+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Whittingham

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Whittingham

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure why but he's never struck me as being a coach type person (might be well off here as I don't really know him).

Positional sense he could help but when it comes to shooting I don't think you can coach that. You've either got it or you haven't IMHO.

For me, Whittiingham has to be one of the best midfielders ever to pull a city shirt on, but you also have to remember that Whitts did have the luxury of playing with good players and was allowed to play his way.
    I remember him being very ordinarily at times. For example he got found wanting when he was asked to track back more playing a different system or with lesser talented players around him.

On the whole he was special though.
    Oh for a Whitts (or McPhail) now. Someone who can put their foot on it, find a bit of space and pick a killer pass.
    Ralls might develop into that person but he's not there yet and his injuries might take their toll. Lets hope not.
    If we did have this person then the forwards we have I am sure would benefit.
    With our current defensive frailties though i'm afraid our priority has to be keepin' 'em out!
    You can definitely coach shooting technique, how to strike the ball in different situations comes from coaching more so than from instinct. He could teach a few of them how to pass as well while he's at it

Look at the way Gareth Bale or Harry Wilson strike the ball for example, that's coached not instinct

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You can definitely coach shooting technique, how to strike the ball in different situations comes from coaching more so than from instinct. He could teach a few of them how to pass as well while he's at it

Look at the way Gareth Bale or Harry Wilson strike the ball for example, that's coached not instinct
    I would suggest its down to practice and nurturing an already natural talent rather than coaching. Both players you mention were already good strikers of the ball from a young age.

Unsurprisingly, they are all left footers, who seem to be better strikers of the ball than right footed players.

You couldnt coach the way Whitts struck the ball, that was natural. I used to enjoy watching him in the warm up when the attacking players took shots at the goalkeeper and his striking and accuracy were second to none. Cornelius on the other hand. He couldnt even hit the target in the warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I would suggest its down to practice and nurturing an already natural talent rather than coaching. Both players you mention were already good strikers of the ball from a young age.

Unsurprisingly, they are all left footers, who seem to be better strikers of the ball than right footed players.

You couldnt coach the way Whitts struck the ball, that was natural. I used to enjoy watching him in the warm up when the attacking players took shots at the goalkeeper and his striking and accuracy were second to none. Cornelius on the other hand. He couldnt even hit the target in the warm up.
    Hasnt Cornelius since played champions league football.
    And for his national side ?