+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oriental....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Oriental....

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Seeing as you’re only 36, then I’d wager I’ve been to hundreds more City games than you. Also if you look a bit further up the thread, I’ve actually said “ when we sing “1 nil to the sheep shaggers”.
    Never mind. Don’t let that stop you and others who like to jump into a thread without reading through it and spout a load of pish. ��
    I can absolutely promise you it won't

Very entertaining thread but I still can't believe the original post. Are we trying to decimate the English language ? To my mind the word oriental means of the east, end of story. No ifs or buts or maybes. It's been the answer to so many crossword clues over the years (and still is) I find it laughable that anyone can consider the word offensive. I hate political correctness at the best of times and if this is what the future holds I feel sorry for the up and coming generation, whose mother tongue gets diluted week by week. This is not me condoning the n word or the like, which are rightly considered to be offensive but we have to draw the line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Very entertaining thread but I still can't believe the original post. Are we trying to decimate the English language ? To my mind the word oriental means of the east, end of story. No ifs or buts or maybes. It's been the answer to so many crossword clues over the years (and still is) I find it laughable that anyone can consider the word offensive. I hate political correctness at the best of times and if this is what the future holds I feel sorry for the up and coming generation, whose mother tongue gets diluted week by week. This is not me condoning the n word or the like, which are rightly considered to be offensive but we have to draw the line somewhere.
    The word itself isn't offensive, I don't think anyone has said it was.
    If I said the "new girl in work is an oriental" then that does seem a little ignorant and offensive. By no means as obliquely offensive as some things, but certainly not something I would say, it just doesn't seem right.

Other things like, some artwork or a rug for example it wouldn't seem as bad.

I absolutely do not feel sorry for the younger generation that they are more aware of the intricacies of these things when talking to people of different backgrounds. They will inevitably be more successful at it than older generations and that can only lead to richer and more fulfilling lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You've just outed yourself as a bigoted far-right extremist who reads offensive racist material!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You've just outed yourself as a bigoted far-right extremist who reads offensive racist material!
    You aren't as funny as you think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You aren't as funny as you think you are.
    It didn't take long for the thought police to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It didn't take long for the thought police to show up.
    Eh? In what way was that thought police?