+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: European Super League imminent?

Sad state of affairs.

They pretty much have all the power. The PL won't kick them out despite the farce the PL would become, because even less money would come in from sponsors (most will already be diverted to this competition).

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Sad state of affairs.

They pretty much have all the power. The PL won't kick them out despite the farce the PL would become, because even less money would come in from sponsors (most will already be diverted to this competition).
    The PL would kick them out.

As regards sponsors: let's face it - broadcasting is the only thing that matters. Sky Sports and BT Sport's main pundits have been vitriolic so far: who knows whether that is with the blessing of those broadcasters or that they simply give their pundits free reign. DAZN have said they were not involved and are not interested in entering into negotiations. These companies have already collectively committed to spending billions to broadcast EPL, La Liga and Serie A. My guess is that they are all absolutely ****ing fuming because this will totally ruin their anticipated earnings for the coming seasons. I suspect they feel conned by these clubs and will absolutely not want to pay, again, to broadcast this league.

I agree with Gary Neville. Even if this doesn't go ahead, stick these clubs at the bottom of the pyramid. Farcical yes, but they've just tried to stage a coup to steal the game. Look at the UEFA statement - a barrier has been crossed here and you can't undo that.

I am also curious as to what the best players will want to do. No doubt a super league would be lucrative but would Ronaldo sacrifice his last world cup to compete in yet another club competition? Is Harry Kane going to want to stay at Spurs with no real prospect of ever winning anything if it means the end of his England career? These footballers are already supremely wealthy - I just don't see that money will be enough for them to elect to be pariahs.