+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vast Collection of Cardiff City Memorabilia for sale at Auction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Vast Collection of Cardiff City Memorabilia for sale at Auction

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    What is going on ?

The auctioneers website say that this Saturday's auction of Cardiff City memorabilia will go ahead "contrary to rumours"

https://www.lockdales.com
    Do we assume the club are not interested, being held to ransom on price ? I would love to know who is selling and why in Ipswich ?

*Please Note: The Cardiff City football memorabilia in this Saturday's (25th) Auction will be sold as normal (contrary to rumours). Any questions you may contact 01473627110

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    Do we assume the club are not interested, being held to ransom on price ? I would love to know who is selling and why in Ipswich ?

*Please Note: The Cardiff City football memorabilia in this Saturday's (25th) Auction will be sold as normal (contrary to rumours). Any questions you may contact 01473627110
    Lockdales tour the country and have an open day or two in Merthyr in a couple of weeks, so maybe the idea of an auction house coming to this area saves the trouble of taking all the stuff elsewhere. Although Anthemion in Cardiff would have been more conveneient or SPortingold as they seem to be the experts in football memorabilia, although their owner died just before Xmas, but their January auction went ahead last week. But there again may be it's picking an auction house in Ipswich to appear that the source of the lots is not from this area? But maybe the club are juts not interested, but that contradicts what has been previously stated above. Maybe there is a contract between the auction house and the vendor , that if the lots are withdrawn then sold privately then the auction house can charge fees based on the estimate? A bit like if someone take tehir hosue off the market from an estate agent and tries to sell it privately.

Watch this space I think over the next few days.

Yeah all sounds credible, it`s the apparent mystery of the seller has me a little intrigued to be honest. TLG mentioned possible Journos. from the 80`s and that has got me trying to remember , the likes of Shepherd, Jackson, Boon, Lovejoy and others. I can`t see the problem, unless they are dodgy, but as you say it might come out and be meaningless.

Yeah all sounds credible, it`s the apparent mystery of the seller has me a little intrigued to be honest. TLG mentioned possible Journos. from the 80`s and that has got me trying to remember , the likes of Shepherd, Jackson, Boon, Lovejoy and others. I can`t see the problem, unless they are dodgy, but as you say it might come out and be meaningless.
    Yes it's one of those you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes it's one of those you mention.
    From the Wales Online article posted above

The memorabilia, believed to have been in the ownership of the club's historian, was due to raise thousands of pounds at an auction in East Anglia on Saturday.

Whoever it is are they selling stuff they had no right to take? Is that why the club are trying to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    From the Wales Online article posted above

The memorabilia, believed to have been in the ownership of the club's historian, was due to raise thousands of pounds at an auction in East Anglia on Saturday.

Whoever it is are they selling stuff they had no right to take? Is that why the club are trying to stop it.
    “Over the years I’ve collected a lot of memorabilia for the Cardiff City archives and I’m looking forward to the move to the new stadium.” I bet he was

THE final days of Ninian Park have certainly brought out a lot of nostalgia for me,” admitted Richard, who become editor of Cardiff’s matchday programme in 1985. I bet it did

Taken from WOL article from 2009

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...epherd-2114993

“Over the years I’ve collected a lot of memorabilia for the Cardiff City archives and I’m looking forward to the move to the new stadium.” I bet he was

THE final days of Ninian Park have certainly brought out a lot of nostalgia for me,” admitted Richard, who become editor of Cardiff’s matchday programme in 1985. I bet it did
    Very easy to take pot-shots in retrospect, but I think you're out of order.

The Walesonline article a few days ago said "It is understood the collection was gathering dust and rescued from the old Ninian Park, when the ground was demolished 11 years ago."

However, I'm certain I viewed the boardroom ledgers in the vendor's house long before that. I believe it's 100% certain that some of these items would have been thrown away and lost forever if he hadn't taken ownership of them when he did, and I'm also 100% certain that he's never received anything even close to the sort of financial benefits from the club that he should have for the countless hours of work he put into it over a period of decades.