+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lack of Composure in Possession

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lack of Composure in Possession

Our players just don't have the quickness of thought or anticipation that 99% of other premier league players do. When Warnock says we're limited, he's not wrong.

Playing a passing game to cut through teams requires intelligence and movement, which most of our squad don't have.

We need new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Our players just don't have the quickness of thought or anticipation that 99% of other premier league players do. When Warnock says we're limited, he's not wrong.

Playing a passing game to cut through teams requires intelligence and movement, which most of our squad don't have.

We need new players.
    I think it is a matter of coaching and a deliberate choice of tactics rather than player ability. People don't get to be professionals at Championship/Premier League level without the basic ability to pass reasonably accurately. We simply don't attempt to do so. Our guys are obviously told to get it forward as quickly as possible without any real regard for accuracy. Arter is an example. When he first arrived he would win the ball, calmly bring under control, and look for someone to play a pass too. He moved the ball forward but usually.accurately. He has now joined the headless chicken bunch and was as bad as anybody on Saturday. The sad thing is that we can pass as shown by our 17 pass goal against, I think, Brighton. Two years of coaching by Warnock and his assistants have produced the rubbish we saw at the weekend. I don't expect us to be like Manchester City but I don't expect us to be like a bad Legue 2 side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I think it is a matter of coaching and a deliberate choice of tactics rather than player ability. People don't get to be professionals at Championship/Premier League level without the basic ability to pass reasonably accurately. We simply don't attempt to do so. Our guys are obviously told to get it forward as quickly as possible without any real regard for accuracy. Arter is an example. When he first arrived he would win the ball, calmly bring under control, and look for someone to play a pass too. He moved the ball forward but usually.accurately. He has now joined the headless chicken bunch and was as bad as anybody on Saturday. The sad thing is that we can pass as shown by our 17 pass goal against, I think, Brighton. Two years of coaching by Warnock and his assistants have produced the rubbish we saw at the weekend. I don't expect us to be like Manchester City but I don't expect us to be like a bad Legue 2 side.
    It's player ability in my opinion. Most of the squad is the same as what OGS/Slade had.

Warnock simply identified what we COULD do, and built his tactics around it.

Now, we need better, more intelligent players.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    It's player ability in my opinion. Most of the squad is the same as what OGS/Slade had.

Warnock simply identified what we COULD do, and built his tactics around it.

Now, we need better, more intelligent players.
    I agree that with the squad we have we can't expect them to play a wholly passing based game. Given that, I don't disagree with Warnock's basic approach.He did wonders to get us promoted that way although it was horrible to watch at times. But the low level of accuracy with the passes we do play is shockingly bad. It is possible to get the ball forward quickly and accurately. A few passes to our strikers feet rather than 7 feet in the air hoping he might flick on to teammates who are usually nowhere near him would be a start.

I agree that with the squad we have we can't expect them to play a wholly passing based game. Given that, I don't disagree with Warnock's basic approach.He did wonders to get us promoted that way although it was horrible to watch at times. But the low level of accuracy with the passes we do play is shockingly bad. It is possible to get the ball forward quickly and accurately. A few passes to our strikers feet rather than 7 feet in the air hoping he might flick on to teammates who are usually nowhere near him would be a start.
    Yeah agree with your last point. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

Good post (well, I agree with you anyway!). Our players have proved plenty of times in the past two years that they are better than they looked on Saturday, but the way we play means that we look appalling when we have a bad day or someone gets the measure of us.

Essentially, we play the way Warnock sides have played throughout his thirty seven or thirty eight years in management and, at 70, I don't see him changing his approach any time soon.