+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Signings from non-league football

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Signings from non-league football

What an interesting debate!

Personally I think the days of uncovering a previously undiscovered "diamond" are sadly gone.
    Why? Partly scouting, partly that anyone decent gets snapped up but mainly I think clubs want instant success and don't have the patience to take a punt on a player and develop him. Bizarrely of course, City seem to snap up experienced players who turn out to be shite, so personally I'd rather do that with a player who didn't cost a fortune.

Another thing about "modern football" that moves it further away from the common man.

It was interesting reading that thread yesterday about the old photos, with players having the FA cup in one hand and a beer and a fag in the other. Different times!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    What an interesting debate!

Personally I think the days of uncovering a previously undiscovered "diamond" are sadly gone.
    Why? Partly scouting, partly that anyone decent gets snapped up but mainly I think clubs want instant success and don't have the patience to take a punt on a player and develop him. Bizarrely of course, City seem to snap up experienced players who turn out to be shite, so personally I'd rather do that with a player who didn't cost a fortune.

Another thing about "modern football" that moves it further away from the common man.

It was interesting reading that thread yesterday about the old photos, with players having the FA cup in one hand and a beer and a fag in the other. Different times!
    You may be right but there still seem to be players out there. Vardy, Andre Grey and Scot Hogan have all come from non-league in recent years. One thing they all have in common is pace. Meite is said to be quick. Let's hope he is the next one to make the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    You may be right but there still seem to be players out there. Vardy, Andre Grey and Scot Hogan have all come from non-league in recent years. One thing they all have in common is pace. Meite is said to be quick. Let's hope he is the next one to make the grade.
    I hope so, but the guys you mention seem to be the exception that proves the rule these days. Fingers crossed