+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lamouchi and Bamba....

Re: Lamouchi and Bamba....

Lamouchi made use of a fair few young players when he was at Forest - Worrall, Cash & Yates were all in their early 20s and played plenty of games. He gave games to teenagers Alex Mighten & Brennan Johnson as well, so clearly has trust in younger players which is a good thing

Forest were a real mess before he turned up, I think I read he was the first manager to last a full season there in 9 years? It all went wrong at the end but he clearly did a good job

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Forest were a real mess before he turned up.....
    Really? In 2018/19 under Karanka and then O'Neill, Forest finished 9th in the Championship on 66 points. In 2019/20 under Lamouchi, they finished 7th on 70 points. Hardly an earth-shattering improvement. They were bottom of the table on zero points after four games (and had been knocked out of the League Cup) when he was sacked in October 2020, having scored just one goal in five matches.

To be honest, I'm a bit non-plussed by the reaction to this appointment (if it happens). It's a major relief that Whitehead isn't going to lead the team for the rest of the season as he looks like a rabbit in the headlights, but this guy hardly has what could be described as an impressive record at club level. Who knows, he may do well here and I hope he does after the garbage we've witnessed in recent seasons, but there's nothing on his CV that makes me confident he will.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    This is what my grandaughter's partner (a Forest fan) had to say: -"Sabri was the spearhead that reunited the fans and the club, played very good football and very solid defensively."
    His Forest side in 2019/20 were indeed solid defensively. Only four sides (Leeds, West Brom, Brentford and Fulham, who finished as the top four in that order) conceded fewer goals.

However, Lamouchi's team scored just 58 goals that season. To put that into perspective, 13 teams scored more than Forest and the bottom side (Hull City) scored 57. The Cardiff steam led by Neil Harris scored 68 goals in 2019/20 - ten more than Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    One question, though? Who will be our manager in November?
    Bamba. The past, present and future.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Whilst keeping the third as first team coach. Genius.
    🤣👏

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Really? In 2018/19 under Karanka and then O'Neill, Forest finished 9th in the Championship on 66 points. In 2019/20 under Lamouchi, they finished 7th on 70 points. Hardly an earth-shattering improvement. They were bottom of the table on zero points after four games (and had been knocked out of the League Cup) when he was sacked in October 2020, having scored just one goal in five matches.

To be honest, I'm a bit non-plussed by the reaction to this appointment (if it happens). It's a major relief that Whitehead isn't going to lead the team for the rest of the season as he looks like a rabbit in the headlights, but this guy hardly has what could be described as an impressive record at club level. Who knows, he may do well here and I hope he does after the garbage we've witnessed in recent seasons, but there's nothing on his CV that makes me confident he will.
    He said mess. A club can be a mess and still win games.

It's been said over and over how he brought the club together, players fans and staff etc. Improved players etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It is a good, solid appointment.

An appointment like this should have followed McCarthy but you can't have everything. Well done to them for bringing this bloke in though.

Hopefully this is a turning point on and off the field. Onwards and upwards.
    Fair play 🙃

His managerial statistics are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabri_Lamouchi

From that, he's been unemployed for the past 17 months. That seems a long time as the football manager merry-go-round whizzes ever faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    From that, he's been unemployed for the past 17 months. That seems a long time as the football manager merry-go-round whizzes ever faster.
    Rennes finished 9th in the French top flight 2016/17. They were tenth in the table when Lamouchi took over in November 2017. He'd lifted them up to fifth by the end of the 2017/18 season, which was good going, but he was sacked in December 2018 while they languished in 14th place.

He seems to have brought about swift improvements at Rennes and Forest, but the effect has been short-term in both cases. Forest's end-of-season implosion was spectacular in 2019/20 and they were in a real mess by the time Lamouchi was sacked - a situation that didn't change until Steve Cooper took over.

La.. Bamba

Mind you, Bielsa reportedly arrived at Heathrow. Probably couldn't get a flight into Cardiff. Perhaps we need a thread on the demise of Cardiff airport.
    Last edited by John Buchanan; 26-01-23 at 18:36. Reason: More

So is it official?

At start of each season, I buy the Racing Post's annual Big Kick-Off betting guide, and I keep them as it's always amusing to look back and see what the bookies got right and what they didn't. I think the following is interesting regarding Lamouchi at Forest. It's from the Post's Championship previews for 2019/20 and 2020/21.

In 2019/20, the Post's tipster fancied Forest for promotion, which was a 7/1 chance. He predicted they'd finish fourth and wrote:

"The battle for play-off places will be as intense as ever and Nottingham Forest could be major players if their new manager Sabri Lamouchi can get the best out of a talented squad. Since Greek shipping magnate Angelos Marinakis bought the club two years ago there has been a lot of investment, but high expectations have not been met and the football has often been too cautious.

"Nevertheless, last season's points tally of 66 was 13 better than the previous season and there is scope for further improvement under Lamouchi. He is new to English football but seems to know what he wants. Crucially, he has inherited some strong offensive players such as Joao Carvalho, Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban. Getting the best out of them will be key, but Forest are likely to play a more positive brand of football and it may help them bridge the gap to the top six."

