+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Jim Eadie

Big Jim Eadie

Six foot two, eyes of blue.. etc
    The pain of the forgotten Cardiff hero who kept out Real Madrid

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Re: Big Jim Eadie

A bitter sweet story with a couple of interesting revelations re Scoular and Peter Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post

Good read but sad as well

Thanks for that Clive - sad to see what's happened in his life since leaving us (I'd not realised he had to retire so young). A good read spoilt slightly by the awful mistake which has Frank Clark scoring the winner against Real Madrid !

That is a great read - thanks so much for posting it 👍

I’m amazed that he only played 43 games for us (he was the first keeper that I remember so that is probably why)

And....’FRANK Clark’s header’? I never realised that he played for us as well ;-)

Met him at the Real Madrid reunion do at the Holland House Hotel a few years ago. After that night I’m not surprised to see his ‘Alex Ferguson’ nose

First Team

I’m guessing that the injury retirement payment is incorrect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Met him at the Real Madrid reunion do at the Holland House Hotel a few years ago. After that night I’m not surprised to see his ‘Alex Ferguson’ nose
    For whatever reason, we always seem to be blessed with decent keepers and as I rarely used to miss a home game in the late 60's and early 70's I remember Jim well, although it was a surprise to read that he only played 43 games for us. Mind you Bill Irwin who replaced him was a superb goalie too.

We all have a specific timeframe that was special to us as City fans and Jim Eadie's career was smack bang in the middle of mine. Off the top of my head, I would struggle to name our first eleven say 10 years ago but not so during "my" time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    For whatever reason, we always seem to be blessed with decent keepers and as I rarely used to miss a home game in the late 60's and early 70's I remember Jim well, although it was a surprise to read that he only played 43 games for us. Mind you Bill Irwin who replaced him was a superb goalie too.

We all have a specific timeframe that was special to us as City fans and Jim Eadie's career was smack bang in the middle of mine. Off the top of my head, I would struggle to name our first eleven say 10 years ago but not so during "my" time.
    Yeah, those players who played for the City when you first started watching them, remain in your long-term memory.

I can just about remember Jim Eaddie, more so his successor, Bill Irwin. Albert Lamour, Freddie Pethard, Peter Sayer, Clive Charles...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I’m guessing that the injury retirement payment is incorrect as well.
    It made me think too. Half a million payment when he was only on twenty quid a week??? Fifty thousand would seem more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It made me think too. Half a million payment when he was only on twenty quid a week??? Fifty thousand would seem more like it.
    Yes that did seem rather generous. Surely £50,000 which even so would be a decent sum?

Then again it was Peter Taylor handing out the money......

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Yes I agree with that.

I suspect that all fans are the same in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yes that did seem rather generous. Surely £50,000 which even so would be a decent sum?

Then again it was Peter Taylor handing out the money......
    Make that Gordon Taylor :-/ 🙈🙈

N
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Make that Gordon Taylor :-/ ����
    Jesus, that article has a few holes in it doesn’t it. I’m doubting that Scoular was our manager and I saw us beat Real Madrid

N
    Jesus, that article has a few holes in it doesn’t it. I’m doubting that Scoular was our manager and I saw us beat Real Madrid
    lol

It DOES make you wonder.....

Good article nevertheless though.

Jim Eadie was an excellent goalkeeper for City, I remember him well. He played twice when Fred Davies was injured, and when Davies was sold at the end of the season Cardiff signed Frank Parsons as his replacement, but after the 3-4 home defeat to Middlesbrough, back came big Jim for a year or so. Then City signed Bill Irwin and Jim was gone , all too soon, as Parsons was kept on as 2nd choice behind Irwin. He went on to have a good spell at Bristol Rovers but I do feel City let him go too soon.

He was a big , stocky . 'keeper and I won't mention his nickname on here. Sad to see how his injuries have caught up with him.

N
    We played Real Madrid?

Nah your having a laugh.

Whose this Scoular chap anyway?

tpcnw

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yeah, those players who played for the City when you first started watching them, remain in your long-term memory.

I can just about remember Jim Eaddie, more so his successor, Bill Irwin. Albert Lamour, Freddie Pethard, Peter Sayer, Clive Charles...
    Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Harris, Jones, Clark, Lea, Toshack, Bird; Standard team for many months in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Harris, Jones, Clark, Lea, Toshack, Bird; Standard team for many months in 1970.
    Great post Slumdog.

Yes I was at the 70's games as a very young Grange End lad, and being at that Madrid game well what can one say ,other than I was lucky to be at that game just an incredible moment and memory .

"" but life under Scoular, a fearsome Scot himself, was always gruelling.""

"I was knackered by the Saturday! Your legs were just gone."

"Then, on game day itself, he'd take a half bottle of whisky, put it on the table and say 'right, before you go out, everybody has to have a swig'. He said it would give us some fire in our bellies.""

Thanks Jim for the memories , if your reading this you were a great keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Jim Eadie was an excellent goalkeeper for City, I remember him well. He played twice when Fred Davies was injured, and when Davies was sold at the end of the season Cardiff signed Frank Parsons as his replacement, but after the 3-4 home defeat to Middlesbrough, back came big Jim for a year or so. Then City signed Bill Irwin and Jim was gone , all too soon, as Parsons was kept on as 2nd choice behind Irwin. He went on to have a good spell at Bristol Rovers but I do feel City let him go too soon.

He was a big , stocky . 'keeper and I won't mention his nickname on here. Sad to see how his injuries have caught up with him.
    Bill Irwin went to the USA to play /coach and married into a very wealthy Texas family, so Gary Bell told me.

Those names just roll off the tongue for me as well

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

I remember that Middlesbrough game. As fast as we were scoring fantastic goals at one end, Frankie Parsons was throwing them in at the other. Jim was unlucky not to be kept on but Scoular obviously never forgave him for a mistake in a big game in the same way that Bob Wilson (the other other one) never played again after his mistake against Hamburg in the last minute.

Barrie Jones broke his leg in 1969 and never played again. I heard he was a great player though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Barrie Jones broke his leg in 1969 and never played again. I heard he was a great player though.
    Up at Blackpool.

By far the best City team I have seen in my 60 years as a supporter. The Clark/Toshack strike partnership was better than anything else around at the time. We will never see anything like it again.