+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that depends entirely on your definition of better
    We really have got to get out of this siege mentality, small country syndrome.
    As a born and bred Cardiff boy, i am so proud of all our national sporting teams.
    Ok, so your PE teacher may have forced the oval ball game on you, and the media maybe rugby biased, and other countries may stereotype us as a rugby nation, but we really should be moving away from all that claptrap now.We continually punch above our weight in rugby and football, so lets be proud of that.
    In Italy, France, England, Ireland and Scotland both sports thrive, with no small minded animosity .

I wonder now if we'll get more than a 30 second clip of it at the CCS before City games before the 10 second clip of that Frank Hennessy noise....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    I wonder now if we'll get more than a 30 second clip of it at the CCS before City games before the 10 second clip of that Frank Hennessy noise....
    I quite like the Hennessy clip. Yes, it's old school and stereotypical, but he's as much a part of Cardiff - more, arguably - as Dafydd Iwan, and I say that as a proud Welsh speaker who'd love nothing more than to see more people use the language. Yma o Hyd is a tub-thumping anthem that I've shouted (my voice is awful) more times than I care to remember, but the club and city represent Welsh speakers and non-Welsh speakers alike. To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised the song seems to have been adopted so readily by non-Welsh speakers.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm starting to get a bit concerned that Yma o Hyd is becoming too mainstream and far too overplayed. It's an awful comparison, but it feels like our version of Sweet Caroline, which used to be a nice song, but is now played everywhere, from numerous betting adverts to every England game.

I would far rather have the full version of Yma o Hyd played before the City games than the Hennessy clip. But I understand where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    I would far rather have the full version of Yma o Hyd played before the City games than the Hennessy clip. But I understand where you're coming from.

Why turn a perfectly good thread into a football v rugby battle. Childish from any side that resorts to this.

This song is all about bringing Wales together to show we’re still here….not still here apart from those rugby/football lot. Grow up