The same tipster predicted they'd finish 7th in 2020/21. His pre-season write-up said:

"Missing out on the play-offs was a massive disappointment for Forest, who spent much of the 2019/20 campaign pushing for a top-two finish. However, they were overly defensive at times and their 58-goal tally was the second lowest of the division's top 15 clubs. Adding Lyle Taylor to the squad might help in that regard, but they look likely to fall short again."

At start of each season, I buy the Racing Post's annual Big Kick-Off betting guide, and I keep them as it's always amusing to look back and see what the bookies got right and what they didn't. I think the following is interesting regarding Lamouchi at Forest. It's from the Post's Championship previews for 2019/20 and 2020/21.

In 2019/20, the Post's tipster fancied Forest for promotion, which was a 7/1 chance. He predicted they'd finish fourth and wrote:

"The battle for play-off places will be as intense as ever and Nottingham Forest could be major players if their new manager Sabri Lamouchi can get the best out of a talented squad. Since Greek shipping magnate Angelos Marinakis bought the club two years ago there has been a lot of investment, but high expectations have not been met and the football has often been too cautious.

"Nevertheless, last season's points tally of 66 was 13 better than the previous season and there is scope for further improvement under Lamouchi. He is new to English football but seems to know what he wants. Crucially, he has inherited some strong offensive players such as Joao Carvalho, Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban. Getting the best out of them will be key, but Forest are likely to play a more positive brand of football and it may help them bridge the gap to the top six."

The same tipster predicted they'd finish 7th in 2020/21. His pre-season write-up said:

"Missing out on the play-offs was a massive disappointment for Forest, who spent much of the 2019/20 campaign pushing for a top-two finish. However, they were overly defensive at times and their 58-goal tally was the second lowest of the division's top 15 clubs. Adding Lyle Taylor to the squad might help in that regard, but they look likely to fall short again."
    You don’t appear to be enamoured with this possible appointment.

Is this the new firm of accountants that has opened on Albany Road?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Eddie Newton was carried off the pitch because he was the best player we had. And the best player we'd had for some time. We didn't even make the playoffs that year. But he formed a nice partnership with Nathan Blake. In Division 4.
    I know , I helped chair him off with 200 others

That's often talked about on here

Therefore by definition its a bit of a legend

I don't quite know what to say to fans like you sometimes

Believe me, I know how to enjoy life. For me, Bamba is not a City legend. It's just my opinion. If you want him to be a legend that's up to you. Why should you care that others disagree?

And for the record, I'd be happy if this comes off. I never wanted Bamba as a manager because to me he's just a bloke that tried hard. But I'm happy for him to be coaching and motivating the players. He may turn out to be a wonderful manager at some point and I hope he does.
    Great

Good to know you are on our side

X

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I'm just a bit puzzled by the enthusiasm of some. You have a few people who post here regularly who give the impression that they know anything and everything there is to know about other teams, their players and managers. I'm certainly not one of those, I have to do a bit of research. But what I do remember about Lamouchi's Forest side is that they weren't exactly thrilling to watch and they didn't score many goals. And, of course, I remember their incredible end-of-season belly-flop.

I also remember Forest were hopeless at the start of the following season and that City were one of the sides who beat them before Lamouchi was sacked. Therefore, I'm a little surprised at the apparent excitement regarding this appointment.

He certainly seems to have brought about an improvement in both Rennes and Forest in the short-term, and City badly need something like that to happen. However, his record suggests the effect didn't last long at either club.

So is it official?
    Yes , you are officially a miserable git

😂

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I sense that too

He's being a bit negative

And that's not like him

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Great

Good to know you are on our side

X
    Of course I'm on "our" side. This is not aimed at you, but all this "you hate Cardiff City" stuff is bollocks. I LOVE Cardiff City. I wish I didn't. it's irrational and it makes me a worse parent and partner. It steals my energy, money, and my time. And I don't even live in South Wales. If I cared less about City and devoted more thought to my family and my job, I'd be a much more productive person. But I can't help it.

Of course I'm on "our" side. This is not aimed at you, but all this "you hate Cardiff City" stuff is bollocks. I LOVE Cardiff City. I wish I didn't. it's irrational and it makes me a worse parent and partner. It steals my energy, money, and my time. And I don't even live in South Wales. If I cared less about City and devoted more thought to my family and my job, I'd be a much more productive person. But I can't help it.
    Are you really sure that you would like to devote more time towards your Family and Job? Jesus buddy, i'm starting to worry...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Are you really sure that you would like to devote more time towards your Family and Job? Jesus buddy, i'm starting to worry...
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I sense that too

He's being a bit negative

And that's not like him
    Not like him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Not like him?
    Oh contraire

He is the harvester of sorrow

I'm just a bit puzzled by the enthusiasm of some. You have a few people who post here regularly who give the impression that they know anything and everything there is to know about other teams, their players and managers. I'm certainly not one of those, I have to do a bit of research. But what I do remember about Lamouchi's Forest side is that they weren't exactly thrilling to watch and they didn't score many goals. And, of course, I remember their incredible end-of-season belly-flop.

I also remember Forest were hopeless at the start of the following season and that City were one of the sides who beat them before Lamouchi was sacked. Therefore, I'm a little surprised at the apparent excitement regarding this appointment.

He certainly seems to have brought about an improvement in both Rennes and Forest in the short-term, and City badly need something like that to happen. However, his record suggests the effect didn't last long at either club.
    I assumed people were excited because he was French.