+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ryan Jones Dementia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ryan Jones Dementia

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    With Jeff Astle dying in 2002 from dementia, prolonged knocks to the head were certainly known to be a factor, so the governing body can be held to account IMHO.
    Isn't the counter argument though that as knowledge of the effects of repeated head impacts was widely known, then players were aware of the risks. Why did players, including Ryan Jones, wear headguards if they didn't think there was a risk?
    I think the most realistic outcome of the lawsuit is that changes to the game will be made and not some financial recompense for the players involved.

Re: Ryan Jones Dementia

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isn't the counter argument though that as knowledge of the effects of repeated head impacts was widely known, then players were aware of the risks. Why did players, including Ryan Jones, wear headguards if they didn't think there was a risk?
    I think the most realistic outcome of the lawsuit is that changes to the game will be made and not some financial recompense for the players involved.
    The headgear isnt to prevent injuries like concussion though its for protection for soft tissue damage , cuts , damage to ears.

I still think they are doing far too little. I watched all 3 Wales/ S Africa games. Lads far bigger than what their natural size should be literally smashing into each other repeatedly. Big hit after big hit. Little skill just sheer brute force.