professional terms. It's hardly coaching a bunch of kids is it

I see, so he was coaching a group of players who were all on professional terms. It's hardly coaching a bunch of kids is it
    You genuinely think you've won this argument, don't you? Although, ignoring other facts such as Rodgers and Hasenhuttl working at lower levels does help.

When people say kids, they mean not the first team. Youth teams, or young pros. Bellamy was working with the kids as his primary role.

Guardiola was on a faster.track than most, but coaching is a very different skill set to playing, it is absolutely not the case that any professional player can retire, get his badges and expect to be a good coach. This kind of thinking especially in British football has held us back.