+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Homophobic chanting (HC) the new arrestable offence at football.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Homophobic chanting (HC) the new arrestable offence at football.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    There has to be gay footballers out there. There just has to be.

Because of the constant jokes about homosexuality they clearly stay well in the closet.

Yes there is no venom or hatred in them like the banana throwing of the 70s, but it's death by a million cuts.

The fact that so far the only gay footballer to come out was 30 odd years ago and ended up killing himself clearly highlights there is a problem here

Arrestible offence is a bit far. To be honest I don't think you should be arrested for anything you say unless it's threats to harm or planning harm

With regards to the whole fashanu thing, there seems to be a bit of history being rewritten these days.

I'm pretty sure his suicide followed him being arrested for the sexual assault of a 17 year old in USA. He fled back to England where he took his own life. His suicide note stated that he figured he wouldn't get a fair trial as he was gay.

I'm not saying he didn't suffer chants and abuse from the terraces but that wasn't the reason he killed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    With regards to the whole fashanu thing, there seems to be a bit of history being rewritten these days.

I'm pretty sure his suicide followed him being arrested for the sexual assault of a 17 year old in USA. He fled back to England where he took his own life. His suicide note stated that he figured he wouldn't get a fair trial as he was gay.

I'm not saying he didn't suffer chants and abuse from the terraces but that wasn't the reason he killed himself.
    His own manager (Brian Clough) gave him dogs abuse for it too, I'm sure the arrested contributed but people generally don't kill themselves for one reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    His own manager (Brian Clough) gave him dogs abuse for it too, I'm sure the arrested contributed but people generally don't kill themselves for one reason.
    Of course not. It's usually a culmination of things going badly wrong to the point where you feel there's no coming back.

I'm just saying that there seems to be a narrative that he killed himself because of abuse from the terraces.

Lot more complex than fans giving him stick - especially when he hadn't been playing for years at the time of his death.

It's alright lads the 2 pensioners don't think homophobia and racism are an issue, move on it's sorted.

Throwing banans was "harmless banter" less than 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's alright lads the 2 pensioners don't think homophobia and racism are an issue, move on it's sorted.

Throwing banans was "harmless banter" less than 30 years ago.
    I never said or implied that!
    I said there were "obviously chants which should be outlawed" but most of it is banter.
    I certainly wouldn't chuck bananas or anything else at anyone.